How lost would you be without your EDC light(s) ?

sharkchild

Newly Enlightened
When i got to sleep sometimes i will forget my e2e in the truck. so i have to get up and get it. i can't go to sleep unless it is next to me and my gun.

Last semester i was taking a night class. i forget my e2e at home so i turned around to go get it. call me crazy but i don't like the lighting in the university or the parking lot.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be just lost without a light, I'd be SCREWED; completely incapable of doing my job. Even when I'm not working, I still use my lights a dozen times a day, even in broad daylight.

:buddies:

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Honestly it would only be a minor inconvenience. I changed my pants from cargos to jeans and the difference in pocket space is terrible. I used to EDC one light but now I find it hard to take my wallet, cell phone, and light all in one pair of jeans (keys are a non-issue because I use a card-key). I also want to edc the tiny victorinox SAK but jeez I need a system to carry them all first. I will buy a Cree AAA light for this purpose.

Aliyah

Newly Enlightened
Funny how some in this thread react when their EDC is lost. It's as if a pet or real loved one. But for me, I would just be normal. I mean, with or without it I could still adjust to see through the darkness. That's what my eyes are made for. :)

Richub

Enlightened
I wouldn't be really lost, but I'd lose a lot of the fun-factor in my life. ;)

I don't need a flashlight to do my job or hobbies, and I'm living in a city so there's almost always light enough to see where I'm going. Power outages are a very rare 'treat' too here.

But nothing beats a good flashlight whenever you're getting in a darker place, or to impress someone with. (Like that young policeman in another post I recently made.)

Harry999

Enlightened
Honestly it would only be a minor inconvenience. I changed my pants from cargos to jeans and the difference in pocket space is terrible. I used to EDC one light but now I find it hard to take my wallet, cell phone, and light all in one pair of jeans (keys are a non-issue because I use a card-key). I also want to edc the tiny victorinox SAK but jeez I need a system to carry them all first. I will buy a Cree AAA light for this purpose.

infection0, I have to dress smartly and so pocket space is limited. I resolved it by using a neck wallet and a Pacsafe Metrosafe 200 bag to carry all my daily edc items plus my diabetic medical equipment. There are days though where if I am meeting an external customer even the neck wallet is a no no and so on those days I have to be ultra covert in what I carry so I don't stand out.

My solution was to use AA and/or AAA edc lights such as the Zebralight SC51c (with switch mod to cut out pocket activation) , Quark AA mini or Fenix E01 and Preon respectively. I combine my edc light of the day with a Tec accessories P7 suspension clip so the light even in a cluttered pocket can be easily accessed. By the way those suspension clips are great for small knives and pocket tools. I carry a Spyderco Kiwi 3 slip it in one pocket and a Leatherman Micra in another. They also work great when I occasionally switch to my SAK Mini Swisschamp.

So answering the question in this thread I guess I would be incredibly lost given the amount of thought I have put into having a minimum level of EDC gear on hand day to day... :)

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Very "inconvenienced". My new HDS EDC 170 Clicky (upgrade for my Ra 140) and Muyshondt Ti Aeon get used probably around a dozen times during the day.

When the sun goes down that number easily doubles.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I EDC a Photon Freedom. I have other lights deployed everywhere I'm likely to be and in coat pockets. If I loose my EDC, I could be inconvenienced, but it's unlikely to be a big deal. I'll just carry something a little bigger for the rest of the day. I have a couple of backup Photons at home ready to go. I've even been know to give away my EDC on occasion!

Vtnam68

Newly Enlightened
I have carried in my pocket a Solitare forever. Used it many times day and night. After reading what you all use for an EDC I will be upgrading!!

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Vtnam68. Brace yourself... you're in for a bright ride.

varmint

Enlightened
3 things I never leave the house without, EDC light or 2--- Microstream & EO5, pocket knife and Glock32. Yes it would bother me if I forgot my light, I probably used it 4-5 times today alone. Its 8:30pm here and I am going out to check livestock again with my Thrulight TN11 tonight.
Larry

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the lights go out at work many times and it is *dark* in there! I also use my EDC for finding lost things, and looking at stuff that needs repair. I am never without a flashlight of some kind!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would crouch in a dark corner and cry until the ambulance came to get me.

More seriously, that depends on when. At work: I would feel completely naked (happened twice) Weekends: in the daytime when I'm out shopping I'd just feel like I let my flashaholism down. At night: I would feel like I forgot to put pants on.

I solved most of the problem by putting my L0D on my keys. Now if I forget my EDC, I only feel like I'm wearing paper shoes.

Last edited:

Capitalistpig

Newly Enlightened
My EDC load is pretty high---2 sets of keys--a set of Cross pens---a larger locking folder (Benchmade 520 or 525--the smaller 525 usually gets carried in the summer and the 520 in the winter---don't ask me why, just how it works out)---a Bic lighter(even though I no longer smoke, you still need fire--right?)----Victorinox Farmer for tools--Carmex stick--smart phone ---wallet and a Surefire E1L/money clip and sometimes an additional Eveready 1W junker. I wear cargo's daily.

I've turned the car around on the way to work a couple times when I realized I didn't have my Surefire on me---feel naked without it.

And ya, I know, I'm a gear geek.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
First, preface my response with info...

EDC = Preon 2 Ti, in rear left pocket. And HDS Rotary in dropin EDC bag, usually in briefcase/gym bag/etc bag. Spare sets of cells for each in EDC bag as well.

Okay, now here's my truth.

99% of the time I would be fine without an EDC. There are very rare occasions when I have neither EDC light in my possession, however those are rare occasions. I work in finance so my job is a regular office job. No long dark stairways/hallways either, so during the day there's literally no reason to have a light for emergency. There are however, utility reasons. Setting up projectors, TVs, computers in rooms that are poorly lit. Fixing the printer. Other boring stuff.

But the real reason I carry a light is for the "what if..." scenarios.

What if I choose to head to the bar after work for a mates birthday? Yup, can't drive home, close enough that I don't want to pay for a taxi but the streets are poorly lit. Got it covered. And yes, it has happened.

What if a circumstance arises that prevents me from getting to my car/to home until late?

And the last reason, 0.00001% probability ... What if the poop hits the fan while I'm at work? Clogged roads means home is 2 hours away on foot. I'd rather have a limited supply of essentials, which includes light, instead of nothing. Especially when the price is only a few ounces a day.

To the guy who hates stuff in his pockets ... So do I. I barely notice a light in my rear left pocket though, and forget its there usually. The bigger light and spare batteries go in the EDC bag which usually contains what I need for regular stuff (gym clothes, work files, beach towel, etc.).

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very, very, tee-ed off.

I currently work at a hydro turbine plant and it is a requirement for all employees to carry a flashlight. We use our lights at least 50x a day whether its for checking 480vAC breakers, checking water pumps, inspecting spillway tunnels (which is always fun, picture riding a bicycle in a .5mi dark tunnel, dimly lit, alone), etc. Our foremans carry crappy rayovac 1aa incan and the rest carry Streamlight 4aa polymers (poorly designed switches that last for a few months). So in my line of work, it's a tool.