I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may be close in tint, but that does NOT mean they are the same. The incan produces much more of the visible light spectrum than a warm tinted LED. I bet if you shined a beam from an incan thru a prism, then the highest CRI LED thru one, you would see a big difference.

But then again, I may be wrong.

Yes incans are full spectrum, but are systematically deficient in short wavelength blue light compared to longer wavelengths. LEDs are naturally monochromatic blue (short wavelength) with the phosphor there to correct to white. This is how I understand it atm: The process of phospher correction generally gives LED light peaks at different wavelengths and it is true that even 90 CRI etc light still shows these peaks across the spectrum, where incans show a steady rise from the shorter wavelengths to longer ones. The human perceptual system only has 3 colour receptor sub-types (Short/Blue + Short-Long/Green and Long-Long/Red. Yellow is a combination of both Long wavelength receptors firing) so this even spread doesn't actually matter as much as you would expect for perceptual accuracy of colour reproduction. This of course depends on the amount of 'peakiness', where the peaks are and how wide they are and how relatively strong etc but LEDs are moving to more and more full spectrum possibilities concurrently with the exploration of using RGB LEDs for accurate colour reproduction, which would still be very 'peaky' objectively, but from our perception indistinguishable from full spectrum.

SemiMan

Banned
I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,

incandescent bulb gives warm light like the sun, while LED gives the cold light that I dont like

how about you?

Ahh .... spoken like someone who has never had a truly high CRI warm white LED in a flashlight. But then again, what's not to like about INCAN

- Really warm (unnatural?) light .... like a hot fire, not at all like the sun or moonlight for that matter
- Terrible beam homogeneity .... I like my hotspot looking like a Rorschach test
- Really poor run time
- Inability to be effectively dimmed

But hey it is a personal choice.

Semiman

fishndad

Enlightened
don't know where you went to school, but last I checked light was a wave, not a particle. At least that is what they taught in engineering school in Physics class.
light is both wave and particles.and the amount concentrated in a narrow space depending on atmospheric conditions will determine
how far it travels allong with hundreds of other factors.My point was simple if you do not agree than you are only being argumentative.
(light does not travel further becouse its incondescent)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I like LEDs better.

Of course, its a loaded question, as everyone has a SPECIFIC set of examples that THEY use to draw the line used to judge it.

If my incan light is a a surefire P6, and my LED is a Klarus XT11....um, the LED is better in every way.

If my incan is a heavily modified overdriven souped up amp monster, and my LED is a shower head led I got at the check out line at the truck stop, my incan will be better....and so forth.

If "Led" to YOU simply means the weak el cheapo ones at the truck stop, or the DX specials that advertise cold fusion, etc, for a dollar...sure, "Leds have no throw, and are weak, and are blue, etc"

Similarly, if "Incan" to YOU simply means the el cheapo plastic lights you periodically bang on to make them light up again for a bit...then, sure. "Incans have a weak yellow beam and quickly drain your battery and leave you in the dark"

Its a bell curve, and, everyone here's opinion lies on it somewhere.

:D

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like some of posters here never had a good inc. light, and compare leds to stock 4d maglite. lmao.
thanks for good laugh

fishndad

Enlightened
looks like some of posters here never had a good inc. light, and compare leds to stock 4d maglite. lmao.
thanks for good laugh

(a good inc.) say putting out 500 lumen in the exact same light, under the exact same conditions,with the exact same color spectrum as an led putting out 500 lumen will throw further?:thinking:
And a pound of steel weighs more than a pound of carbon fiber.
no one is dismissing incon or claiming led is better.Only trying to state throw is not improved by the incan bulb.
Please enlighten me if im wrong,i do accept that others are more educated on the principles of light.
with there engeneering degrees.I am but a humble union electrician who watches big bang and repeats what i here from Raj and Sheldon.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
thanks for good laugh
Looks like some posters have not yet experienced modern LED's and just want to compare to retina searing blue T1A's. Don't stoop to ridicule of those you disagree with - it's unbecoming and no at all in the spirit of CPF.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
(a good inc.) say putting out 500 lumen in the exact same light, under the ,with the exact same color spectrum as an led putting out 500 lumen will throw further?:thinking:

there is no such thing, as exact same conditions, in real world, not even gonna respond to the rest.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like some posters have not yet experienced modern LED's and just want to compare to retina searing blue T1A's. Don't stoop to ridicule of those you disagree with - it's unbecoming and no at all in the spirit of CPF.
well lets see, i'm into flashlights for 10+years, posted plenty of builds\experements, have tried majority led\ inc. bulb that are available, so yea, lmao. thanks.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
well lets see, i'm into flashlights for 10+years, posted plenty of builds\experiments, have tried majority led\ inc. bulb that are available, so yea, lmao. thanks.
You left out the most important part of my post in your reply - don't stoop to ridicule of those you disagree with - it's unbecoming and not at all in the spirit of CPF.

