**Is the $250 price for the Arc 5 too expensive?**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Re: **Is the $250 price for the Arc 5 too expensiv

[ QUOTE ]
rocketmaninphx said:
This is interesting in that 300+ folks are heading to get a LionHeart for $230.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe a LH only costs $175.

Now if you want the Pila + Charger then the cost is $230ish.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Way too expensive. Arc's offerings topped out at the lsh with twist pak. An edc light is no good if it is not carried with you all the time. This can be caused by forgetfulness, too big to carry, too expensive to buy.

I'll go further than this to say that ANY light in that price range better NOT be led. That's why I sold my lsh.... no throw, no color rendition. Even the led lights that do have "some" throw and better color temp do not cast razor sharp shadows like an incan.

Back to arc for a minute. For $200 or so an led light I would buy had better have a nice simple twist knob for brightness (ala U2).

Kiessling

Flashaholic

yes, the interface is the main problem here IMHO. this was the point where Arc lost me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I really hope to see an Arc with a reasonable interface again in the future ...

but to be fair, given the technology level and quality of those lights $250 may be justified, even if I personally don't like it.

bernhard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends. Its priced slightly less than the Sirefire U2 and is smaller. But, its also less powerful than the U2. At this point, I'll wait and see the specs before I decide if I want to spend $250 on a overly complex flashlight.

The thing that turns me on about the U2 is that its much simpler, just turn the dial and it changes levels. If the Arc 5 is like the Arc 4 with a billion options in the menu functions that I'll never use or never care to use, I might be better off using the U2 for a brightness setting flashlight in 5 watt.

Arc makes great products no doubt, but there is a nice thing about simplicity that the Arc 4/ Arc 5 lack (which the Surefire Lumamax series DOES have). The more extra WOW features that are added, the more that can go wrong (more potential bugs in the software). Plus, just accessing the rare functions one does use in the menu setting can be aggravating when the list is over 10 functions long.

If I really need a smaller light with these brightness adjustment features I can grab the much less expensive 1 watt Arc 4s+ ($180), or Surefire L1s ($125).

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whats a good guess as to runtime of the Arc 5?

Edited: hey, I see I'm now a high-class CPF supporter just because I engaged in the self-indulgent act of trying to win a raffle. Not bad!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

nonbox, at this point in time, I think it's an unfair question. I'm also finding some of these responses to be........... well, interesting I guess is the word I'll use. Some folks are comparing this light which hasn't been released yet, to other lights that have not yet been released. I don't understand how that comparision can be made.

It is worth the price? Sure it is to some. To others it is not. Ask your neighbor to purchase a SureFire for $150.00 or a custom light for $300.00 and he'll tell you you're nuts. Just as those lights are not "worth" it to him, some will find the Arc5 not worth it to them.

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
nonbox, at this point in time, I think it's an unfair question. I'm also finding some of these responses to be........... well, interesting I guess is the word I'll use. Some folks are comparing this light which hasn't been released yet, to other lights that have not yet been released. I don't understand how that comparision can be made.

It is worth the price? Sure it is to some. To others it is not. Ask your neighbor to purchase a SureFire for $150.00 or a custom light for $300.00 and he'll tell you you're nuts. Just as those lights are not "worth" it to him, some will find the Arc5 not worth it to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with some of this. However, the thread might better be called "is arc5 worth buying at any price?".

Take the eternalight. Great light, unique light. He uses 3 buttons to control less functions than the arc4. If I wasn't getting away from led lights in general I would buy an elitemax in a heartbeat.

shannow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
[ QUOTE ]
shannow said:
Is a ferrari too expensive? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of them, yes. But that doesnt fit the same context.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the Ferrari's are not too expensive. They are specifically made, for a select few, who have the money and want to buy one. Same as the Arc5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif
But enough about ferrari's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
shannow said:
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
[ QUOTE ]
shannow said:
Is a ferrari too expensive? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of them, yes. But that doesnt fit the same context.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the Ferrari's are not too expensive. They are specifically made, for a select few, who have the money and want to buy one. Same as the Arc5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif
But enough about ferrari's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Too expensive? What does that even mean?

Is it out of someone's budget? Maybe or maybe not.

Is it overpriced for what it took to make it? Likely.

Is it priced that way to make an apparent value? Yes.

To someone who makes minimum wage, a free ferrari isn't as good as a honda or a ford. Why? They can't afford the insurance, fuel, luxury taxes, gas guzzler taxes, tag, and other surcharges.

It it fast? Yes, but there are other good sports cars that are the same or better in the performance dept for a lower cost. Lots lower.

Why does a surefire a2 cost ~$180? Because the mfg is in CA and have lost their mind. What is actual production cost on an a2? I would LOVE to know. Why are their lamps so very expensive? Same reasons I guess. Any decent mfg can get surefire-spec lamps built and sold for a lot less than what SF charges. I would love to see some aftermarket SF lamps.

