How much is a gallon of pennies worth $$$ ?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard before about Uncle Sam wanting to eliminate the penny and round off to the nearest 5 cent. Could this be the beginning of the "end of the penny"?

Wow if I could cash in my almost jar full of pennies for 5 cents on the penny I could get a few new lights too!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I cashed in (3) 40 ounce peanut butter jars filled fully with quarters. It totalled $629.00. That's just over $209.50 per 40 ounce jar. The teller asked me how much I thought the total would be, and I said about $500 or so. It was a nice surprise!

Hayzues

Newly Enlightened
$100. Well I once had a gallon of pennies (just pennies) and i took it to my nearest coinstar and i got $100 the machine charged me $10 at that time this was about 10 to 15 years ago. I thinnk around that time the coin machine was charging like $.08 cents per dolloar but yup i remember cuz i was very surprised someone paid me with that gallon for a very, very small job and i didnt want it. Good thing i took it

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Federal Reserve bank places a weight sticker on all bags of lose coin that they send to the banks so that they can provide rolled coins for merchants.

$50 pennies = 34 lbs
$200 nickels = 46 lbs
$1000 dimes = 49.8 lbs
$1000 quarters = 50.2 lbs

I knew a guy that would pay his tax bill every year with lose coin. He paid the armored car company to deliver them to the IRS and then the IRS paid the armored car company to haul them to the Federal Reserve bank.

The IRS will no longer accept coinage for tax payments.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised anyone would consider using an armored car to deliver a few thousand dollars of quarters, dimes, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to go to jail for a bunch of change that would be difficult to spend.

My understanding is that change is only considered legal tender for modest values. Unless you are carrying gold coins in your pockets, nobody wants much of your change. :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised anyone would consider using an armored car to deliver a few thousand dollars of quarters, dimes, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to go to jail for a bunch of change that would be difficult to spend.

My understanding is that change is only considered legal tender for modest values. Unless you are carrying gold coins in your pockets, nobody wants much of your change. :)

You'd be surprised what people will attempt stealing. Google up copper wire thieves. Again Google up parking meter coin theft. I like this one. http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20150306_State_not_probing_meter_coin_theft.html

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy cow.... someone stole $850,000 of parking meter quarters?? I wouldn't have guessed that there were that many quarters in circulation!

If my math is correct, that's 42,500 pounds of quarters. How do you get rid of that many quarters? Sell them for half price at car washes? This has to involve organized crime, it would seem. Or criminals with a lot of spare time.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, it's only 850 Federal Reserve bags.

Back when the first copper shortage happened, early 80's, I had a friend that ran a coin and currency room for a small 10 location back. He would send 400 bags of pennies a week to the Fed. I knew of a bank 75 miles away that was paying $1.05 for a dollars worth of pennies. I bought two weeks worth of pennies, loaded them on a car trailer and sold them off for a $2.50 profit per bag minus expenses.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im sure someone else said this but just weigh the penies then do simple math