How many batteries and chargers do you have (photo them)

david57strat

Enlightened
David that is simply awesome!!! :)

Mine are all over, not added any for a while as find its all under control(unlike my flashlights!)

Some work chargers. Also an XP4 charger for over spill.
This no more, dont like its slow and inconsistent charge levels(no matter what wall plug used)

Cells wise not got a clue! Quite a few, have 8x 16650's in work and around 6x 18650's, 4x AA loops and 2x 14500's. Home............20 loops of AA and AAA flavours, 26650's around 10. 18650's would be anywhere between 60 and 100 in use and 30 or so spares stored.

syaAtrq.jpg

I've always liked the tachometer style metering on the VC4s.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: ...............hay i have not bought a charger for ages, damn dragon and mc3000 keep shouting me though.

Couple of 20700 3000mah cells added recently, after using these a bit and swapping out for vtv6 3000mah(rotating in my vape mod). There are absolutely no noticable benefits to these actual 20700 cells over my 18650 vtc6's!!! Other than adding bulk which is not what i want with a mod(luckily its not too much bulk)

Here is a super old pic of my still works(but stored away as way too slow) i4! Other is an AAA/AA charger i still have but dont use, the opus and xp4 take care of my loops these days.

terjee

Enlightened
:laughing: ...............hay i have not bought a charger for ages, damn dragon and mc3000 keep shouting me though.

When it comes to the MC3000; Do it!! :)

Especially as a vaper, I'm always a bit cautious with my cells. The MC3000 is great for keeping an eye on them, capacity, charge curves, internal resistance, and so on and so forth.

Sure, the Dragon and SC4 has functionality for internal resistance, but both seem flawed.

Then there's the ability to charge inventory to 3.92V (or whatever you prefer), to make sure you always have some well treated cells available for putting into rotation, and so on.

Being fast isn't exactly a problem either.

I was one of the unlucky ones that got an early model, where a plastic bit would break, and despite having to replace parts (NKON sent replacement for free), it's still my favorite charger by far.

While I haven't gotten a dragon (yet?), I'd really recommend the MC3000 above it.

ven

Flashaholic
Cheers terjee, its looking the fav one when i do take the plunge;) I dont think i would use more than the 2a setting, nice to be able to have more than 2 bays at 2a though!

david57strat

Enlightened
I have 19.

An older GE Ni-Cad 8 bay charger, a Mallory Ni-Cad dumb charger/wall wart jobbie, a Rayovac 15 minute IC3 charger, 6 Xtars, 4 Liitokalas, a Maha C9000, a LaCrosse BC700, an Opus BT-3400, a Duracell 1000 and a couple of cheap-o dumb chargers for neighbors.

Chris

I've been wanting one of those C9000 chargers, for a while, now. Will probably pick one up, before the year is out.

Which XTAR chargers do you have? Any favorites, of the bunch?

terjee

Enlightened
the OG NCR18650 2900mah

This got me a bit curious. Is there a specific reason for so many of this cell?

Cheers terjee, its looking the fav one when i do take the plunge;) I dont think i would use more than the 2a setting, nice to be able to have more than 2 bays at 2a though!

Yeah, I'm almost always at 2A or less myself. Nice to be able to tank up faster if I have to, but 2A seems about right for most of my cells. Some of them are spec'ed for 6A fast charge, so I wouldn't worry too much about 3A in a pinch.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have worked hard to minimize the number of battery types and chargers we have in the house.

For most applications, a simple Triton II can cover it, including even the hedge trimmer and portable drill batteries.

Due to some other areas I am working on, I now also have a 75 amp / 12 volt and 48 volt Iota. They are ok, not exceptional, but they fall into the power range of a conventional home plug so it works.

You might be surprised at what you can do with an RV size solar panel and the right programmable solar charge controller. It is also good practice for when you might actually really need to use flashlights.

I almost had everything down to AAs and 123s, then I decided to start using headlamps more and found out just how hard it is to find AA and 123 based head lamps. Now I am stuck with AAA s again as well.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I have worked hard to minimize the number of battery types and chargers we have in the house.

For most applications, a simple Triton II can cover it, including even the hedge trimmer and portable drill batteries.

Due to some other areas I am working on, I now also have a 75 amp / 12 volt and 48 volt Iota. They are ok, not exceptional, but they fall into the power range of a conventional home plug so it works.

