How to spot a fake Surefire?

seale_navy

Enlightened
oh wow this is my first time seeinf fake G2. The nitrolon doesnt look authentic.

the checker pattern on the G2 also look different from the original G2 in terms of the depth of the checker shape.

richardh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mate!

Here are the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/almquist.christian/SFG2?feat=directlink

My old did not have any of these marks what so ever. And the ring in front of the window looked a lot different. The old one had no dents in it. Might be an older version but the weird thing is that I have never seen a G2 without the dents in the ring. But then again, I'm a bit of a noob here! =)

Well, the C2 is still in transit to me. Can´t wait! :)

I have a G2 incan I bought about 1 year ago at Bass Pro shop and it looks exactly like this. Only mine is black.

chef4850

Enlightened
I reciently recieved a Surefire C2 in a trade. There is something about this light that i have NEVER seen on a Surefire light. There are NO Pat.#'s on the light. The serial starts with an "A" and that is on the side with the "Surefire Logo".

On the other side it says "C2 Centurion" and that is all. Also the "flat sides" there are three and the one oppisit the clip is rounded. This is an incan version but it differs from the C2 LED version that I have and all the SF lights that I have - have the pat.# on the side as well.

I just need some input as to wether anyone has seen this before. I can NOT do pictures. But I am sure someone will have a bit of input. Just trying to make sure that I didn't get duped.

Chef

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes.

Although most companies just put their own brand name on the blatant fakes they made.

lesgreen5666

Newly Enlightened
I read you threads, but nobody here actually has said how to spot a fake. One individual stated that one way is to see if it is labeled Surefire. thats kind of a given. What differences in the light should one look for?

thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A good indication is the overall quality of the light. (This does require being already familiar with SureFire models and what to expect in terms of overall quality and fit & finish.) Someone who collects Omega watches can instantly spot a good fake just by giving it a cursory examination. Same thing with those who are familiar with Surefire lights. If that familiarity isn't there, then it becomes much harder to spot a well-made fake.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I have bought a g2 that was fake.
its a little bit rougher in the outside ....
the inner metal sleeve is different .....
the surefire logo on a real one is polished to a very shinny smooth look, fake one's logo looks like the rest of the light.....
no surefire logo on drop in on fake one.....
and the best way to tell on mine was the head and tailcap wont fit right on a real body and vice/versa.....

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I read you threads, but nobody here actually has said how to spot a fake. One individual stated that one way is to see if it is labeled Surefire. thats kind of a given. What differences in the light should one look for?

thanks
I have bought a g2 that was fake.
its a little bit rougher in the outside ....
the inner metal sleeve is different .....
the surefire logo on a real one is polished to a very shinny smooth look, fake one's logo looks like the rest of the light.....
no surefire logo on drop in on fake one.....
and the best way to tell on mine was the head and tailcap wont fit right on a real body and vice/versa.....​

Kenjaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I own about 10 surefires. I just purchased an E2L-A and was excited to open and test it out. It was great as other surefire products. but just noticed the laser engravings on this are not as clear as others. So I started to wonder if this could be a fake one...... even though it came with everything that looks like provided by surefire. Can anyone tell if this is real one or not? thanks
2czpz6q.jpg
5tp3d.jpg
ruw3eh.jpg

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Three main things to check...is the knurling grippy to a point you could use it to file? Does the flashlight feel hard to a surface squeeze rather than kind of soft like most Chinese made lights? Did you buy from an authorized retailer?

Kenjaman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for quick replies, yes I can use the surface as a file, it does feel as solid as other surefire products, I bought this on eBay for $170, so I think it was a decent price. and also it seems to be working as described. Haven't been using this that long so can't tell well yet.. but it seems ok

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for quick replies, yes I can use the surface as a file, it does feel as solid as other surefire products, I bought this on eBay for $170, so I think it was a decent price. and also it seems to be working as described. Haven't been using this that long so can't tell well yet.. but it seems ok

What eBay seller did you buy from?