How my Tec40 will be as bright as my LegendLX

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
The bi-pin just slips into copper tubing that I soldered INSIDE the pr-base (harder than it sounds). Unfortunatly, I don't have a digicam to take pics with. I'd say the ScorpioLite is more than 30% brighter. A big difference is the whiteness of it.

Spudgunr

Edit: The ScorpioLite is about as bright as the Legend LX. BUT, the maglite can focus to about HALF the size the LX can, so it will probably throw a lot farther.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Oh yes, just remembered. If I do this, I could also special make some 3 cell rechargables with this too by using the Stinger bulb. You could then use this with your 6AA double barrel with rechargables.

I am gonna go attempt to make another one of these. What do you all think, would this be worthwhile to do? I would probably need at LEAST 5 orders to make this worthwhile. If I could get quite a few more, I would get that thing off of ebay and lower the cost about a dollar, OR if I could make these in 10-15 minutes, I could also lower the cost a dollar or so. But, If I do this, plan on the cost being $10, and just be glad if it is less :) Well, I am gonna go pull apart another perfectly good light bulb ( I HATE doing this, wasting bulbs for the base, I wish I had a bunch of burnt out or broken ones to use, if I could get all sorts of broken or burnt out (or free) ones that would take a dollar off of that $10 right there since bulbs are around a buck each at normal stores).

Spudgunr

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will buy one for $10.

I'm glad you confirmed that it's much brighter than the 3cell bulb. I knew you would.

BTW: Where did you get the small copper tubing? I just got back from some stores and couldn't find anything like that. Is there a chain store you went to?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
No, it wasn't a chain store. It was a fairly small hobby store. The tubing I got was sixteenth inch (outer diamter), I am not exactly sure what it is used for though. I didn't get around to attempting another one, I went to a friend's house instead. However, I have a bit of time right now, so I think I will head down and try it.

Spudgunr

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Ok, just finished one, it took me an hour. However, I found a better way to do things, and during that hour, my soldering gun heat filament thingy broke. I think with a little practice I can get two an hour done, which would put me around $5 an hour, good enough for me to do this. I will STILL have to keep practicing it though, because I want a better quality product to go to other people. Keep in mind I am a 17 year old doing this in his basement, so it isn't going to be THAT high of quality. I am going to start a new thread real fast asking for a tester (preferably one of the better known members with a variety of pr base flashlights). The one I just finished, while still not that high quality, has a VERY TIGHT spot on the maglight. The nice thing about using such a small bulb is that it doesn't matter all that much if the bulb is perfectly centered or not, it is still within the range of a standard PR base bulb. The bulb fits in the socket fairly loosely, and I guess to fix that one could either bend the pins slightly, or put a little notch in them by squeezing with pliers, or whatever. I am not sure.

Also for those that already have scorpion bulbs, I could obviously make it and not include the bulb. You would pay $5.75 or $6 instead of $10. Also, if you wanted to order scorpion bulbs extra (for those that have a scorpion, but didn't want to order just the bulbs) I could throw more in for like $4.25 each.

Keep in mind that this is not a firm commitment that I am going to do this, and by saying you want one, you are NOT in a firm commitment (right now, money would make it firm, and I am not accepting that now) to get one, I would just like to see the interest.

Spudgunr

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Ok, with my 4 D-cell maglite (5.67 volts under NO load, so not exactly the freshest batteries) I was just getting 1.1 amps at 4.86 volts. IF I had brand new batteries in it, I am guesing you could expect it to be brighter than the Scorpion, but as it is, it should be just as bright as the scorpion. Doesn't sound like a bad bulb for the ol' 4 D-cell. I think I am going to make that my new permanant bulb for it since it is SO bright and SO white. AFTER I make a new one (using epoxy instead of silicone sealant or hot glue, will increase building time quite a bit, and cost a little, but probably not enough to warrant a price change) I will send it to Brock to test and see what he thinks of it. If he gives the thumbs up, then I will go ahead and make them to sell. If he doesn't give the thumbs up, I most likely won't.

Spudgunr

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Now the maglight puts the 4NiMH/3dBulb combo to shame. For the same sized spot, it is quite a bit brighter, and even WHITER than the Tec40<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you use 4D maglit instead of Tec40, you will have a lot more option. Try those bulbs for UK D4 Rechargeable - low output bulb (5.8W) or high output bulb (18W). Both of them are for 4.8v. Even with the low output bulb (5.8W), it's much brighter than scorpion.

Alan