You might be surprised at what you can do with an RV size solar panel and the right programmable solar charge controller. It is also good practice for when you might actually really need to use flashlights.

I almost had everything down to AAs and 123s, then I decided to start using headlamps more and found out just how hard it is to find AA and 123 based head lamps. Now I am stuck with AAA s again as well.

Armytek and others have AA and 123 headlamps. Perhaps not as light as you would like.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila charger for 18650 and some 10 year old 18650 batt I bought here in cpf [emoji3]2200 mah
Of course lots of Eneloop generic AA for my ZL AA lights [emoji3] that are 10 years old also. Just got some new ones Panasonic charger AA. Maybe like 30 Eneloop AA and the crappy Amazon black label 8 of them.
Still looking for the elusive USB AA charger that Panasonic made...

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting one of those C9000 chargers, for a while, now. Will probably pick one up, before the year is out.

Which XTAR chargers do you have? Any favorites, of the bunch?

I like the Maha C9000 and use it all of the time. I wish I would have bought a second one in lieu of my LaCrosse BC-700 that I purchased at the same time, for roughly the same amount of money.

I have these Xtar chargers in order of purchase, the Xtar WP2 II, MP1S, VP2, XP1, MC1+ and VC4.

For li-ion charging needs and not doing large batches, the VP2 is still a SOTA charger for charging all the chemistries, but it's not an analyzing charger and it doesn't do NiMH.

For charging up smaller 10440, 16340, 14500 and 18350 cells, I like the XP1. It takes a while on NiMH and doesn't do anything over AA/14500 in physical size, but I love the 250/500mA rates and this is always hooked up to my PC, topping things off for my lipstick.

For bolting out the front door and needing a USB charger, the MC1+ is very light and does a good job charging, but its 500mA low rate isn't ideal for my smaller cells, although I've charged up 16340 cells for years using a 500mA rate. Still...500mA isn't ideal.

The MP1S always charged at bit low, often times below 4.15v, which isn't bad per se, but I got a credit through Andrew & Amanda and ended up with my 2014 Nitecore i4 v.2 charger in a swap. It works and is light, but ehhh...pass on that one. The MC1+ ANT would be a better option for not a lot of cash.

The VC4--what can I say about this charger? It works pretty well and is slow, sometimes missing NiMH termination...well...more than "sometimes", but it works well for the most part on li-ion and it works with power banks and USB solar panels. I leave the VC4 at my GF's place, FWIW.

The WP2 II. My first li-ion charger and while I don't use it much any longer, it never let me down and for the first two-three years in my li-ion life, it was all I used. Slightly undercharges at 4.18v-4.19v, 'which is a good thing' as Martha would say.

Chris

david57strat

Enlightened
I like the Maha C9000 and use it all of the time. I wish I would have bought a second one in lieu of my LaCrosse BC-700 that I purchased at the same time, for roughly the same amount of money.

I have these Xtar chargers in order of purchase, the Xtar WP2 II, MP1S, VP2, XP1, MC1+ and VC4.

For li-ion charging needs and not doing large batches, the VP2 is still a SOTA charger for charging all the chemistries, but it's not an analyzing charger and it doesn't do NiMH.

For charging up smaller 10440, 16340, 14500 and 18350 cells, I like the XP1. It takes a while on NiMH and doesn't do anything over AA/14500 in physical size, but I love the 250/500mA rates and this is always hooked up to my PC, topping things off for my lipstick.

For bolting out the front door and needing a USB charger, the MC1+ is very light and does a good job charging, but its 500mA low rate isn't ideal for my smaller cells, although I've charged up 16340 cells for years using a 500mA rate. Still...500mA isn't ideal.

The MP1S always charged at bit low, often times below 4.15v, which isn't bad per se, but I got a credit through Andrew & Amanda and ended up with my 2014 Nitecore i4 v.2 charger in a swap. It works and is light, but ehhh...pass on that one. The MC1+ ANT would be a better option for not a lot of cash.

The VC4--what can I say about this charger? It works pretty well and is slow, sometimes missing NiMH termination...well...more than "sometimes", but it works well for the most part on li-ion and it works with power banks and USB solar panels. I leave the VC4 at my GF's place, FWIW.

