INTRODUCING: a new GATLIGHT RUN....

dangorange

Newly Enlightened
Cool, is there any news on the extra drivers for the V2 model? Also, Walter, I still need to try to do something about the knob on my V2 ti.

roga

Newly Enlightened
I just received the shipping notice for my Gatlight today. It has left the warehouse on the 1st August. :grin2:
Perfect timing from Walter - the 1st August is the Swiss National Holiday. :party:

blingker

Newly Enlightened
Yes! I have recieved mine today...SN 355
Thanks Walter for all the effort in making this purchase materialise and DHL delivery was done professionally. It took only 4 days for the v3 to arrive from Ohio to Malaysia

One question: Can the v3 take rechargeable batteries (3.6V)?

Thanks again Walter
Bye

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes! I have recieved mine today...SN 355
Thanks Walter for all the effort in making this purchase materialise and DHL delivery was done professionally. It took only 4 days for the v3 to arrive from Ohio to Malaysia

One question: Can the v3 take rechargeable batteries (3.6V)?

Thanks again Walter
Bye

Did you get a shipping notice prior to delivery? Walter has the specs for the v3 on his web site.

Bill

Welcome to CPF. Click on Walter's user name in this thread and you should be able to see a link to his web site.

Bill

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it can take rechargeables...One thing to note though would be that with the nice bin that these leds are, you may want to limit the max brightness mode as it may shorten the lifespan of the led.

roga

Newly Enlightened
I received my Gatlight today. The shipping by DHL was really fast. Only four days to Switzerland.

Thank you, Walter, and all the people at Lumencraft for this wonderful, fantastic flashlight.:clap:
I will use it as my new EDC light.

roga

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You guys overseas are doing well. I just received my shipping notice.

Bill

Gatlight originates in California, and is shipped to Ohio, then is shipped out to customers. Interesting. I must have this wrong.

Bill

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

You have it right. Walter mentioned he sent ~ half the orders to the warehouse in the first batch, then the rest a few days latter.

I also got my shipping notice today:party:. I think it's just we were in the second batch.

Steve

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks Steve L. I was charged CA sales tax, and the light is shipped from CA to Ohio, and sent by ground back to CA.

Bill

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small host of questions, if I may?

The Bar grade change mentioned in the first post? What grade are they now?

Can we request a dark BB finish for all of the Ti parts?

Are these sold out?

For those of us who like the other knob design? Do you have any left?

How low can you dial this down to? Titan "low"?

Do you have a matching CF or Ti pocket clip planned?

blingker

Newly Enlightened
one question guys...how to attach photos directly here?...instead of url link to photos..thanks

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys...sorry it took a while before I could reply here... but now things are a bit better... all the ordered lights have shipped so thats good.

To your questions

Can it take rechargeables? Well the first thing with this run is that since we got very efficient low Vf LEDs, there is even an overdrive mode with regular 123s. To the rechargeable question, yes it can take rechargeables, however please read our FAQ on our website regarding that. And one thing that is special to this run is that the overdrive mode with the rechargeables is even more pronounced so you really don't want to run it too long at max... just turn it down a notch and you are fine. Also only use protected batteries and don't run'em down all the way or the life of your cells will be greatly reduced.

Blingker: wow 4 days from US to Malaysia.. thats pretty good.
Also Blingker got a GatLIght Titanium not a V3... the product code is still the same as we had for the V3 (simplified things since a lot ordered V3 as a result of the popular mechanics article and instead they got a GatLight Titanium.. but all the lights we ship/got shipped are the updates version).

Roga: Hi there, nice to see some fellow Swiss...I'll actually will be back there pretty soon...

how to post images: Yes please show'em to us... just go to imageshack.us you can upload it there, then when you click the image symbol here in cpf just enter the link to the thumbnail.

Shipping: I know the lights are built in CA, then shipped to Ohio, then shipped to you. It does not make much sense but it's simply the fastest and most economical ways for us. First all units we have done ship the same day, if we package ship it ourselves it takes 3-4 days. Also any returns, lost, are handled automatically, with the shipping company having more leverage. We've tried to find a company here but most shipping companies don't want to do international - lots of paperwork. Thats why we go through Ohio for shipping.

Regarding Sales Tax Charges: It is charged wherever our company is located which is CA. Ohio is the external company we hire to do the packaging, shipping, handling etc. which is why that does not count. Also if Ohio wouuld be our location it would simply mean Ohio and CA would pay sales tax. IF you have an out of state (CA) shipping we can avoid it.. but otherwise its just the way it is - sorry.