I can't wait until someone brings SF to court over this fixed pricing.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well like i said, if they bring it in around $150 i'll buy 2. And guys, the Lionheart is $175, Its only $233 if you get the Pila charger and 2 cells with it. Will the Arc 5 come with free rechargable cells and charger?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
Well like i said, if they bring it in around $150 i'll buy 2. And guys, the Lionheart is $175, Its only $233 if you get the Pila charger and 2 cells with it. Will the Arc 5 come with free rechargable cells and charger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the Arc 5 will ever be $150, especially when the 1 watt Arc 4 is $180. However, if they can bring the Arc 5 price closer to low 200s, it will be a tad bit more tempting.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the ARC5 will have to be one whale of a light to get me to drop that kind of money and use it over my beaut ARC4+ Rev 1. I'll have to see some serious advancements in features considering that probably some pretty great programmable lights are just over the horizon (I hope). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
357 said:The more extra WOW features that are added, the more that can go wrong (more potential bugs in the software)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessarly true as it is not PC software. The 'old' version has been proofed to be trouble free, at least I'm not aware of any software related problems. And I have the impression that the majority of the code works behind the scenes. That means it actually increases relyability a lot.

And for the price: Actually I'm amused by this discussion. Solution is simple: If a product is worth the price (and you can afford it) buy it, if not leave it alone.
No company with premium products has the obligation to make the products affordable.
And to extend the Ferrari example: I'm shure, I would be slower with a Ferrari as with our current car. I'm a lousy driver.

oldtimer

Enlightened

My friends and I will certainly NOT get one if the price is over $200. I mean, look at computers and other high tech equipment.. a second generation (better model) which replaces a previous generation is priced at the first generation's release price. Most of the time, improvements in manufacturing will further reduce costs which the manufacturers usually pass on to their consumers. Personally, I would rather take my money and sponser a child from a third world country than to meddle in this teeny-bopper frivolousness.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well. I think it's all relative, I think Arc would sell far more lights if they perhapse skipped a small feature or 2 and bring the price in under $200, A manufacturer will want to sell the most units to the most ammount of people within a given demographic. Obviously Arc's demographic is a little more of the conoseur (bad spelling) of lighting than say Mag-Lite is. But with the LS, Arc4+ and all their other models they've produced lights that werent so expensive that the majority of their target community couldnt afford them. Im willing to wajor that at least 70% of the flashaholics on this site own an Arc, Not just an AA or AAA but a more expensive model like an LS or a 4+. Ive got my 4+ right here. I think the Price and features are going to have to be a delicate balencing act.

As far as references to the LionHeart and all. We're using that as a reference because as small lights go id say you'll be hard pressed to find a better one either in manufacture or features. And we know Charlie is making little if any profit at all. I'll buy a LH if i can afford one before they are all spoken for. And for sure i'll buy an Arc5 if they represent a similar feature/price ratio. Sure id pay more for an Arc5 but it had better be a better light. The hard part that i'll reenforce again is that i hope they dont make it to expensive to afford. Because for sure you cant buy one if you cant afford it period. No matter how much you want it.

iceweasel

Newly Enlightened
All the arguments about free market capitalism and "value" aside, I doubt I would pay for $250 for an Arc5. I love my two, very humble ArcAAA's. They're great lights but given what I've read about the other, dare I say, more expensive Arcs and the competition, I think an Arc5 priced above $200 is more than I would spend for it.

Of course, it could be a tour de force of design and innovation. But given Arc's history and character it would seem to be a longshot that it could compete with the plethora of excellent "homemade" custom lights for the same money.

I look forward to seeing the Arc5 but like the 4+, I'll most likely do a lot of reading and looking before even considering it.

coccolithophorid

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is the $250 price for the Arc 5 too expensive?

this_is_nascar wrote:

coccolithophorid replied:
If you gave your neighbor an Arc 4 or 5 and he used it for a few months and then lost it, he'd probably be willing to shell out the money for a new one. These things are easy to become attached to. Most people don't understand the value of a good flashlight until they've had one.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Let's say someone gave me the $250 or so this light is supposed to cost. Would I buy one then?

Not likely.

The way I see it is any light over about $50 is in the mid range of quality and features, and any light over about $125 is in the top-end. For $200 and above I expect perfection. This includes: manuals, fit and finish, usability, longevity, etc.

We have seen that arc's lights have been plagued with design and manufacturing problems. Arc aaa intermittent problem, arc ls battery crush problem, arc aaa o-ring not mating with battery tube problem, ls4 switch problem, ls4 battery length problem, more ls4 switch problems, lsx kroll switch flicker problems.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Peter and arc. I think the ls series is a good light (now) at $100 or so with a twist battery pack.

But come back to reality for a minute. We're talking ~$250 for a light! That's a LOT for ANY light. And this is coming from someone who ownes a lot of them (don't forget my minimag collection also). This is an aluminum tube with some circuitry in it.

Sakugenken

Newly Enlightened

Like any high priced collectable, the purchase price can not be justified or explained. Can I explain spending $100s for a flashlight or thousands for a knife or watch? No. And I can't understand why someone would spend such amounts for a stuffed animal or stamp. Me, I will consider the Arc 5 when the final specs are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.