How to spot a fake Surefire?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seller has a CRAP ton of transactions under his/her belt, and has a very good rating. That alone would tell me that the goods are most likely authentic. I think you're good to go.

Kenjaman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that's why I bought it from this seller...
How can you guys normally tell if a surefire is fake or genuine? I suppose those Chinese guys making fakes these days do a pretty good job though..

masterP

Newly Enlightened
Three main things to check...is the knurling grippy to a point you could use it to file? Does the flashlight feel hard to a surface squeeze rather than kind of soft like most Chinese made lights? Did you buy from an authorized retailer?

I've never seen a Surefire that had really grippy knurling. it's one step above a maglite in knurling IMO

I like really grippy knurling

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah that's why I bought it from this seller...
How can you guys normally tell if a surefire is fake or genuine? I suppose those Chinese guys making fakes these days do a pretty good job though..

I buy either from Authorized Dealers or from established fellow members on CPF. Been my experience that a very high rating and tons of transactions means very little.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've never seen a Surefire that had really grippy knurling. it's one step above a maglite in knurling IMO

I like really grippy knurling

Just a few years back, SureFire models had cheese grater style knurling. Some of the more recent offerings are just too smooth.

Latest posts