I cant decide!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I see, some new info that I didn't know(about schools in Canada).

The RC-F4 with RCR123s is just at the edge, I wouldn't recommend it.

17670 batteries are about the same size as 2 CR123s stacked on top of each other. 17670 batteries are 17mm wide and 67 m long. A Cr123 battery is 16mm wide, and around 34mm long. Similarly, a 18650 battery is 18mm wide and 65mm long, though some should be labeled 18670. The protection circuit adds some length.

A 17670 battery has a bit more capacity then 2 RCR123s and 18650 batteries have more capacity then 17670 batteries.

According to this runtime graph(from this thread) the RC-N3 runs a bit over an hour on 1 RCR123. Here's runtime on 2 2300 mAh NiMh AA batteries.

By eye the RC-F4 should be around 30-40% brighter then the RC-N3 on 2 AA batteries. The difference between the RC-N3 on RCR123s and the RC-F4 won't be that much 5-10% by eye at most. Our eyes sense light logarithmically, as in it takes 4x the light for one light to seem 2x as bright as another. You might see a difference but it won't be a great difference.

Last edited:

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
I see, some new info that I didn't know(about schools in Canada).

17670 batteries are about the same size as 2 CR123s stacked on top of each other. 17670 batteries are 17mm wide and 67 m long. A Cr123 battery is 16mm wide, and around 34mm long. Similarly, a 18650 battery is 18mm wide and 65mm long, though some should be labeled 18670. The protection circuit adds some length.

A 17670 battery has a bit more capacity then 2 RCR123s and 18650 batteries have more capacity then 17670 batteries.

According to this runtime graph(from this thread) the RC-N3 runs a bit over an hour on 1 RCR123. Here's runtime on 2 2300 mAh NiMh AA batteries.

By eye the RC-F4 should be around 30-40% brighter then the RC-N3 on 2 AA batteries. The difference between the RC-N3 on RCR123s and the RC-F4 won't be that much 5-10% by eye at most. Our eyes sense light logarithmically, as in it takes 4x the light for one light to seem 2x as bright as another. You might see a difference but it won't be a great difference.

Interesting.. Well Ive decided to go with the C3 and the G2. Ill order them tomorrow (hopefully the refund will have been issued by then). Ill check back here one more time to ensure that ive made the right choice. It 1 am here in ontario (standard eastern time) and i should prob get to bed rather then :drool: over flashlights and trying to get grub installed on my usb device.

thanks for all your help once again

Hermes1908

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I hope you like the lights!

Once you learn to solder, try modding the RC-G2. That light has a good bit of potential.

big beam

Enlightened
Gunner12,
My N3 from shiningbeam(Q5) draws 930ma from a fully charged powerizer RCR 123 battery.Thats why I said .5 hrs for it.YMMV.
DON

Last edited:

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Someone on DX said that the C3 emits 90 lumens on an RCR123 for 40 mins and 65 lumens on a primary for 90 mins. They went on to say that 90 lumens is more than enough light and when used in complete darkness can blind the user. So I ordered primary protected trustfires instead of rechargeables. I might get rechargeable ones later.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Primary batteries don't have protection like a rechargeable. Just by from good companies and that's the safest bet.

big beam, I see. But runtime should be over 30 minutes unless your battery has a lower capacity.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
But I wont have to worry as much cause I wont be mixing batteries with the RC-C3 it only takes 1 CR123A anyway. I bought the trustfire brand.

dulridge

Enlightened

Works fine for me with both RCR123 and 17670 (unprotected). It is a little bit brighter with the RCR123 cells f which i have plenty as I do of 17670's rescued from a laptop battery pack.

It has had several cycles on both and at present has RCR123s in it. No trouble at all after several hours on RCR 123 cells.

It will not take 18650 cells without boring and my friend with a lathe is between houses just now. Reckon there's plenty of metal to bore it out for 18650 cells if you have the equipment.

dulridge

Enlightened
Yes, single cells are a good bit safer then multiple cells. No worried about battery balancing.

