Hurricane Harvey: Members Please Check In! BE SAFE!!!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Well my sister didn't get flooded at all, but lost the food in her fridge from power going out for 48 hours while she was away so I think for her the only issue is getting around town some places are almost impassable for the water so trip planning is a necessity.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Realizing that this is a "check in" thread for folks affected I'd like to say there are numerous cool things happening where American is helping American.

First, Glenn Beck's Mercury 1 has volunteered to pay for the fuel used by American Airlines planes used to transport helpers to Houston.
Next, those helpers are from a group of 48,000! veterans called Rubicon and about 1500 have volunteered to help the cause. Seems AA is willing to donate some seats on flights stopping near the hurricane affect area. Rubicon is negotiating with them as I type this.
Third, neighbor helping neighbor stories abound where volunteers are jumping in to help "gut" flood stricken homes but at times have trouble finding folks to help... well, that will allow it. Here's what's happening... group of folks knock on a door offering assistance. Neighbor says "guy across the street needs your help worse than me." They go there and that fellow says "lady 2 doors down has it worse than me."...

I'm hearing story after story like that.

Red Cross, Salvation Army and lots of other groups are swelling with donations, hotel chains like Hilton are sheltering flood victims...
It's just heart warming to hear the stories of big hearted American people (and even a few corparations) doing so much in Texas right now.

Last edited:

Blackbird13

Enlightened
I actually donate each week to united way , but have always been told that very very little goes to the people who need it . Instead there ceo's make millions in salary each year. Same goes for Red Cross . Sadly we all give so to help.its a shame that so little makes it to the ones that need it most. You can look up these figures for yourselves. I believe Salvation Army is a better route or some local church groups or shelters . But the act of giving is still an honorable deed no matter what, and it's great to hear people doing so much of it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I actually donate each week to united way , but have always been told that very very little goes to the people who need it . Instead there ceo's make millions in salary each year. Same goes for Red Cross . Sadly we all give so to help.its a shame that so little makes it to the ones that need it most. You can look up these figures for yourselves. I believe Salvation Army is a better route or some local church groups or shelters . But the act of giving is still an honorable deed no matter what, and it's great to hear people doing so much of it.

Let's not be criticizing organizations helping the victims. Not appropriate here, and it is off topic.

Bill

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Looks like predictions of catastrophic storm surge in Naples might not be coming true. Hope that apples to Marco and everyone else. From Bill in Marco:

"I have lost electric & wifi so sending from phone.
--------------------------------------/------Marcoites. Our prayers have been answered!!The good Lord and the Calusa Gods are looking out for our piece of Paradise.

NBC-2 just announced that the "Storm Surge" scenario anticipated on Marco and Naples "
said it " looks like storm surge is NOT unfolding right now-- not even close to what we thought it would--water/tides seem to be coming back in normal." Still could be isolated flooding, etc.

Electric and water is out on Marco, but little major damage! May be a few days for folks to get back on so island is sustainable. More emergency information when I have power/wifi back. Take care"

I still may have to go down and help my uncle clean up and salvage but the first good news I heard all day.