is anyone future proofing against 'too-powerful' lights?

mickb

Enlightened
I bought what I thought was a simple headlamp option for my mother HL-23 fenix. Found the house blacked out when I visited tonight due to storms. She was sitting happily in the lounge room, reading a book, with the HL23 on high setting aka 150 lumens! Damn near blinded me when she looked up as I came in the room. I had told her a couple of times there are lower settings, she said this time she forgot and just turned it on and used it( goes to high right away). Also had to remind her to unscrew the cap to prevent parasitic drain. This is a basic go-to light option by flashaholic standards... but it clear its not family, or at least aged member friendly. So now I am hunting for lower lumen, single mode high IPX rated, non draining headlamp....how far back am I going for this one 2011, 2012, 2013?

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I bought what I thought was a simple headlamp option for my mother HL-23 fenix. Found the house blacked out when I visited tonight due to storms. She was sitting happily in the lounge room, reading a book, with the HL23 on high setting aka 150 lumens! Damn near blinded me when she looked up as I came in the room. I had told her a couple of times there are lower settings, she said this time she forgot and just turned it on and used it( goes to high right away). Also had to remind her to unscrew the cap to prevent parasitic drain. This is a basic go-to light option by flashaholic standards... but it clear its not family, or at least aged member friendly. So now I am hunting for lower lumen, single mode high IPX rated, non draining headlamp....how far back am I going for this one 2011, 2012, 2013?

get her an H1R neutral white. Great tint and memory means it can come on in the 2 lumen mode and it's perfect for reading. It will run forever on 2 lumens per charge. No need to loosen the tail cap, the battery don't discharge itself much at all. Just slap it on the magnetic charger a couple times a year to top it off for her.

terjee

Enlightened
Which lights do you personally find to be "trustable?" Something simple like an E01?

No hard criteria really, more a combination of reading other peoples experience, experiencing few or no issues over time myself, despite accidental abuse, combined with a highly unscientific gut feeling. I don't at all need them to be simple from an electrical perspective, more circuits can hurt, but also help. Temperature protection for example, is both adding complexity and reliability. Could compromise reliability as well, so it serves as a useful example of why it boils down to gut feeling at some point.

I really liked the EagleTac D25LC2 clickie initially, and it's performed flawlessly and reliably for both my kid and me, but I eventually failed it as a primary because the twist for mode-group selection turned out to be an obstacle to effortlessly getting it to do what I wanted.

After getting used to Zebralights, I think I'd fail any light without a low low.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not just about reliability in terms of "not die", but in an expanded sense of the words, including "reliably do what I need it to".

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my perfect light would be a single 18650 with nichia 219 5000k high cri with a simple 2 button control.
up down only.
starting at a barely detectable glow with a smooth step free ramp up to full output.
no blinkies or hidden ok.
and no nasty pwm.
remember there is no such thing as a too bright flashlight.
just a poor ui.
make it start from either end of the ramp depending on which button you push and easy to feel the buttons for dark startup by feel so you dont get blasted while dark adapted.

ven

Flashaholic
I class these lights as future proof, most have been around for a decade or so anyway. The hosts imo are timeless, the engines(p60's) can be upgraded or ran on incand.............choices are almost endless. Single mode, 2 mode..............any amount of modes! 1 LED, 4 LED's................different flavours of.
SLGfvG0l.jpg

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc AAA (Yuji mod) incoming tomorrow :twothumbs

I hope you're enjoying it. In addition to...you know...using them for lighting purposes, I still can't resist just playing with my Yuji-modded lights from time-to-time for how clean and cozy the beam is. And the 1 x AAA format is perfect for it.

Regrettably, the Sunwayman R01a I swapped a Yuji is not working after taking a two falls from a ~5' onto a hard floor (I got over confident after it survived the first fall). It's clearly no E01 replacement. I need to open it up again to see if I can figure it out.

Of all my lights, my 95+CRI Yuji modded Maglite 2AAA single mode twisty gets the most use....and it is less than 10L...cost to me was less than $8.

You inspired me to the do the same with a Maglite 2AA. I know it will dim quite a bit as the batteries drain, but it's such a light load it will run a long time before that happens. I didn't think this mod would work as well as it does.

I wasn't feeling great last night. I wanted to relax and go to bed early. I know some people like to take a bath by candlelight when they feel like that.

