Inova: where is the promised new beef?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Pics? RSN. :)

Seriously though, I will do my best on pics - I think I get to keep the X1 and T1 but not the T2.

The T1 and T2 definitely have K2's. The X1 has some tiny little emitter (I haven't seen the X1 but the X1, I am told, uses the same emitter as the AAA Bolt) which I'd guess is a Nichia product but I'm not as well versed in some of the more....esoteric emitters.

*must remember camera*

As long as it is reasonably white and doesn't have a super small hotspot and/or an exceptionally dim spillbeam, I'll be happy with whatever emitter is in the new X1. And for the price, there should be little to complain about. Good aluminum, nice finish, glass lens and it should only be a couple more bucks than the Nuwai/River Rock X1 which, while it's a decent light, has a poor finish and a plastic lens.

pilou

Enlightened
Hopefully, the lens won't be jut glued from the outside anymore, like it is for the 2nd gen X1.

prof

Enlightened
Lambert said:
Quickbeam has an updated review of the X1 with the new LED and reflector. The TIROS system is gone in the new X1. Other than a more usable beamshot, it doesn't look to be that much of an improvement.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x1.htm

Also Inova's website is currently being updated with the new products.

Quickbeam's review is from last year. There's supposed to be a brand new X1 out soon.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick Update:

Okay so I saw the new T1 and X1 today.

The new T1 and T2 are still likely 30 days out - they're building up inventory for shipping. The new T5 is still 45+ days away.

The new X1 has started to ship - but I haven't gotten any eyt. :(

The new X1:
-Is significantly brighter than the Gen 1/2 lights.
-Uses a Luxeon emitter but NOT a K2. I cannot tell you which model but some clever soul will figure it out soon enough. :)
-Eyeball integrating sphere says it's 2X as bright as the Gen 2. Runtimes will be shorter - dunno what they are yet.
-The lense is securely under a bezel.
-It has a diamond turned reflector like the other new X/T series lights.
-The body and switch are essentially unchanged.

New T1:
-Basically what we expected; new reflector like the T3/T4, uses 2 x cr123a.
-Easily twice as bright as the old version - we did a 45 minute run test against a G2 and the T1 held it's own for initial output and within ~10 minutes was brighter; at 45 minutes the T1 was unchanged, the G2 was pretty dim. I don't have final runtime figures but I'd guess 2.5 hours.

Martini

Enlightened
MattK said:
The new X1:
-Uses a Luxeon emitter but NOT a K2. I cannot tell you which model but some clever soul will figure it out soon enough. :)
Interesting. Maybe Inova is grabbing some of the premium LuxIIIs that us CPFers have been ignoring. It's a cheap light, and really tough, so it's hard to complain about the LED not being advanced enough. I'm sure the tint has improved over the CS version.

guam9092

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
Oh I almost forgot - the new T1 is about 80 lumens.

Matt,
Hopefully you'll get the new Inova X-1 soon. I like to pre-order for one if possible but if not I'll wait until you get them in stock.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Johnie,

There's some things I'll take pre-orders on but with Inova it could be 3 days or it could be a month - too unpredictable for me to comfortably take a pre-order.

Don't worry though, when they arrive they're coming in the hundreds!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
New T1: .. uses 2 x cr123a. ....

Will all the lights in Inova's new tactical lineup require at least 2 batteries? That's a disappointment if true.

I like the single cell T1 I have now and was looking forward to another single cell Inova tactical light in the future.

guam9092

Newly Enlightened
MattK said:
Hi Johnie,

There's some things I'll take pre-orders on but with Inova it could be 3 days or it could be a month - too unpredictable for me to comfortably take a pre-order.

Don't worry though, when they arrive they're coming in the hundreds!

Thanks for the info Matt. As soon as you get them let us all know so we can order one.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
...when they arrive they're coming in the hundreds!

Hmm so it sounds like you're going to have enough for me... but what about the rest of CPF? :grin2:

On a more serious note, will there be any X1s with colored emitters? Specifically RED ? Though I am also partial to Amber and Teal emitters as well.
Matt, anyone else know?
(Probibly not because this is Inova we're dealing with and they don't seem to know what they're doing half the time but it's worth asking.)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
parnass said:
Will all the lights in Inova's new tactical lineup require at least 2 batteries? That's a disappointment if true.

I like the single cell T1 I have now and was looking forward to another single cell Inova tactical light in the future.

Dunno. If the T1 doesn't get any longer but can use 2 cells, I'd be pretty happy about that. I would think that 2 cells together will be more efficient than one at a time given the same, higher current draw.

cslinger

Enlightened
Dunno. If the T1 doesn't get any longer but can use 2 cells, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Count me among the bummed because they have moved to a two cell format. I really prefer single cell lights and with all the advanced in LEDs etc. huge amounts of light can be realized with just a 3 Watt LED and a single 123 cell much less a CREE or Seoul.

I would have rather seen them go in the other direction. 1 cell but shorter then the current model which they should have been able to do easily by ditching the optics.

Chris

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
The new X1:

Perhaps the 1.5W Nichia Jupiter LED that was used in the original River Rock lanterns? That'd be pretty sweet if it's even half as bright as the lantern.

Edit - never mind. Obviously the Luxeon emitter used probably won't be sourced from Nichia.

ohgeez.gif

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
cslinger said:
I would have rather seen them go in the other direction. 1 cell but shorter then the current model which they should have been able to do easily by ditching the optics.

I cannot imagine Inova making a shorter T1. These lights are made for real world use by law enforcement type people, and I can't imagine a Fenix P1 sized light see the that kind of duty.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
Matt

When you stated that the new X1 is twice as bright as the old one do you have any way of measuring or quantifying this into say lumens or some other measure? Thanks for the consideration in this.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some answers:

Yes, it's 2 cells now - the size is the same and the second cell was added to maintain runtime as it's now much brighter and using more power.

I didn't ask but I assume the X1's will continue to be available in blue and green - red's never been available. The UV model is, I believe continuing unchanged. I wouldn't hold my breath for amber or teal X1's.

I didn't measure or test anything with anything but my own calibrated eyeballs. :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Some answers:
...- red's never been available.

:touche:
Never been a red X1? au contraire...
http://www.inovalight.com/pdf/X1-manual.pdf

Now of course this is Inova we're talking about... horribly outdated website and not a single person in the entire company seems to have a clue about thier own products... but still, there once was a red X1, and I'd pay to have one. Yet another dumb Inova blunder. Perhaps Microsoft should buy them out. :ohgeez:

Latest posts