I dont understand.

LSlugger

Newly Enlightened
Personally, the Lithium / LED combo has pulled me in. I used to think there were two kinds of flashlights: Maglites, and generic D-cell flashlights, the latter of which are usually in a closet with dead batteries, a blown bulb, or a bad switch (or all of the above). Not good for preparedness.

It all started when I Googled flashlights and read about SureFire. It had never occurred to me to use those really expensive camera batteries in a flashlight, nor had I realized that LEDs have gotten so bright. Here are some solid flashlights that I can leave in a closet, or a car, or a backpack, and they will Just Work.

After lurking here for a while I splurged on an HDS EDC, a tough aluminum tube that holds a single 123A battery and puts out 42 lumens of light (i.e., more than a typical D-cell flashlight) with an LED that should last a long time. A week later, I found a SureFire U2 pretty cheap (at the mall, of all places), so I suddenly had two of these new-fangled contraptions.

I don't consider myself a collector, but recent events have increased my focus on preparedness, so I am researching a variety of tools, including flashlights, to help with that. For EDC, I want something really small; for checking on that "bump in the night," I want something really bright; etc.

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Before LED/Lithiums, there was little variation from the standard 2D-cell, whether it be metal or plastic. I remember the first time I saw a yellow 3D-cell RayoVac, I thought it was so cool. So I would always be drawn to anything unusual such as side by side battery arrangements, or twin bulbs, multi-colors, mini-flashlights and penlights etc. But they were really all the same for a long, long time, it seemed. Cheap, dim and dumb.

Now though, it's a whole new world and we are seeing it develop right before our eyes. Really bright LED's, rechargable lithium batteries, progammable flashlights with regulation... Think about it. I am still always fascinated though, that there can be so many ways to design a combination of parts, (battery, switch and bulb) in so many different configurations. Just like the huge variety you see in simple folding knives, but that's another prob...ah, addict...er, hobby.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will understand when you have been lurking around here for sometime,
its the same thingwith Motor cars, cell phones, computer,, Ipods, guns,
guitars ect

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Several years ago I discovered that the AA MiniMag was issued by MagLite in many colors, I decided it would be fun to try and collect one of each color! I called the Mag folks and asked them what colors I needed to have to have a complete set of AA MiniMags. I had more than they remembered!

collection.jpg

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
Actually, you can....first Aluminum will hurt if you "accidently club yourself...say if a 6D mag fell off a shelf and your sitting right under it..:laughing:
Slim probability, but...hey, it could happen:grin2:

When I was about 15 (3 years ago) I had my 2D Mag on top of my bed's "headboard". My alarm went off and I jumped and it fell on my head. :mad: Damn Mags.

Roy said:
Several years ago I discovered that the AA MiniMag was issued by MagLite in many colors, I decided it would be fun to try and collect one of each color! I called the Mag folks and asked them what colors I needed to have to have a complete set of AA MiniMags. I had more than they remembered!

collection.jpg

Roy, don't forget about proper color order - ROY G BIV. :lolsign:

Illum

Flashaholic
ericg533 said:
When I was about 15 (3 years ago) I had my 2D Mag on top of my bed's "headboard". My alarm went off and I jumped and it fell on my head. :mad: Damn Mags.

LOL, so it CAN happen and it did happen:ohgeez: