I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...had an interesting experience last night when I was driving and don't know what to make of it. When I shine my incan through my windshield I can spotlight anything with little or no reflection in the car. The LED does not seem to throw through the windshield and I get a lot of reflected light back into the car.
I took several lights out to the car tonight and tried this with my stock TC-R1, E2E, 9AN, Scorpion, hCRI P4 Clicky, hCRI XP-G Clicky and Nichia 119 Haiku. The worst of all was the cool tinted TC-R1 (as most would suspect) not only because of the tint, but also because its XM-L makes it my floodiest light. Next were the other floody lights, but there seemed to be little advantage to the incans in shining through the windshield aside from their inherently narrower focus.
In retrospect I should have taken the E1e too, as it has a frosted lens and is both floodier with less of a hotspot, and wider than even my TC-R1.

Then I went outside and started lighting the tops of trees and was surprised when the 9AN (which handily bested my favorite E2E and I also expected to be the best for searching the trees) took back seat to both of the Clicky's. It looked beautiful for all the reasons we love incans, but the extra flood of the Clicky's, Haiku and even the cool (but very high output) TC-R1 made it much easier to see more of what I was looking at. Perceived depth was very good with all lights other than the TC-R1.

Next I did some experiments with shining the lights through a chain-link fence to see if there were any advantages, but the only two opinions I came away with were that cool tints are a no-go and it definitely works better if you're right up to the fence!

I'm going to leave a bunch of the lights in the car and try some more distance comparisons to try and determine what conditions I prefer the incan for. One thing for sure - I love the warmth and even if any of the others go, I have no intentions of ever getting rid of my E2E.

flashfiend

Enlightened
I read the whole thread for the first time and this is how I (meaning subjective opinion with some objective observation) see it. I will use the following light sources for comparison (also to show that I have tried various LEDs which people believe will change my view of the world) and will try to identify the host if relevant:

LEDs:

- CREE Neutral XR-E (nailbender P60 drop-in w/ optic)
- CREE Neutral XR-E (Fenix TA21)
- CREE Neutral XP-G 4000K (VanIsleDSM Quad)
- CREE Warm Hi-CRI XP-G 3000K (nailbender D36 drop-in)
- Nichia 219 Neutral Hi-CRI (Oveready Moddoo P60 triple drop-in)
- SST-90 Warm 3000K (nailbender P60 drop-in)
- SST-90 Cool 6500K (nailbender Mag w/ FM deep reflector)
- SST-50 Cool 6500K (nailbender Dereelight DBS pill in DBS host)

Incans:

- Mag85 (w/ FM bi-focal reflector)
- Strion (w/ FM D26/P60 socket)
- Mag5761 (w/ FM v2 Deep Reflector)
- WA1111 (w/ FM D26/P60 Sunlight socket)

Regarding THROW: While it is possible that LEDs can throw light as far as an incan, the incan will have further perceived throw because LEDs are less able to concentrate the available light (excepting aspherics which I have very little experience or interest in). My two best LED throwers have been the DBS, the TA21, and the SST-90 w/ FM Deep, but those had much less perceived throw than even my Strion. Both the Mag85 and the Mag5761 far exceed any of my LEDs in regard to throw but they are biggish lights.

COLOR: As you can see I have some experience with warm HiCRI and neutral HiCRI LEDs. I have to say that I like them a lot for both color (Warm) and color rendition (Warm and Neutral). The warm XP-G gives off great subjective color and the neutral 219 renders colors with incredible accuracy (no change in color when supplementing ambient light sources). However, my personal preference still leans towards incans. The warm XP-G seems more artificially warm. Colors seem warmer but not in any subjective quality approximating sunlight (a preferred light source). The neutral gives exceptionally accurate color rendition but the overall light it gives, again, just feels very artificial. I realize and explicitly state that this is very subjective but I still prefer the color temperature range given by all my incans over the two HiCRI LEDs and any of the other warm or neutral LEDs I have experienced.

SPILL, the other incan advantage: Of the configurations I have when comparing similar host setups, the spill from incans are much greater than LEDs. This is not subjective for me, this is objective observation. If I am pointing the light in a particular direction, I see more light on my surroundings with incans vs. LEDs.

RUNTIME: Advantage LED for the most part excepting the Strion as I have previously noted.

