I dropped my A2 from waist height!!!

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
I dropped it on a marble floor and I ruined the incan bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The filament separated from one of the posts. This is my first surefire incand and I'm suprised such a fall can ruin a bulb like that.

On a positive note, there was not even a scratch or a dent on he bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it makes you feel any better, you are talking about possibly dozens of g's with an impact like that -- two hard items coming into contact at around a meter per second.

I assume the LEDs are still ok? Pretty reliable light in my book, even if it was a $25 tumble.

Scott

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
The leds are in perfect working order. As soon as I get home from work, I'm gonna put in a replacement bulb and hopefully it should work fine again. It was a pretty harsh impact, the light landed on its bezel. Oh well next time i'll be more carefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pyro

Enlightened
It is, after all an incand light, and these bulbs are fragile,
no matter if they are in a Surefire or somehting else.
Maybe a shock isolated bezel would have helped, but
even these are not "designed to be dropped"

That said, i dropped my own A2 more often than i can
remember, sometimes on concrete most to carpet or
wood floor.
And i am still on the original bulb with >3 dozens
of batteries through that little bulb.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call Surefire and have them send you a replacement bulb.
There's no excuse for a $25 bulb breaking from a three foot fall.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Owen said:
Call Surefire and have them send you a replacement bulb.
There's no excuse for a $25 bulb breaking from a three foot fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, I must completely, totally, and in all other ways, disagree with this.

First of all, right in SureFire's plain English warranty it says "Bulbs break, switches fail, but other than that, if it breaks, we fix it" or something along those lines. Incandescent lamps are NOT covered, although SureFire will always replace one that blows at first use.

Second, a three foot fall onto a marble floor is a whole lot different than a three foot fall onto wood, or carpet or earth. This is extremely punishing, and even a Shock Isolated bezel would be tested to the limit in this case, although I bet the filament would survive in an SI bezel.

So, in my opinion, it is not right to ask SF to warrantee this lamp. It's not even a Shock Isolated bezel, for cryin' out loud.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Jim,

I agree with you - "bulbs break" applies to all bulbs - even SureFire's bulbs.

How does that Forst Gump saying go?

It happens.
What 'poop'?
Sometimes.

However, when we invest our money into a product we also invest emotions and create attachments.

Bottomline - the more it costs, the more pissed off we are when it breaks.

So it is bad luck, and it's worse luck because it disappoints us.

SureFire have a great reputation for often replacing our Lamp Assemblies when we have accidents.

The first time I dropped my A2 I was getting out of a van and it fell from the seat onto the rough concrete floor of the warehouse we had just driven into. Checking to see whether what you've dropped still works is a nerve-wrecking moment I know!
My A2 gained character that day. The bulb has lasted over 45 hours.

Al

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Try dropping an E2D from the 2nd floor into concrete while its still on. The bulb survived!

It totally depends on the angel it impacted. BTW it impacted on the brezel... btw which surefire torches are impact isolated? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Millenium series and most SF incandescents designed to be mounted on a rifle or shotgun have components that help the bulb survive recoil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Luna

Enlightened
It depends on how the light lands as to the effectiveness of the shock isolation. It is ment more as recoil dampening, not falls.

Jefff

Enlightened
that would **** me off still .. maybe just a flook .. I havent read many complaints about this type of thing happening and Surefire is a company that is projecting the image of rough and tough light sources that can stand up to battle environments and tactical use.. you would think that a drop test would be higher than waist hight and on all kinds of contact surfaces and angles of impact .. sorry to hear about this. hope it was just a flook

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jefff,

Look. The A2 is NOT a combat, special ops light. The M2, M3, M4, M6, and weapons lights ARE. And they are either LED or SI incan. SureFire lights are rough and tough and will stand up to use and abuse, but SureFire can't make miracles happen. If it isn't shock isolated, and its an incan, and you drop it onto concrete or stone or asphalt, it's likely to break. Asking for this never to happen is just plain absurd. Don't blame SureFire for it. Blame incandescents, if you want to place blame, but not SureFire. In my experience, SureFire lamps are tougher than most, especially the HOLA's. Be reasonable, OK?

Jefff

Enlightened
Js your a good guy and a pretty good judge of Character from the post I have read by ya on here .. but don't get me wrong here .. I'm not blaming anyone or any thing.. just stating a fact that it would get under my skin if it had been my $100 light falling from just my waist hight and blowing.. dang do ya work for surefire? lol .. calm down man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif doesn't matter who the manufacture would have been or is .. $25 bucks is $25 bucks for a new bulb.. and a rather common hight of impact for anyone that has ever dropped there light to blow .. and I believe that the A2 is a pilot or aircraft operator type light and would still have the same testing brought unto it for those types of situations as well.. sometimes it feels like this isn't the internet and a public forum and that the freedom of thought and speech is only limited to the chosen few .. .. as a side note I do however see your point.. and yes it is liable to happen but for that much money for a light and then to have to shell out even more for a lamp or handle it with kid gloves that is kinda silly..

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO. Some of you make idiots of yourselves in the name of brand loyalty. I love Surefires myself, but that doesn't keep me from being objective about them.
According to SF ALL of their lights have "extreme ruggedness", and for those of you who want to mislead people about the warranty, here it is:
Guarantee
Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and tape switches for WeaponLights™ will eventually need to be replaced. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Chalk it up to "excessive gravity." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Was the light on when it was dropped? It seems to me that filaments are more fragile when they're hot. I've blown far more bulbs from vibration while they're running than when they're off.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I don't blame surefire when i dropped and broke my mn03. I blame them for all my blown bulbs!(6 of them) try blowing an mn03 every 2 months! Not dropping it juz blow when changing to new batteries

Latest posts