is anyone future proofing against 'too-powerful' lights?

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
The issue with the H1R is too many power levels , with the top ones depleting the batts quickly. She ramps too high for other tasks and leaves it there, she's in the dark an hour or so into the blackout. She may even try and use 2 lumens for everything because she will be clicking the light on and off when I assume its hold down to advance modes. Also its a new battery size I'd have to get her to store, and USB charging as an option? No offence as you obviously like the light for yourself but its about as complex and uneccessary a light I can think of for her situation. As you say she's been driving for 50 years, but old country folk sometimes have no interest in new tech. I am aiming for 1-2 modes, low lumen max, if she chooses wrong, she has hours of lighting....and won't start lighting candles.

I also have a Bushnell pro rechargeable lantern. It will light a full room brightly if needed. I mostly use it on one side dimmed down. When we go on camping trips it will go four days of constant hours on end use before I hook it up to a solar panel to charge. It also stores a long time fully charged and ready to use. It would be a much better option than any flashlight or headlamp. I can also charge my phone with it because it has an outgoing USB. I will from time to time charge the S1R or H1R with it.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

We would need to figure out how to make use of them first, in case they don't work on an XP solder pad.

I also have been eying the much larger 135L series 1000 lumen COB's. I've almost got the necessary components to build a viable light out of them figured out.

If you want to discuss Yuji's more, maybe we should do that in one of the existing Yuji group buy threads, rather than interrupt the future proofing discussion further.

Regardless, if you do take the leap with the 5mm's, I should be in for a handful.

mickb

Enlightened
With age comes degraded vision. Just because YOU want to use the lowest setting possible doesn't mean SHE can use that same setting comfortably. If she likes the light(s) she has now, then let her use the lumen level that gives her the amount of light she needs. If you're worried she's going to start lighting candles when the batteries run out, then buy her more batteries. Problem solved and all without forcing her to use whatever lumen level or UI you have determined is best for her.

Your making assumptions about her vision, which is better than mine. And as to lumens levels she is not much interested in any of them, or keeping batteries being the problem, which is why I am making it as simple as possible. Not sure if you have any old folk living alone, but simplfying options is part of a list of things to make their lives easier.How about we get the thread back on track.

mickb

Enlightened
Mick,

I'll try to mention something seasoned folks can easily figure out and keep this train on the same track....

Maglite products. Easy to find, easy to use and still built to last a good long time. Many-a Mag has been destroyed by leaking batteries. But Rayovac batteries are really good at not leaking. I have various sizes in all kinds of lights stored indoors, in cars, in my home and office with ZERO leaks in 3 years. None.

Maglite products are not quite as popular as they once were but still some of the easiest lights to figure out. Past, present and future Maglite products have 2 things in mind.. simplicity and reliability.

We flashlight fanatics knock 'em around a whole lot but to the casual user they are tough to beat. You can get her an incan 2D for $20, swap out the bulb with a nite ize LED for about $7 and an 8 pack of Ravovacs for about $7 will get her through several nights without power.

Now those little Energizer headlamps are also quite the value. I work construction and see them all over the place night after night month after month. Again some Rayovac triple A cells can be left in the light without worry. The workers get 2-3 nights of use per cell swap. That is 10-12 hour shifts. They dim as the battery depletes so when it's too dim you just swap out the batteries.
Keep it simple bro.

Thanks bykfixer, excellent suggestions. I had one of the little headlamps myself ages ago. And maglites, they are probably still using a switch with 1-2 levels, right? I will check them out. Also thanks for the rescue , I was starting to regret bringing it up now, but I hijacked my own thread, so no one else to blame.:D

mickb

Enlightened
It would be a much better option than any flashlight or headlamp. I can also charge my phone with it because it has an outgoing USB. I will from time to time charge the S1R or H1R with it.
yes aware of the benefits of lanterns. She already has one. Headlamp is for backup, its better to EDC, take walking the boundary, around the house, the dog kennels, to the bathroom, to the car, aka what we use headlamps for, but lets not get into a headlamp vs handheld debate next, there's another forum to do that :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks bykfixer, excellent suggestions. I had one of the little headlamps myself ages ago. And maglites, they are probably still using a switch with 1-2 levels, right? I will check them out. Also thanks for the rescue , I was starting to regret bringing it up now, but I hijacked my own thread, so no one else to blame.:D

An incan 2D is future proof... see, still on track...
They come with a bi-pin bulb module that's easy to replace and readily available but... that was the past with its pleasant beam tint yet sucky runtimes... but with a nite ize drop in she'll get more output with way more runtime. They have 2 settings.. on and off. lol.

Now they also have those newfangled LED models with settings. Quick clicks get you high, medium and low. T'won't take her no time to get the hang of it. The ML50 comes in 2C or 3C. Both will easily light what you mentioned earlier on high. Medium in both is about 100 lumens with like a dozen hours of runtime. Low (or what Mag calls "eco" is about 20 lumens and stated to last like 15 days.
And for the geek in you, there is the ability to change settings around some. But for her factory is ideal. Changing settings has to be done on purpose. It's like you have to push this, twist that and hold your left leg just right or something... so she won't be able to accidently change things around.

About $35 at big box stores. (Plus Rayovacs) If she don't mind a mini mag size, the price of ultimate lithiums is dropping to half price or less. 10 year storage life... which is future proofing for the next decade anyway.

I just future proofed my favorite Laser Products 6P with a Malkoff NLL drop in to go with the Malkoff McClicky tail stander tail cap. Like a P60 with a nice bright fresh battery beam for at least 10 hours...

Last edited:

BloodLust

Enlightened
Yes. Which is why I still EDC a Fenix LD10 R5. 3 lumens low, 12 lumens med, 45 lumens high, 100 lumens turbo.
Fully tightened, starts at turbo. Slightly loosened, starts on low. Predictable every time I turn it on.
It's my favorite UI which started out with my Fenix P2D-CE and before they started doing side switches.

Added a 100 lumen stainless Nichia219 light to my EDC. UI is just L-M-H.

Light in my hand carry for airline travel is a Fenix E12.

Will be picking up some Malkoff P60 drop ins for my G2 and some hosts.

1pt21

Enlightened
I'm also interested in the mod.

Same here please. Thank you!

It's basically this:

- SLOWLY open up the OEM reflector enough to allow the LED to pass through
- Trim the legs on the LED to approx the same length as the OEM bi-pin bulb
- Slightly bend the legs of the LED to match the OEM bulb pin spacing
- If LED does not light, rotate 180* and re-insert

Easy as pie. Now the hard part: actually acquiring said LED's, good luck as I searched high and low. Also mentioned in this thread that they now may be unobtainium :shrug:

wjv

Enlightened
I have several lights that top out around a 100 lumen or so, or have a wide set of mode choices on the lower end.

- Terralux - LightStar-80 High CRI
- Sunwayman - R01A
- Fenix - LD10
- L3 Illimination - L10
- Spark - SG5 (can go to 280L, but the other 4 modes are 110L or less)
- EagleTac - D25A
- EagleTac - TX25C (3 of the 5 modes are 130L or less)

And a few others.

While it's nice having a light with 3,200 lumen OTF, reality is that most tasks are best suited for a light that runs 150L or less. Yes there are exceptions to that. On my multi-mode 18650 or CR123 lights, I probably use the 150 lumen or less modes 10x more than the 500L+ modes