Bar grade: bar is grade 2 titanium - reason we get a better finish and the aerospace company doing this for us is not refusing to do more - with grade 5, they either have to charge us a whole lot more (which with 12 bars would be $100 higher retail price) or they won't do it.. if you compare a V3 (with grade 5 bars) and this run.. the finish of the bars here is A LOT better. With the grade 5 bars we had a lot of issues... one was that the alloy made it very hard to tab the holes on each side for the screws - and we basically can't find someone who would do it again like I mentioned - we can always find someone to do it once..but reliability and a business relationship that is win win for us and the mfg is important to us. Looking at the result it was the right choice.

Dark BB finish: Well it can not be requested since the lights are built. However the lights are built that they can be rather easily disassembled. If you want to go for it we'd support you with it, so if you end up having an issue we'd fix it/help you, just because I am curious what that would look like...

Are these sold out?
No not yet, about half the run a bit more is sold out. We might have a few magazines write about it in which case they will be gone rather fast. Right now if you order one it will ship the same day or a day later. Also this run is rather unique with the LEDs we got... basically top bin code for brightness, collor tint and efficiency - an mfg can only pick 2 bins and pay extra, we were lucke to get a top bin also for efficiency.

Any other knobs left? Yes if you order the light it will ship from ohio, then just send me back the knob on your light and I'll send you a V3 knob at the same time. However note that the thread won't be gold plated, it would be the sintered bronze knob.

How low can you dial it down?
Well I don't know the titan low, the lowest level I think is a low level that is still useful. At night when I get up, I always just use the lowest level... you can still see things, not very good but its usefull light. You get about 250+h at the lowest level with one 123 batery.. so its about 250 times less bright then the highest level... (remember thought that intensity scales exponentially).

Matching CF/Ti pocket clip: Good idea... we have been thinking about it. However it would have to be as cool/unique like the light itself.. we haven't come up with an idea yet. However each light ships with a simple holster - the reason for putting it in for us was more to cushion the light for transport... but I agree a real high end holster, clip would be awesome. We'll give it some though.

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
I had insomnia last night and was looking through an old Popular Mechanics magazine. There was the Gatlight TI. I figured it must be fate.

I placed my order today!

This light sounds AWESOME!

Thank you for making this Work Of Art !!!

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys will really enjoy the brightness of this bin of leds. Slightly cool, but worth it for the brightness.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah this round is unique.... compared to a V3... its quite a brightness increase... But don't count on it.... that's only for the units we have left in stock.. I doubt it that for future runs we get the high efficiency (low Vf) LEDs again.. meaning likely also no overdrive mode with regular batteries...

Also we're very happy with the quality of this run... Anyway and as usual... I check cpf pm's once a week.. so for faster reply use the contact form on our website....

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
Got Her!

I opted for the ground shipping and it was shipped on Friday. Today is Monday and she arrived at noon!

SN: D-397

This light does not dissapoint. It is everything I expected for the money and more. Flawless workmanship. Fit and finish are spectacular. Solid as a rock.

I am thrilled that the low setting is lower than the lowest setting on my Novatac 120P. That is awesome.

Thanks again for a stunning piece of engineering.

:grin2:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for your comments.. glad you like the light...

By the way we've got a question from someone wondering whether the excessive play in the knob is a defec...

Just to clarify... it actually is the momentary dim feature of the light and done that way purposely, after quite a few people liked it in the V3. Also it takes a solid push on the knob (the rim) (not the switch) and the light will momentarily dim down. That feature is being valued especially by cops, bouncers who want full brightness to look at someone's body/to search but want the light momentarily dim to look into someone's face without blinding them. Also this feature requires a strong enough push so it is not activated accidentally or when the light is standing on its back.

So that knob in the back is very versatile, momentary dim, momentary on, permanent on, and variable brightness...

mtmichigan

Newly Enlightened
I received #D-482 two weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it. The biggest surprise for me is the performance. The brightness is outstanding for a 1-watt (?) LED powered by a single 123A cell. The color is also much whiter than I had expected. My only LED flashlight has been my trusty Streamlight TL-3 LED, which suddenly looks weak and yellow and very inefficient.

My Gatlight will be used nightly year-round on dog walks through woods and fields, hiking up and down hills and along the beach, in snow and rain. It won't be pampered, and from the looks of the Gatlight it won't need to be.

One question Walter: When my Gatlight eventually gets enough dirt and lint and dust on it to warrant cleaning, what would you recommend? Flowing water seems a must, but I assume high pressure as from a garden hose nozzle isn't a good idea. Adhesives/laquer/sealants probably don't like hot dishwashers either, I'm guessing?

Thanks for any help, and congrats on a fine flashlight.