The WP2 II. My first li-ion charger and while I don't use it much any longer, it never let me down and for the first two-three years in my li-ion life, it was all I used. Slightly undercharges at 4.18v-4.19v, 'which is a good thing' as Martha would say.

Chris

I appreciate the detailed rundown. Thank you, brother.

My BC-700 saw several years of use, as my primary AA NiMh charger.

The C9000 always had its appeal, with its beautiful display, higher charging capacities, customize-able settings, and analyzing abilities; but, for whatever reason, I never got around to grabbing one - or any other analyzing charger, until the Dragon.

I had my pair of i4 V2s for a while, but they didn't tend to terminate well on my AA NiMhs, and ran fairly hot, to the touch, in spite of being fairly slow chargers.

Then Nitecore released their new flagship unit - the D4, and I was immediately intrigued with getting my hands on one of these, in spite of the same slow charge rates. It was clear, to me, that they had made numerous improvements, otherwise; so I had to grab one, then another lol.

What I really liked (at the time), was the very nice, elaborate metering system, and the ability to charge LiFepO4s, which the V2s didn't have. Back then, I was still using some lights that ran only on CR123 primaries, and I wanted to phase out my use of primaries, by replacing those with RCR123 LiFePO4s (wherever possible), because I was utterly fed up of replacing CR123 batteries seemingly every week or two, for those lights. That got very expensive, very quickly, and unnecessarily, for me. This didn't work out too well, with some of my lights (the lower modes were all messed up, but worked perfectly, after replacing them with primaries again); so I traded out those lights for other items (knives, for instance).

The VP2 was the very first investment in XTAR products, for me, and mine are still going strong. I loved the bright back lit Blue display (although, I must admit, they're not quite as bright as they were, when I first bought them, years ago), the fact that it was defeat-able with a button press, the slightly higher charge rate (than my D4s had), but also the ability to choose 250 mA rate, if so desired. They could also charge LiFePO4 batteries, as well as some of the new, longer batteries. I felt this was a charger I could grow into, and they've really performed well, and consistently, which has prompted me to look into XTAR's other charging products, as they're released, and as my charging needs have started to expand (seemingly exponentially), during these past several years.

I got spoiled for having digital read-outs, so I never again bought a charger that didn't have them, with the exception of those two MC1+ units.

I've never really seen charging smaller (14500, 16340) batteries at the 500 mA rate, as a negative (and those are the smallest lithium ion batteries I've ever charged); but then, (comparatively speaking), I have very few lights that run on these smaller batteries, and they're used fairly rarely; so it's hard to gauge whether or not there would have been much of a sacrifice in total overall charges (battery longevity) available on those batteries.

In most instances, I'm still using the original lithium ion batteries that I purchased several years ago, for those few lights; although I see that they terminate closer to 4.15 volts, as opposed to the 4.2 initial termination rates.

The D4s kind of became my go-to chargers for AA NiMh charging, but the VC2Plus units got used a lot, (for over spill) for those, as well. I never really found myself using the power bank feature of any of my chargers (other than to test them, once or twice, but always liked that the capability was there, if I ever came to need it.

I usually carry two Anker 13000 mAh batteries (one on-person, housed in a small zippered pouch, carried in a cargo pocket; and another in a larger nylon pouch that I carry, with multiple cables, adapters, etc.); so they tend to cover my smart phone and tablet needs.

vUBqmhk.jpg

Here is the smaller of the two pouches. The other is an Audio Technica padded, zippered microphone case, which has proven to be ideal for carrying the other, slightly bulkier battery (with a built-in flashlight that is just...well...sad), and the various adapters, cables, tiny dual USB smart port A/C charger, etc.

7P54EAv.jpg

Had a few Maxpedition Volta cases, that I used, for carrying my CR123s, AAs, and others (when I still EDC lights that used those); but I always seemed to lose those. It was very aggravating.

The inserts were kind of handy, although not fully water proof. Protected 14500s were a tight fit, and wouldn't really allow the covers to fully close (Those cases just just weren't really designed for them).

OlWXuJZ.jpg

vIkBArC.jpg

Now, if I need, or want to carry backup batteries, I use Pelican 1010 cases, which I absolutely love.

Note, this picture is several years old. I never carry CR123 batteries around, any more. Also, the longer protected 18650 batteries are a snugger fit, so I can carry as many as ten, as opposed to twelve batteries, in them, and at a very slight angle, but still a very nice, safe fit, for those batteries.