LGT

Enlightened
While I enjoy using my SF incans ,C2 centurion,E1E and E2E exec, the color from my high CRI Predator is oh so close to those that it almost makes them obsolete. The life of the bulb, durability, and battery consumption are major drawbacks. But I also think that the lack of , I may be a little naive here, circuitry, may make them more reliable in the long run.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Forgot about bulb life. Advantage --> LED. Also, LED circuitry and design probably makes them more reliable, not less reliable.

I am unsure if incans will ever be obsolete for me, but admittedly I've just purchased two 219 triples (still waiting for my Mattaus triple) as replacement/substitute EDC lights.

LGT

Enlightened
Forgot about bulb life. Advantage --> LED. Also, LED circuitry and design probably makes them more reliable, not less reliable.

I am unsure if incans will ever be obsolete for me, but admittedly I've just purchased two 219 triples (still waiting for my Mattaus triple) as replacement/substitute EDC lights.
I didn't say incans will be or are obsolete. One of my favorite lights is my E2E. I just think the less "moving parts", the more reliable the light should be. Given that those being compared are of equal quality.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
On the subject of throw, output too needs to be taken into consideration. My TC-R1, while much floodier than my E2E, out throws it by a long shot due to the substantial boost in overall output.

There is such a wide discrepancy in the comparisons between LED lights too. Lately I've noticed my strong preference for whiter lights in general when searching for something, or working in general. However last night while doing some plumbing, it was my warm hCRI XP-G V10R Ti that I ended up using, and the incan-like output made it a joy, especially since I was able to enjoy that tint, while also going higher or lower in output depending on the working distance. Most of the time I was working at a couple of feet, but a few times needed the light up close and there were the 20' shots which required more light as well, readily delivered thanks to the control ring.

Today doing a search I also noticed that while I may generally prefer incan tints at night, I prefer whiter tints during daylight hours. Check it out for yourself and I'm willing to bet that most people will find a change in their preferences between day/night, walking/working.
One of my favorite lights is my E2E.
Mine too - gotta love an E2E.

fyrstormer

Banned
don't know where you went to school, but last I checked light was a wave, not a particle. At least that is what they taught in engineering school in Physics class.
*cough*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave–particle_duality

The most correct 50-cent definition is that light is a quantized wave, which means it behaves like a cluster of particles, each particle representing one quantum of energy.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,
incandescent bulb gives warm light like the sun, while LED gives the cold light that I dont like
how about you?
me too... and having to recently swapped a 90-CRI XP-G LED drop-in to HO-6 bulb drop-in makes me (and my SF 6P) feel happier... much happier... :devil:

fishndad

Enlightened
I admit to never owning a powerfull incan but ill buy one.I want to be versatile and thats all i ever owner till mabey 5 years ago. my price range $45. to $65.
and i will expect it to at the least perform as well as a $45. Remington i picked up for my son.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I admit to never owning a powerfull incan but ill buy one.I want to be versatile and thats all i ever owner till mabey 5 years ago. my price range $45. to $65.
and i will expect it to at the least perform as well as a $45. Remington i picked up for my son.
You'll love the E2E and it's good place to start. There are some pretty good sales on them from time to time, not to mention their availability in the MarketPlace too.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Soooo......you were debating me never having ever owned a powerful incan? :thinking:

Anyway, and easy step into the joy of incans is a Lumensfactory incan. I would look here, and get the configuration you want:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory_c_195.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory_c_119.html

For a real pocket rocket, get this:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-Seraph-SP-6-LED-Single-Mode-Flashlight_p_3216.html

and this

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...e-C-P-Z-Series-IMR-Batteries-ONLY_p_2836.html

Diven by a pair of these

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-IMR-18350-700mAh-LiMN-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_3818.html

or these

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-IMR163...LiMN-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_2626.html

and WOW!!

fishndad

Enlightened

Done! the pocket rocket you recommend looks sweet for $45. low end of my range very slick of you.
Will call it an early fathersday present.
As for the E2E if i like this model, mabey,who knows you might have a convert.

P.S. who makes the E2E LOL

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As for the E2E if i like this model, maybe, who knows you might have a convert.

P.S. who makes the E2E LOL
Here's a thread with lots of e-series lights, although they're mostly LED versions,
there's also plenty of E1e and E2E pics as well, both of which are my favorite incans. My E1e is setup as a floody light
with diffusion material on the lens and my E2E is my thrower.

fishndad

Enlightened
Here's a thread with lots of e-series lights, although they're mostly LED versions,
there's also plenty of E1e and E2E pics as well, both of which are my favorite incans. My E1e is setup as a floody light
with diffusion material on the lens and my E2E is my thrower.

