Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a mount for my shotgun. Is there any flashlight under say 60 bucks that "in your opinion" would handle the abuse of being mounted on the barrel of a shotgun?

I don't get it: The following are each from separate threads that you've opened:

What is the most inexpensive light, other than Maglite that you would trust your life to? [...] every flashlight under 25 bucks you can think of
What's your honest opinion on 9 LED flashlights you find at the checkout aisle at Walmart or Home Depot?
A. Totally Worthless Junk.
B. Junk, but somethings better than nothing.
C. They're not as bad as you think.
[...]
What would you recommend for an everyday carry light for around 40 bucks, less than 50 preferably.
Which of these [budget flashlights that cost 50 bucks a piece] would you choose over a maglite?
I am looking for the following in a flashlight: [...] Around 45 dollars or less. Prefer LESS than 45 and my ideal flashlight would cost 40.
So which AA flashlight would you take for under 15 bucks? [...]
What AA cheapo China light gives the best bang for 10 to 15 bucks?

Regarding these two posts:
4/06/09
I still think I should get a Surefire for the sake of having one. Don't ask me why I need to have one.
04/13/09
I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse?
So you intend to get an expensive SF just to have one, as you have apparently decided that you don't actually need one. But one week later, you want to spend $15 on the cheapest possible flashlight to attach to a gun that you will entrust your life to?

Compare this:
I would like to mount a flashlight on my shotgun but it's very difficult to imagine spending 150 to 250 on a Surefire setup. No let me rephrase, that would be impossible.
[...]
I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse?
to this:
4/05/09
My dilemma is that I have $200 dollars worth of Budget Flashlights.

You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, but you're trying (again) to do it as cheaply as absolutely possible, like for ~$15!!!. How much is your life worth to you, and have you actually had any defense training first?

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
Fenix E01 with duct tape simple, efficent, bombproof and a beam so ugly it will make your assailent hurl.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I dont know about cheap but at least right around $100 if your good @ Ebaying. Surefire 6P original host then a Malkoff M60 or M60L (About $55 shipped if you use cpf code) and top it all off with a FM34 off Ebay for $29 shipped and now you have a thrower and a roomlight all in one and just find you a mount for the shotty(I also need to find me a mount for my 6p). And if you have a hard time finding a cheap 6P buy a solarforce L2.

Last edited:
I don't get it: The following are each from separate threads that you've opened:

Regarding these two posts:
4/06/09

04/13/09

So you intend to get an expensive SF just to have one, as you have apparently decided that you don't actually need one. But one week later, you want to spend $15 on the cheapest possible flashlight to attach to a gun that you will entrust your life to?

Compare this:

to this:
4/05/09

You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, but you're trying (again) to do it as cheaply as absolutely possible, like for ~$15!!!. How much is your life worth to you, and have you actually had any defense training first?

Kestrel,

In the last few months I have become a different poster altogether. I had been a little bit enthusiastic when I first joined this forum and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a good light. I didn't even own a premium light at the time. Since then, I understand the differences between premium and regular store lights and I have since relaxed in my posting.

You are basically digging up the past. This post was made over a month ago. I don't make posts about budget lights anymore and I certainly wouldn't attach a Maglite to my shotgun knowing what I know now. I now have a Solarforce on the end of my mossberg. It has held up very well.

And the reason you don't get it is because you are living in my past. Step into the now and let the past go. I'm sure you think yourself quite "the man" for knowing how to do a search on me. But if you actually read my newer threads as opposed to my older ones, you'd realize that I'm not even going down the "budget" route anymore and after my chat with several people on the forum including admins, I rarely make new threads at all, except to share a sentimental story or two.

Use that time machine of yours and step into the present brother. You use the search function well but if you actually look at the dates on the posts you're referencing, they are a month after this one was made. For a guy who fancies himself a "search guru" you should know that dates mean everything. Now go cut and paste somewhere else where it makes sense. Also, the dates in your quotes are wrong. I was asking for budget lights at the beginning of March, not in April as you incorrectly quoted. Since then I have $200 bucks worth of budget flashlights and 3 premiums. And in that other thread I was stating that I should have just skipped the budget lights and got 2 good surefires. To which everyone replied that this mistake happens to a lot of people in the beginning.

If you followed the dates of the threads, you wouldn't be as confused as you are now. This is an old thread. If you look at the top 50 threads, there are only 2 of my threads in the top 50 and both of them created over a month ago. All the stuff you're referencing is old news.

