I did it!! My first ROP!!

Valolammas

Enlightened
Good to see another incan believer! (I love my LED lights for their small size and runtime, but when you want it bright, incan delivers.)

When I put together my Mag85 last autumn, I of course took it with me when I was walking the dog at night. This was before snowfall, so it was really dark outside. I tested the throw across a small lake we live by and when we got back inside, my wife said she'd watched us through the window and we looked like a lighthouse beacon with the beam cutting back and forth across the lake. She doesn't like to admit it, but she was clearly impressed.

That being said, the Mag85 is bigger than the ROP. I love the ROP for being a much more manageable 2D size.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I did go outside lastnight and blasted away. With the fully charged, hot off the charger eneloops, the old ROP-Hi bulb was able to light things I haven't seen in awhile on some of the neighbors houses. Amazing, yes I was giggling like a little kid with a new toy.

Lux, the 5761 is on the drawing board as we speak with the parts for the Mag85 on the way.

Bob E.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
I did go outside lastnight and blasted away. With the fully charged, hot off the charger eneloops, the old ROP-Hi bulb was able to light things I haven't seen in awhile on some of the neighbors houses. Amazing, yes I was giggling like a little kid with a new toy.

Lux, the 5761 is on the drawing board as we speak with the parts for the Mag85 on the way.

Bob E.

How many minutes of "impressive" output did you get?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,
Quick question for you.

Is it practical to attempt to use a 5761 in a 2D
using FM's bi pin adaptor, and 6 aa. Right now I am using 2700 Sanyo's.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Bimemrboy318, I don't have a runtime for you. I just played no more than 3 to 4 minutes total. I didn't want to make the neighbors think that the SWAT team was in the neighborhood!

Lux, I am with Anglepoise here, can we use the same 6xAA holders for the 5761? I got my tooling for the lathe and will attempt to cutdown and rethread a 3 D for use with 2x 26500 (?) Emolis this weekend.

Bob E.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if the ROP hi bulb will melt the bulb tower and how long a run it takes?

Lightguy27

Enlightened
What do you guys mean melt the bulb tower? I have only one 3D Mag and the tower which the bulb goes into is full metal. It is an older one so are the new ones made with plastic towers or something?

-Evan

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know if the ROP hi bulb will melt the bulb tower and how long a run it takes?

The tower of my ROP became slightly textured because of heat. Since it happened it seems it haven't worsen with a few full battery discharge cycles (around 25 minutes). The solder blob may melt (quality problem) but if you reform it with an iron, it won't melt again! There is probably some flux left that lower the melting point of the solder. Also, many people recomment running the bulb for a few minutes (10-15) with thead off when the bulb is new, else the reflector can fog up (it happened with 2 ROP-HI bulb here, didn't happen with ROP-LO bulb).

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have added that I am using a completely stock 2 D M@g in the stock bulb holder...everything stock except for the reflector and battery holder.

Bob

Using the high bulb for long will likely melt or at least distort the plastic window. It could happen with the low bulb too but less likely.

You should do some sort of high current mod to the light. This will decrease resistance and increase the output. It does not change the physical operation of the light.

There are numerous threads to help you.

Like this one

Last edited: