How long do NiCd batteries last?

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Hmmm... apparently they were made in Japan. Just wonder how many facilities producing rechargeable AA batteries there were in Japan. Could it be that they were made by what's now the FDK factory (also known as the Takasaki factory)? This formerly belonged to Sanyo, but only since 2000 when they bought it from Toshiba. I don't know what was there in the 80's, however. ;-)

Dragracer

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... apparently they were made in Japan. Just wonder how many facilities producing rechargeable AA batteries there were in Japan. Could it be that they were made by what's now the FDK factory (also known as the Takasaki factory)? This formerly belonged to Sanyo, but only since 2000 when they bought it from Toshiba. I don't know what was there in the 80's, however. ;-)

I don't know... but I have seen NiCds from Sanyo, Panasonic, Hitachi, Fuji and Yuasa 'Made In Japan'.
Maybe the Hitachis were produced by some of the big brands, but I think all the others had their own facilities.

I have seen Panasonic NiCds Made in Indonesia and Belgium, too.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those batteries say Matsushita Electric on them. That was a big company, there were the parent company of Panasonic back in the day.

Dragracer

Newly Enlightened
Another good example for the longevity of NiCd batteries are the Sanyo KR-5000DEL D size rechargeables with 5000mAh

Around ~25 years old, used very often and not always treated very well... still getting 4500mAh out of them at 5A.

Rexlion

Enlightened
NiCd cells wouldn't last 2 minutes with me, I'd chuck 'em. I hate their memory effect! But YMMV, for sure.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
NiCd cells wouldn't last 2 minutes with me, I'd chuck 'em. I hate their memory effect! But YMMV, for sure.

+1. Their longevity is cool but low capacity and high level of self discharge sucks. Not to mention they're filled with god-awful cadmium.

Give me li-ion any day!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
best use for ni-cads seems like low power, long duration uses where they're going to be fully discharged every time, solar garden lights for instance... but their toxicity, and the long term harm they could cause makes them undesirable to me.

I'm interested in playing around with making a supercap solar light with a photo sensor.
I think it would be a neat product.
Presumably, while the energy density of the super cap is lower, it's lifespan will exceed even ni-cad, and a larger volume won't be a negative, and I'm guessing that because it's energy storage is not based upon chemical reaction, that it will not be as much affected by extreme cold weather.