Fact of the matter is that some people prefer one over the other because their minds are made up ahead of time and to suggest that the only people who prefer or like LED's are only using a stock Maglite as their point of comparison is childish to say the least. You've got good reasons for your opinions and the rest of us do too, but that's all they are - personal preferences.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the warmth of the incan over the LED (need to get some nichia's), but run time on the LED. I also had an intereting experience last night when I was driving and don't know what to make of it. When I shine my incan through my windshield I can spotlight anything wwith little or no relfection in the car. The LED does not seem to throw through the windshield and I get a lot of refelcted light back into the car.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I like the warmth of the incan over the LED (need to get some nichia's), but run time on the LED. I also had an interesting experience last night when I was driving and don't know what to make of it. When I shine my incan through my windshield I can spotlight anything with little or no reflection in the car. The LED does not seem to throw through the windshield and I get a lot of reflected light back into the car.
If you haven't tried the hCRI XP-G you may be in for a treat. The first time I tried one I was sitting underneath incandescent lighting and shining my modded V10R under the table, it looked liked a continuation of the overhead lighting.

I'm really curious now your experiment and will give it a try tonight - good chance to pull out all the Surefires - especially my favorite E2E and 9AN!

Brigadier

Enlightened
See my previous post. Surefire M6 vs. M6. Can't get much better than that.

I like LEDs better.

Of course, its a loaded question, as everyone has a SPECIFIC set of examples that THEY use to draw the line used to judge it.

If my incan light is a a surefire P6, and my LED is a Klarus XT11....um, the LED is better in every way.

If my incan is a heavily modified overdriven souped up amp monster, and my LED is a shower head led I got at the check out line at the truck stop, my incan will be better....and so forth.

If "Led" to YOU simply means the weak el cheapo ones at the truck stop, or the DX specials that advertise cold fusion, etc, for a dollar...sure, "Leds have no throw, and are weak, and are blue, etc"

Similarly, if "Incan" to YOU simply means the el cheapo plastic lights you periodically bang on to make them light up again for a bit...then, sure. "Incans have a weak yellow beam and quickly drain your battery and leave you in the dark"

Its a bell curve, and, everyone here's opinion lies on it somewhere.

:D

Agreed

thanks for good laugh

BTDT with the two aforementioned M6's. Can't get much closer than that, can you.
Now, you are technically correct - that the lights throw equal distances, but the bluer LED light is refracted more and LESS returns BACK to the user. Add fog/rain/snow and it is even more obvious.

(a good inc.) say putting out 500 lumen in the exact same light, under the exact same conditions,with the exact same color spectrum as an led putting out 500 lumen will throw further?:thinking:
And a pound of steel weighs more than a pound of carbon fiber.
no one is dismissing incon or claiming led is better.Only trying to state throw is not improved by the incan bulb.
Please enlighten me if im wrong,i do accept that others are more educated on the principles of light.
with there engeneering degrees.I am but a humble union electrician who watches big bang and repeats what i here from Raj and Sheldon.

This IS the incan forum. Why are you here instead of the LED forum if for no other reason than to stir up crap?

You left out the most important part of my post in your reply - don't stoop to ridicule of those you disagree with - it's unbecoming and not at all in the spirit of CPF.

Fact of the matter is that some people prefer one over the other because their minds are made up ahead of time and to suggest that the only people who prefer or like LED's are only using a stock Maglite as their point of comparison is childish to say the least. You've got good reasons for your opinions and the rest of us do too, but that's all they are - personal preferences.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
- don't stoop to ridicule of those you disagree with - it's unbecoming and not at all in the spirit of CPF.

i didn't it's led fan boys came here, in inc. thread telling how leds are better, and we have no idea what we talking about, scroll up to see.
btw xp-g hi cri isn't the best example, nichia is.
and 4d maglite example wasn't mine, that is why it made me lmao.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
And I dare anyone to show me a '140 lumen' LED Turbohead light that will reach out as far as my Surefire 9ANT.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep loving white hot wires and streams of plasma, and keep checking the improvements of high CRI leds. The 92+CRI 3000K and 4500K LEDs have pretty much satisfied me for now, at least where battery life is any consideration.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This IS the incan forum. Why are you here instead of the LED forum if for no other reason than to stir up crap?
Still CPF and there's better done for the cause of continued popularity of incans by staying with facts, allowing open conversation and mellowing out a bit. I know you'd like for anyone who doesn't agree with not to be allowed, but to what benefit? I bet we could have this same conversation in person without you having to get so worked up, so let's keep it that way, even though we're only talking over the forums.

Read the thread title again before continuing to attempt to shut down friendly discourse.
i didn't it's led fan boys came here, in inc. thread telling how leds are better, and we have no idea what we talking about, scroll up to see.
btw xp-g hi cri isn't the best example, nichia is.
and 4d maglite example wasn't mine, that is why it made me lmao.
Fanboys suggests that some are blindly protective of their preferred emitter, and as such I've seen this primarily coming from incan-is-best crowd.

Nichia is not the best example that I've seen so far, as the most incan looking emitters I have come from Cree, particularly my hCRI XP-G, and once again, to state that the best is from Nichia is once again nothing more than an opinion, made appropriate here only because the title of the thread invited comparisons.

flashfiend

Enlightened
For color and throw it's hard to beat an incan but for the most part runtime is terrible excepting my FiveMega D26 Socket Kit with Strion bulb. Throw, color, and sufficient runtime for most uses.