Introducing "Le Beau"

elfen1

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see what it does since I've never seen an HID yet only LED so include me in the pass-a-round and maybe I'll reverse engineer it and sell it to the CIA or better yet the General Accounting Office!!!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't expect too much in the way of updates or progress reports from Jonathan. He's going to be spending most of his free time with his new flashaholic buddy.

I don't know how many pounds, but I understand the delivery went fine.

I think Jonathan's going to be spending time looking for a bigger house. So, between spending time with the new family member and looking for a larger abode, I don't think he will have much time left for flashlight developement for a while..

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, you're 50% right!

It's amazing how 7.2lbs Julia to more priority than anything in the world, including 2.7lbs Le Beau or 0.19oz (0.5.4 grams) Draco. :eeksign:

It's kinda ironic, I have more time to surf the web (CPF included) than ever before yet no time (2-4hrs break) to head into the shop. With Julia in one hand while the other hand poking at the keyboard and touchpad :D

Le Beau is pretty much ready for assembly. All the parts for the three units are sitting in the living room. I think Andrew (18m son) been playing with it more than his dad :hairpull: :whoopin:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Modamag,

Congrats on the new (future flashaholic?) family member too! :wave: :thumbsup:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Jonathan,

I heartily second the congratulations on Julia's arrival. I had heard through Andrew Rouse of the good news and wish you all the best.

That said, I have to vent a little. I'm absolutely flabbergasted, stupified, stunned, and floored by this creation of yours. Not only that but that it was sitting here in this thread that had escaped my attention for all this time.

It has been a dream of mine for a LONG time now, since flashaholic roots really took hold this past year, to see an HID setup of the size, power, and weight that you have already designed. I had extremely high hopes for the Fivemega prototype and was literaly crushed when I heard it was stillborn. I've gotten jaded with LEDs (almost ill with $300 Lux III lights), enticed and disappointed with incans (but AWR's giving incan massive enthusiasm for me), and pined after a quality custom HID.

Your design is the missing link, EXACTLY what I have been searching for. And an aesthetic knockout. I never thought a handheld HID (having to swallow a bulky ballast assy) could have beautiful lines, but you have indeed pulled it off. Not to mention my favorite power source as well! Stem to stern it is what I have dreamt of.

Huge congrats for having the creativity, insight, and talent to design and materialize this work of art. I can only hope the passaround has a stop in Hawaii and I might be considered to be a part. If you ever change your mind and build a few (or one) more: I would almost write a blank check for a design like yours. I'm trying to group the talent to help me put together a 25W/50W D2S design with a 3.5" head for myself. I can appreciate the trials you must have endured integrating everything into a relatively compact (and gorgeous) package. All I can say further is....:wow::goodjob:

All the best to you and your new expanded family!

Steve

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan, if you build it they will come. I will gladly pay for one of these. Paypal ready if you are.

Curtis

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
cue003 said:
Jonathan, if you build it they will come. I will gladly pay for one of these. Paypal ready if you are.

Curtis

Well said, Curtis. I feel the same way. This light is my dream manifest in aluminum. I would not flinch at the cost, not a bit. :huh:

I have been poised to spend about a G note anyhow on a Rayzor pending reviews, so a limited market can bear that level and beyond easily.

I was already WOWed by your 8AA>2D adapter for my MagHID but this is SO next level. Obviously you have some real gifts and applied them here. ;)

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I think the cost would be in the $2500+ range.

Surefires Beast, built in larger quantity and with fewer options cost $3000!!

Even if Jonathan made nothing on them, I think they would be more than $2000!

Bill

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Jonathan has decided to eat the cost. He has a deal worked out with Cracker Jack to put them in the boxes as prizes :crackup:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I'm physically ill from ingesting 31 boxes of Cracker Jacks so far and have only succeeded in learning to hate roasted peanuts! I now have an impressive collection of plastic decoder rings but still no LeBeau in the box as of yet...

Jim I hope you are mistaken ;)