I have a solarforce L2 host on the way.I was going to get an LED drop in but for $20. i will try the incan drop.
the IMR-9 500 drop in was recommended by Brigadier.
Anything else i should know.
Keep in mind ive never modded or pieced together any light.
So i dont want to spend money for items that dont work well (or at all) together.
Thanks.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Depending on the length of the solarforce body:

2x123: you will need 2xIMR16340 or 18350
3x123: you will need 2xIMR18500
4x123: you will need 2xIMR18650

To power that lamp assy, and a charger of course.

I have a solarforce L2 host on the way.I was going to get an LED drop in but for $20. i will try the incan drop.
the IMR-9 500 drop in was recommended by Brigadier.
Anything else i should know.
Keep in mind ive never modded or pieced together any light.
So i dont want to spend money for items that dont work well (or at all) together.
Thanks.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Per the OPs original statement and question
I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,

incandescent bulb gives warm light like the sun, while LED gives the cold light that I dont like

how about you?
I prefer incandescent for in home lighting and since in TX we can still buy incandescent bulbs, we use them.
I prefer LED for my flashlights. I'm a dummy and I just use what seems best for my eyse. I feel that I can see better with a borderline cool/neutral white led than I can with any incandescent. I just feel it's easier and less strain on my eyes, outdoors at night and that's all I need to know.

fishndad

Enlightened
Depending on the length of the solarforce body:

2x123: you will need 2xIMR16340 or 18350
3x123: you will need 2xIMR18500
4x123: you will need 2xIMR18650

To power that lamp assy, and a charger of course.

I got the single 18650 size body coming already have Batts.and charger.

Are you saying a single 18650 will not drive the IMR-9 500? I can order an extinsion tube if need be.

Oh i think i got it 2xRCR123s is around 7.5 to 8 volts vs 1x18650 is only like 4
so im good using my 123s?

Thanks

Last edited:

lightwater

Newly Enlightened
I haven't any warm LED flashlights. But have installed 4 Philips mr16 10w 3000k & 8 2700k down lights. The 3000k are in a home office & the 2700k are in the lounge/dining & bathroom. I would have put them in the kitchen but they were not quite bright enough. The 2700k do look pretty good next to halogens as both are used at the same time, they have a smidgen more of a pink tone, in this situation the 3000k is a little bit cool.

If a 2700k LED is available for a flashlight it will have virtually the same colour as a halogen down light.

I have got accustom to the cool LEDs in flashlights & on occasion when I have used an old incandescent I miss that "crisp" light. I also don't miss the Dolphin which has a shocking environmental footprint of batteries!

I can also stick a JB RRT-0 in my pocket but still have a stack of light. I feel the compact LED flashlights these days have so many advantages which we could only dream of not so long ago which far outweighs the few last remaining & soon redundant issues.

One could in the meantime could use a Lee or Rosco gel in the flashlight with a little loss of light.

Brigadier

Enlightened
ONLY USE IMR BATTERIES WITH THAT LAMP ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!

As per Lumens Factories directions, that lamp pulls too many amps for regular RCR and primaries. 2XIMR16340[RCR123 size] will give about 20 minutes run time. But a wonderful 20 minutes. I use the same set up in a SureFire Z2 as my CCW light as companion to my Beretta 9mm.

If you get the +1 extender, use 2XIMR18500. +2 extender use 2XIMR18650.

I got the single 18650 size body coming already have Batts.and charger.

Are you saying a single 18650 will not drive the IMR-9 500? I can order an extinsion tube if need be.

Oh i think i got it 2xRCR123s is around 7.5 to 8 volts vs 1x18650 is only like 4
so im good using my 123s?

Thanks

SemiMan

Banned
Not trying to stir up more, but wanted to address the issue of "throw".

Adjectives and inconclusive measurements aside, the ability to "throw" is primarily a factor of surface brightness though total output can seem to come into play. After that its all about the size of the optic/reflector.

With the most recent advancements in LEDs, even high CRI warm white LEDs can have surface brightnesses of >50 meganits. This is higher than halogen which is about 1/2 that and even over driven would not achieve 50.

Hence for a similar size and properly designed LED/Incan, the LED is going to out throw it.

Semiman

Most LED lights are designed to be small though