Icon Rogue 1 - First Look Now with Pics!

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Icon Rogue 1 - First Look

Thanks for the review.....also nice job on the pics. Would you consider this light to be a good edc carry.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw the PWN is incredibly high, I'd estimate it is up in the 10KHz range. No hum and on a 3600 rpm fan it cycles about 21 flashes per revolution. (Guesses but non the less it's FAST!)

Well, 3600 rpm is 60 revs per second, so if it flashes 21 times per revolution, it would be 1260 Hz, right? I estimate the PWM flicker rate to be lower than that on the low power setting, maybe I can get another guess with a controlable computer fan with a speed readout, I like your methodology. Perhaps someone here has an oscilloscope or frequency counter to measure the pulse frequency.

Whatever the flicker rate, it is noticable to me.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 3600 rpm is 60 revs per second, so if it flashes 21 times per revolution, it would be 1260 Hz, right? I estimate the PWM flicker rate to be lower than that on the low power setting, maybe I can get another guess with a controlable computer fan with a speed readout, I like your methodology. Perhaps someone here has an oscilloscope or frequency counter to measure the pulse frequency.

Whatever the flicker rate, it is noticable to me.

I always make that mistake switching Hz with minutes on rpm so yes it would be closer to 1KHz which imho makes way more sense. although it's inaudible so either they have good shielding or it's indeed above audible.

I don't think I would EDC this light myself due to the lack of pocket clip. If you don't mind that then it is a fine edc the lock out head only requires a fraction of a turn to lock out.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning to order my new ICON Rogue 1 tomorrow,when I get home from work. Can't wait. (I think I'm hooked....)

Burgess

Flashaholic
My Princeton Tec flashlights have

very nicely textured plastic reflectors. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with plastic,

as long as it doesn't get too hot.

:)
_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Textured plastic is pretty common. I have no problem with plastic reflectors (I don't care for smooth, but that's another story.)

IMHO a orange peel plastic reflector can be superior to a metal one. The beam is nicer than any light I own. Just as good as my U2 or 120P.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey 65535... what´s with the huge bezel logo ?

Is it glued ? Do you think it´s easy to remove it from the bezel ?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess a poor choice in logo placement and size. Although it really doesn't bother me a bit, it seems like it could be peeled off the head pretty easily possibly with just a fingernail.

On the ICON thread there is a link on the last page that shows the Rogue abused and the logo popped off.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about putting this in a single AA holster......right next to my D10, and ITP C9.........

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's about 4.5625" x 1.0625". Much larger than a Novatac 120P that I have.

For the price point and AA features I like it. For output and general use I'd take a Novatac over it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I got my green Rogue 1 in today. I just had to try one out myself.

The fins are flexible. First thing I did was to squeeze on of them flat "testing" it. :shakehead I guess I generate more PSI than others.............
Anyway I fixed it by putting the excellent lanyard in there and pulling it back out. Easy fix but too many times doing this and it'll stay semi deformed!

Best free lanyard I have ever gotten!
Looks quite water resistant.
Cool tint.
I quite like the switch actually, though low first would of been better for me.
I find it funny that a light this inexpensive was able to totally eliminate the Cree ring. :laughing:
Great threads but arrived dry.
Light weight.
Not so fond of the glued in plastic lens, I'm picky like that.
Good size for my hand, not too big or too small.
I really like the low runtime on paper, we'll see...........
Low is not quite low enough but it almost never is in a stock light.
I wish it was more floody actually, the OP is really light on this one.
The symbol on the bezel isn't as huge as the pics led me to believe.

Looks hard to swap the emitter without destroying the thing.:mecry:
There's plastic in that head an alot of glue too. Heat will melt it and brute force will kill it. I'd love to put a 5A Q3 in it for better color temp or maybe even a Seoul to make it more floody! I may risk boiling the whole head next week after I play with it a bit more. I'm liking the Seoul idea though the Krylon sputter would do wonders for the flood aspect..

Sweet little beater light that I can get cells anywhere for and it won't kill me to rough it up or loose it! Good to leave in the car, gear bag, or the locker at work. I might pick up another.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if SureFire is making it I am disappointed and would expect more. The LED in mine is pee green!:thumbsdow

mega_lumens

Enlightened
What makes Rogue different or special than other AA lights in the category? The website claims 3 hours on high on an Alkaline cell. Can anyone confirm if the runtime specs are for alkaline or lithium cells?