I instead took a shower by Yuji light, with the Maglite standing in the corner.

If there's ever another Yuji 5mm group buy, I think I will need to future proof against the possibility of them going out of production.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh yes. Flashlight showers. One of my favorite past times. Having had an arc Yuji mod and an E01s with the Vihn warm Nichia I can say they're very similar but the Yuji was a cleaner beam for sure. The e01 tailstands which makes it a perfect flashlight shower companion. If E01s were ever discontinued I'd buy a load of em'.
I hope you're enjoying it. In addition to...you know...using them for lighting purposes, I still can't resist just playing with my Yuji-modded lights from time-to-time for how clean and cozy the beam is. And the 1 x AAA format is perfect for it.

Regrettably, the Sunwayman R01a I swapped a Yuji is not working after taking a two falls from a ~5' onto a hard floor (I got over confident after it survived the first fall). It's clearly no E01 replacement. I need to open it up again to see if I can figure it out.

You inspired me to the do the same with a Maglite 2AA. I know it will dim quite a bit as the batteries drain, but it's such a light load it will run a long time before that happens. I didn't think this mod would work as well as it does.

I wasn't feeling great last night. I wanted to relax and go to bed early. I know some people like to take a bath by candlelight when they feel like that.

I instead took a shower by Yuji light, with the Maglite standing in the corner.

If there's ever another Yuji 5mm group buy, I think I will need to future proof against the possibility of them going out of production.

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened

I have the nasty feeling they may already be on the way out. If you look at the Yuji web store, you can't get 5600K in either emission angle. 3200K are available in both emission angles (45° and 60°), but you now have to buy a much larger pack of 1000, so it looks like they're trying to offload them.

That sometimes means a company is discontinuing a line, especially in the absence of any indication that a new and improved version might be on the way. I really hope I'm wrong, though!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I class these lights as future proof, most have been around for a decade or so anyway. The hosts imo are timeless, the engines(p60's) can be upgraded or ran on incand.............choices are almost endless. Single mode, 2 mode..............any amount of modes! 1 LED, 4 LED's................different flavours of.

+1 on the incand compatibility. just what I did, refer to my post #35 on the previous page... but i concur yours are the exotic ones. :candle:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the nasty feeling they may already be on the way out. If you look at the Yuji web store, you can't get 5600K in either emission angle. 3200K are available in both emission angles (45° and 60°), but you now have to buy a much larger pack of 1000, so it looks like they're trying to offload them.

That sometimes means a company is discontinuing a line, especially in the absence of any indication that a new and improved version might be on the way. I really hope I'm wrong, though!

I'm thinking seriously about ordering 1000 of the 3200k 45 degree Yuji when 130$ + shipping is feasible, it'll be broadcast for group buy ins when/If I do.

If I learn that I can get a more modern high CRI warm led that's as efficient or more efficient at single and double mA levels then I'll go with a few of them instead.
My understanding at current level of ignorance though is that newer, better leds aren't any better at these very low power levels.

Last edited:

mickb

Enlightened
get her an H1R neutral white. Great tint and memory means it can come on in the 2 lumen mode and it's perfect for reading. It will run forever on 2 lumens per charge. No need to loosen the tail cap, the battery don't discharge itself much at all. Just slap it on the magnetic charger a couple times a year to top it off for her.

Honestly thanks, but I am trying to go simpler than a HL-23 for an aged user and youve recommended a 600 Lumen headlamp with 7 levels and functions :D.

mickb

Enlightened
SLGfvG0l.jpg

Love the collection!

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Honestly thanks, but I am trying to go simpler than a HL-23 for an aged user and youve recommended a 600 Lumen headlamp with 7 levels and functions :D.

The hl-23 comes on in high mode and has no memory. The H1R has memory for moon light. It don't get much easier than that. No need to even remove the battery to recharge or change it. Even easier.

I bet she drives a 1998 crown Vic with power locks, windows, mirrors, seats and so on. If anyone can't figure out long press to 2 lumens and has an issue with the memorized 2 lumens, they will need to have someone there to operate it for them :p

You're too busy thinking outside the box to realize what's in the box, olight has the easiest to use UI. The tint and beam are amazing on the H1R neutral white.