Indeed! This is important...

Single cells are almost always a better bet when dealing with lithium cells. As long as the brightness/runtime suit you.

If not, you had better know what compromises you are making unless you enjoy burns. Most people do not. and the wait in most ER's is no fun. spent 3hr there with a patient (don't ask - I'm not allowed to talk about it) today...

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Ouch.. I know CR123As are known to explode as they emit hydrogen when they are in use but what about 18650s? Are they any safer?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lithium batteries are pretty safe when used properly. I don't know the numbers for Lithium battery or Lithium Ion rechargeable explosions but I'd expect the number to be pretty low.

As long as you don't puncture them or abuse them the chances of those batteries acting up on you is pretty low.

I'm not sure if Li-ion batteries are safer then Lithium primaries but they should be pretty safe if you buy protected ones and/or know what not to do.

There is an electronic section and there is a good bit of battery discussion there.

Here's a thread that might help.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the same boat as Gunner12, but :welcome: anyways.

I'd definitly go with the Jetbeam.

Got the 2.0 version of the Jetbeam, it's a great little EDC light.

Also, lithium primaries are generally a bit safer than lithium ion cells, as the recharging part is where most lithium-ion mishaps happen, and you conveniently sidestep that with primaries... at the cost of buying disposable cells. And yeah, definitely a single rechargeable lithium-ion cell is safer than two.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely want to be careful with the li-ions :thumbsup:

I had a laptop battery vent, and it was not at all fun :( Neither was putting out the fire and replacing the flooring :mad:
In retrospect, it was a bad idea to use my laptop straight out of my car in triple digit heat. :ohgeez:

I still think the jetbeam will kick the pants off the other lights you listed. After buying an Ultrafire C3, I'd sooner spend my money on a mini-mag. I dropped it onto a carpeted, padded floor, and bent the head all out of shape. :scowl:

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
What about an RC-G2 with a Q5 emitter from shining beam? It claims to have an output of 100 lumens on a single aa battery!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's pretty much the same RC-G2 but with a more efficient/powerful bin.

100 lumen might be with fresh batteries and at the emitter but is is definitely possible. There have been mods of the G2 using the Cree XR-E Q5 and this driver. Presuming the stated current is what the LED is seeing, then that should be around 200 lumen at the emitter.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Just received my RC-G2 and RC-C3!! A week earlier than I expected too. So far im loving the RC-C3 its alot smaller than I thought it would be which is a plus. I am using CR123 primaries and I might order rechargeables soon to see if it makes any difference in terms of output (not that it needs any). The RC-G2 is also great probably my second brightest light (next to the C3) as the reviews have claimed it has superb throw and decent output for something that runs on a P2 and 1 AA battery. Overall I am quite impressed. I thank you once more for your advice.

--Hermes1908

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Something seems to be wrong with one of my RC-G2s sometimes when I turn it on it works but othertimes it doesnt. In order to get it to work I have to play with the tailcap and take out and revolve the battery. Sometimes it stops working while im using it. The problem is similar to what this guy has with his F4 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9XK8t4QTvRs). Does anybody know whats wrong with my flashlight?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something seems to be wrong with one of my RC-G2s sometimes when I turn it on it works but othertimes it doesnt. In order to get it to work I have to play with the tailcap and take out and revolve the battery. Sometimes it stops working while im using it. The problem is similar to what this guy has with his F4 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9XK8t4QTvRs). Does anybody know whats wrong with my flashlight?
Might be a contact problem.

I had similar problems with both of the Aurora R2's I ordered from DX. I chalk it up to loose manufacturing tolerance and the price you pay for getting a cheaper light.

This is why I pay a bit more for reliability (as well as better build quality), with the Fenix / NiteCore lights, for example.

Hermes1908

Newly Enlightened
Nvm. I popped in a rechargeable duracel and didnt have any problems after that. Remind me never to use cheap dollar store batteries again.

Latest posts