Hurricane Harvey: Members Please Check In! BE SAFE!!!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Areas around the Brazos River in Fort Bend county, just SW of Houston are subject to mandatory evacuation, ~50,000 residents affected; the nearby levy is sound but they're about to be locked in by water. Adjacent neighborhoods are offered assistance for voluntary evacuation, another ~70,000 residents.

Brazos river is about to get serious. Last year when it flooded here in west columbia at "only" 30.3 feet, the water made it to 13th street. And that's when it hadn't been raining, was dry, sunny, ditches empty etc. All water purely from upriver... now the Ground is already saturated, ditches are full, and latest weather gov forecast is 40 feet at the same point on the brazos!

I don't think it'll matter where you are here. HIghest point in this town is 35ft, the entire town will be underwater.

edit- not supposed to peak until late wednesday.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
The Addicks and Barker reservoirs on the West side of Houston are going to have to be opened beginning at 2AM local time tomorrow morning; neighborhoods in the area will be flooded, the city is asking for voluntary evacuation of those areas. Projected flood maps are posted on the Harris Country Flood Control website [which is currently down]. Some of these neighborhoods are projected to remain flooded for several months.

The levee at Columbia Lakes just failed this morning. Hopefully these two hold tight. They're already spilling over now, but if the ground goes...one could only imagine.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The Addicks and Barker reservoirs on the West side of Houston are going to have to be opened beginning at 2AM local time tomorrow morning; neighborhoods in the area will be flooded, the city is asking for voluntary evacuation of those areas. Projected flood maps are posted on the Harris Country Flood Control website [which is currently down]. Some of these neighborhoods are projected to remain flooded for several months.

My sister lives near Addicks Dam road. I looked up her elevation at 90ft it may be higher than average in the area by a few feet to 5 feet or so but not sure where the flooding is at there. I still haven't heard nothing from her at all.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My sister lives near Addicks Dam road. I looked up her elevation at 90ft it may be higher than average in the area by a few feet to 5 feet or so but not sure where the flooding is at there. I still haven't heard nothing from her at all.

Both reservoirs will be opened further over the next few days, areas to the West that are currently safe are going to start flooding.

Currently, 2,000 homes are flooded by Addicks, 670 homes by Barker, those numbers will be increasing as the week progresses.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My buddy Carl in Houston checked in to say all was well in his area, but the shooting range he teaches at will be closed for a few days.

I asked him how folks are holding up. He said "we're Texans, we'll be fine".

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Finally heard from my sister...... none of her houses have flooded so far and she is currently in Louisiana working but may not be able to get home etc..... sort of in a pickle I guess.

terjee

Enlightened
Finally heard from my sister...... none of her houses have flooded so far and she is currently in Louisiana working but may not be able to get home etc..... sort of in a pickle I guess.

Insurance might be worth checking out. It's terribly difficult to predict what insurance companies will decide in these types of situations, as some would be supporting, but they could also argue it's not covered, or that force majour suspends coverage. Could be worth giving them a call to check.

Curious situation, I imagine this could be a candidate for both her home-insurance, but possibly also travel-insurance, given that it might be an involuntary extended stay away from home.

I mention it because insurance is often the last thing people think about when they're in the middle of everything, but if she (or anyone else reading this) gets stuck in hotels etc, it's better if insurance picks up the tab, than it burning through savings. Some insurance companies are also great at offering practical assistance, such as figuring out a place to stay, or helping with alternative solutions like getting a flight to family elsewhere or similar. Probably varies by company and continent (I'm in Europe, my knowledge might not apply).

Hope everyone is staying safe, and their loved ones as well.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
95%+ of CenterPoint Energy customers still have power, remarkable..
8HfsxgD.jpg

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Insurance might be worth checking out. It's terribly difficult to predict what insurance companies will decide in these types of situations, as some would be supporting, but they could also argue it's not covered, or that force majour suspends coverage. Could be worth giving them a call to check.

Curious situation, I imagine this could be a candidate for both her home-insurance, but possibly also travel-insurance, given that it might be an involuntary extended stay away from home.

I mention it because insurance is often the last thing people think about when they're in the middle of everything, but if she (or anyone else reading this) gets stuck in hotels etc, it's better if insurance picks up the tab, than it burning through savings. Some insurance companies are also great at offering practical assistance, such as figuring out a place to stay, or helping with alternative solutions like getting a flight to family elsewhere or similar. Probably varies by company and continent (I'm in Europe, my knowledge might not apply).

Hope everyone is staying safe, and their loved ones as well.

I'm sure she has insurance, but maybe not hurricane flood insurance. I've not heard of insurance that covers a stay away from home when it is damaged but wouldn't surprise me if there is such as you can insure almost anything these days if you want to pay the premium with the right company (like LLoyds of London).

markr6

Flashaholic
guys, is redcross the preferred organisation to donate to using paypal?

I've always been told that was the goto organization for donations. No shady stuff going on.

United Way of Greater Houston also seems like a good one.

No matter where you donate, make sure you do it thru the actual website instead of a facebook or email link which could be a scam. There's a special place in hell for those individuals, but don't give them the satisfaction while still here on earth.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@markr6, thanks for the information.
I split my small donation between RedCross and Salvation Army as I can't find the PP link at United Way of Greater Houston.
Strange that it appear in my PP for Salvation Army as donation but RedCross as payment... :shrug:
Hopefully the worst is over.

markr6

Flashaholic
Hopefully the worst is over.

I hope so! I wish a few of the stories wouldn't have even been reported in the news...it just makes you sick to think about. The media has to do their job, but some things are just too much to even read about, let alone live or see first hand.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I hope so! I wish a few of the stories wouldn't have even been reported in the news...it just makes you sick to think about. The media has to do their job, but some things are just too much to even read about, let alone live or see first hand.

But you have to look at the the legal aspects of the problem to prevent it from happening again; Texas has no fire code, for example, so if you have an industrial plant there, you don't have to install fire sprinklers or worry about fire safety and handling rules; great news for bringing in business, but then there's the bad news..

8bsvexr.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
But you have to look at the the legal aspects of the problem to prevent it from happening again; Texas has no fire code, for example, so if you have an industrial plant there, you don't have to install fire sprinklers or worry about fire safety and handling rules; great news for bringing in business, but then there's the bad news..

I was talking more about some specific stories where they simply give TMI. The heartbreaking ones you can't un-read.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Redcross and united way are good organizations to donate to. At least for sure, they're not a scam. Houston football star JJ Watt has setup a crowd funding site to help not just Houston, but anyone that has been affected by Harvey. He's a standup guy and would give his all to make sure the money goes directly to the victims. He's loved by all here in Houston. You can donate here if you don't want to donate RC or UW.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Chris Kyle Frog Foundation is doing a lot of good stuff for fellow Texans. Small organization with a low overhead and a bunch of dedicated volunteers.

Their home base is Midlothian Tx, which is SW of Dallas. Local people helping local people.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This storm has been crazy. I hope any of you who do live down in the areas that were hit are doing okay.