I also use a Bushnell H65L that uses a single aaa battery. It won't get any more simple than that. I would also recommend it.

ven

Flashaholic
Love the collection!

Thank you mick, i have a few more dotted around(work and some just not in pic) but still a small collection compared to many here. The thing i love about the surefire hosts , solid, USA made and timeless imo. Being p60, they can be upgraded by simply swapping the p60! You can have 60lm incand, 3000lm quads or xhp70................and anything in between, throw bias, flood or a mix of both. The hosts will last forever...........most of the p60's will to! But if it does fail, its not a full light potentially lost...........just the engine.

mickb

Enlightened
The hl-23 comes on in high mode and has no memory. The H1R has memory for moon light. It don’t get much easier than that. No need to even remove the battery to recharge or change it. Even easier.

I bet she drives a 1998 crown Vic with power locks, windows, mirrors, seats and so on. If anyone can’t figure out long press to 2 lumens and has an issue with the memorized 2 lumens, they will need to have someone there to operate it for them :p

You’re too busy thinking outside the box to realize what’s in the box, olight has the easiest to use UI. The tint and beam are amazing on the H1R neutral white.

I also use a Bushnell H65L that uses a single aaa battery. It won’t get any more simple than that. I would also recommend it.

The issue with the H1R is too many power levels , with the top ones depleting the batts quickly. She ramps too high for other tasks and leaves it there, she's in the dark an hour or so into the blackout. She may even try and use 2 lumens for everything because she will be clicking the light on and off when I assume its hold down to advance modes. Also its a new battery size I'd have to get her to store, and USB charging as an option? No offence as you obviously like the light for yourself but its about as complex and uneccessary a light I can think of for her situation. As you say she's been driving for 50 years, but old country folk sometimes have no interest in new tech. I am aiming for 1-2 modes, low lumen max, if she chooses wrong, she has hours of lighting....and won't start lighting candles.

terjee

Enlightened
The issue with the H1R is too many power levels , with the top ones depleting the batts quickly. She ramps too high for other tasks and leaves it there, she's in the dark an hour or so into the blackout. She may even try and use 2 lumens for everything because she will be clicking the light on and off when I assume its hold down to advance modes. Also its a new battery size I'd have to get her to store, and USB charging as an option? No offence as you obviously like the light for yourself but its about as complex and uneccessary a light I can think of for her situation. As you say she's been driving for 50 years, but old country folk sometimes have no interest in new tech. I am aiming for 1-2 modes, low lumen max, if she chooses wrong, she has hours of lighting....and won't start lighting candles.

I'm curious how the new Zebralights UI would be for such users. All the modes are programmable, so it would be easier to set up with a selection of good tradeoffs, ranging from low to lower basically. Click on to get a decent runtime/lumen balance, hold on to go directly to another lower mode, but both offering long runtimes.

Note; I'm asking, not suggesting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mick,

I'll try to mention something seasoned folks can easily figure out and keep this train on the same track....

Maglite products. Easy to find, easy to use and still built to last a good long time. Many-a Mag has been destroyed by leaking batteries. But Rayovac batteries are really good at not leaking. I have various sizes in all kinds of lights stored indoors, in cars, in my home and office with ZERO leaks in 3 years. None.

Maglite products are not quite as popular as they once were but still some of the easiest lights to figure out. Past, present and future Maglite products have 2 things in mind.. simplicity and reliability.

We flashlight fanatics knock 'em around a whole lot but to the casual user they are tough to beat. You can get her an incan 2D for $20, swap out the bulb with a nite ize LED for about $7 and an 8 pack of Ravovacs for about $7 will get her through several nights without power.

Now those little Energizer headlamps are also quite the value. I work construction and see them all over the place night after night month after month. Again some Rayovac triple A cells can be left in the light without worry. The workers get 2-3 nights of use per cell swap. That is 10-12 hour shifts. They dim as the battery depletes so when it's too dim you just swap out the batteries.
Keep it simple bro.

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
With age comes degraded vision. Just because YOU want to use the lowest setting possible doesn't mean SHE can use that same setting comfortably. If she likes the light(s) she has now, then let her use the lumen level that gives her the amount of light she needs. If you're worried she's going to start lighting candles when the batteries run out, then buy her more batteries. Problem solved and all without forcing her to use whatever lumen level or UI you have determined is best for her.