They're air tight, waterproof, crush proof, and have a one way auto purge valve on them, and they carry a lifetime warranty - making these the perfect battery cases, for my use, when traveling, or otherwise.

My two MC1+ units are perfect for car carry (as tiny as they are), and are almost exclusively reserved for on-the-road charging (which is kind of a rare occurrence, but always a welcome capability to have). I power those with a little Anker dual USB smart port 12-volt charger hub, which works pretty well. Have two of them, and one is dedicated for phone and tablet charging, while the other, strictly for those MC1+ chargers.

The overlap in charging abilities of my various chargers has given me a lot of flexibility, in charging choices, and I'm big on having choices. Starting out with serious EDC lights, about five years back really allowed me to completely nerd out, but not feel like a fool, since they're such useful tools, in every day life, for me.

Having discovered venues like this, and others, with other true enthusiasts, has made me feel right home in my hobby/fascination/addiction.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Batteries
49 AA Eneloops
30 AAA Eneloops
18 18650 Li-Ion
6 16340 Li-Ion
5 14500 Li-Ion

I mainly use chargers that I have designed and built . I thought I'd share them with you. Not cost effective to build but all part of the hobby I suppose. Charger on the right can charge each bay at 1A, 500mA, or 250mA. Each bay is individually controlled and doesn't matter whether it is NiMh or Li-Ion. Charger is very efficient with no heat issues at all and can do each bay at 1A at the same time. I still use the LaCrosse BC-700 a lot.

YgEIfKz.jpg

I think it's very cool that you're able to build your own chargers. Could you tell me a little more about that 4-slot charger on the Left, with the White Eneloop in the left slot, and that GA (?) on the right?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's very cool that you're able to build your own chargers. Could you tell me a little more about that 4-slot charger on the Left, with the White Eneloop in the left slot, and that GA (?) on the right?
Thanks, Ya that charger will do both lithium ion or NiMh and I put those various batteries in there for the picture. I got the chassis from Amazon for $15. It was a Thorfire charger. I then gutted it of course. It's the same chassis as a Fenix ARE-C2 or Thrunite MCC-4 charger.

This charger is like 4 individual chargers. Each bay has its own electronics and microcontroller that has been duplicated 4 times. Each bay can do 1 amp. So I could have 4 batteries being charged at 1 amp each at the same time. The circuit would handle higher current but I just settled for 1A max. Doing a lithium ion charger with CC/CV is pretty straight forward. Doing NiMh with dV/dT is a little more involved. I consulted CPF user HKJ with a couple of questions on that and he referred me to this tech report that he did and that answered what I needed to know about NiMh charging.
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryChargingNiMH UK.html

I like having buttons for each bay so that I can start, stop and select charge rate. I also programmed in a calibration mode that puts the charger in CV mode (4.20v). That way I can tweak as accurate to 4.20v that I desire. I won't hijack the thread but if anyone has the electronic capability and is ever interested in assembling their own charger, I love to talk about this stuff...........send me a PM.

david57strat

Enlightened
Thanks, Ya that charger will do both lithium ion or NiMh and I put those various batteries in there for the picture. I got the chassis from Amazon for $15. It was a Thorfire charger. I then gutted it of course. It's the same chassis as a Fenix ARE-C2 or Thrunite MCC-4 charger.

This charger is like 4 individual chargers. Each bay has its own electronics and microcontroller that has been duplicated 4 times. Each bay can do 1 amp. So I could have 4 batteries being charged at 1 amp each at the same time. The circuit would handle higher current but I just settled for 1A max. Doing a lithium ion charger with CC/CV is pretty straight forward. Doing NiMh with dV/dT is a little more involved. I consulted CPF user HKJ with a couple of questions on that and he referred me to this tech report that he did and that answered what I needed to know about NiMh charging.
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryChargingNiMH UK.html

I like having buttons for each bay so that I can start, stop and select charge rate. I also programmed in a calibration mode that puts the charger in CV mode (4.20v). That way I can tweak as accurate to 4.20v that I desire. I won't hijack the thread but if anyone has the electronic capability and is ever interested in assembling their own charger, I love to talk about this stuff...........send me a PM.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing :)

david57strat

Enlightened
The complete charger family, including the semi-retired Nitecore D4s and the XTAR MC6

vY43EAB.jpg

Latest posts