Hurricane IAN

turbodog

Flashaholic
We usually have a hurricane thread when one is going to hit. So far... have not seen a post, so I will start one.

Those in the path, before or after, can pop in.

I remember some members were helped in Florida years ago after getting flooded out.

fulee9999

Enlightened
as someone who is from europe and has never seen a hurricane in real life I must ask... would brick and mortar buildings stand up to a hurricane?

turbodog

Flashaholic
as someone who is from europe and has never seen a hurricane in real life I must ask... would brick and mortar buildings stand up to a hurricane?

Depends. The wind? Probably, but your roof is likely gone unless you've got hurricane straps in the construction.

However, as soon as something becomes airborne, that item turns into a missile and will easily go through a brick wall. This creates more debris and a cascading effect.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Depends. The wind? Probably, but your roof is likely gone unless you've got hurricane straps in the construction.

However, as soon as something becomes airborne, that item turns into a missile and will easily go through a brick wall. This creates more debris and a cascading effect.

Exactly. It's not that the wind is blowing. It's what the wind is blowing 😂

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hurricanes don't scare me much... you've got TONS of warning time. Tornadoes are another matter entirely, 2nd cousin of the hurricane, raised by bandits in a trailer park. They will hit you before you realize it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A hurricane or a storm can hit anywhere, just remember Sandy a few years back hitting NYC? terrible for sure.
Ida was actually worse. No flooding from Sandy. It just caused us to lose power for a few days but thankfully this was in late October. Keeping warm without power is easier than keeping cool. We had a pot of water boiling on the gas stove all the time. It kept the temps inside in the mid 60s, despite the 30s/40s outside. I just put all the food in the fridge outside in empty Omaha Steaks shipping boxes. It kept just fine.

On the other hand, Ida dumped something like 8 inches of rain on us in a few hours. The sewer backed up into the basement. We had about 10 inches of water. It took me a few weeks to clean the areas I used. I still haven't gotten to about 1/4 of the basement. We were actually lucky compared to a lot of people. Many had feet of water in their basements. A few people drowned in basement apartments.

P1080533.JPG
P1080536.JPG
P1080538.JPG

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it made landfall at 155 mph sustained winds with 190 mph wind gusts and up to 18 feet of storm surge (still technically a Cat. IV). That hurricane is a monster. If you're in the area, I hope and pray that you stay safe and get somewhere else that you can wait it out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Building codes in hurricane prone places like Florida, Lousianna and many coastal areas require stuctures such as single family, multi family (apartments) and commercial items to be built to with stand hurricane force winds.

Now, that does not mean a darn thing when the tide is 18-20' above normal high tide. Or sustained rain causes bad flooding. In my lifetime hurricane Camille in 1969 killed 200 people in Charlottesville VA, and it made landfall in Missouri!!