By the way, you sure do expend a lot of energy in trying to make somebody look bad. You ought to look into why you do that. It probably goes deeper than this forum.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
But if you actually read my newer threads as opposed to my older ones, you'd realize that I'm not even going down the "budget" route anymore. [...]
Yes, I've read your newer threads, specifically the one on evaluating what SureFires to purchase. A good thread, well organized and directed, with a lot of helpful suggestions, including a couple from me (IIRC, steering you away from the underperforming SF L2 - as I have one & could think of a couple better options for what you were looking for). For the aggregate of helpful suggestions from CPF'ers, you sent a big thank-you for, which I would imagine that folks appreciated.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188610
That has to set some kind of CPF record for an enthusiastic thank-you.
The great thing about this forum is that a lot of people here really do enjoy helping folks out with info - Review that thread of yours if you'd like, I put a lot of effort into posting there as well, with ~3 or so recursions following up on your subsequent posts.:thinking:
the dates in your quotes are wrong.
I see that I cited one incorrect date, for your first post in this thread. I acknowledge my mistake and apologize. My only excuse is that this thread was bumped after sitting for over a month but you had not yet added any additional or revisory information.
By the way, you sure do expend a lot of energy in trying to make somebody look bad.
I've only expended a lot of energy twice, for two people who didn't need any additional help.

My apologies for coming off strong, but this thread started like all those others, asking if there is "a such thing as a 'cheap' Shotgun flashlight" and inquiring if a $15 flashlight would work. My #1 question was how I ended my previous post:

You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, and you're still asking to do it on the cheap.

There have been a couple of threads regarding using flashlights in low-light encounters, I'll dig up a few, very interesting & informative reading.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188610
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188610 <- particularly good
I might come across other threads if I search some more, but the AMAZING thing about these above two is that they were never closed due to 'Mall Ninja' posting and other associated bunk. CPF threads that deal with self-defense have a terrible record for getting closed, which attests to the inherent hurdle that these two threads met.

Spending $250 is 'impossible', yet it sounds like you've already picked up some nice SF's for other uses, which you hadn't mentioned initially. I didn't understand your priorities, but I'd still like to listen & post suggestions, that's all. When you boil it down, these are still interesting topics.

Last edited:
Yes, I've read your newer threads, specifically the one on evaluating what SureFires to purchase. A good thread, well organized, with a lot of very helpful suggestions, including a couple from me (steering you away from the underperforming L2 - as I have one, IIRC). For the helpful suggestions, you sent a big thank-you for, which I think folks did appreciate.

The dates are as follows:
(links to follow)

I've only expended a lot of energy twice, for two people who didn't need any additional help in looking bad.

My apologies for coming off strong, but this thread started like all those others, asking if there is "a such thing as a 'cheap' Shotgun flashlight" and inquiring if a $15 flashlight would work. My #1 question was how I ended my previous post:
You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, and you're still asking to do it on the cheap. Spending $250 is 'impossible', yet it sounds like you've already picked up some nice SF's for other uses. I just didn't understand your priorities, but I'd still like to listen & post suggestions, that's all.

Thanks man. No, I am far past budget lights at this point. I actually got my first surefire this week (haven't posted about it) and got a Nitecore in the works.

I understand your concern. I have relaxed quite a bit on my multiple threads from the past. I hope you see that and at some point see me as a "reborn" poster.

Thanks buddy.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
A minimag will NOT let you see around your property. I suggest a Surefire G2(can find them as low as 25 bucks on the B/S/T. With some sort of R2 drop in.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hard nub of this whole discussion is that when you are talking about a tool to be used in a situation where the lives and physical freedom of people are involved, "cheap" is an invalid factor. Too much depends on equipment that functions fully and reliably.

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
Allow me. For the record, I would say this even if I didn't work here. Somebody said it perfectly "What is your life worth?" Or, what is your family's life worth? There are some things in life that should not be compromised on. When it comes to the security of my family I will NEVER compromise. Do not mount a flashlight, even a SureFire, which was intended for handheld use on a weapon with such violent recoil like a shotgun. LED or otherwise. Spend the money and buy a dedicated shotgun forend and do it right the first time. My two cents.

Oberon

Newly Enlightened
As this is a flashlight forum, and I'm a newbie :)P), let me focus on the other side of it: light mounts and tactics. Depending on what shotgun you have, there are different options available (including DIY). If you have a Mossberg, your options are more limited. MidwayUSA has the only mount for a Mossy that I've found that works with a mag extension.

As for tactics with a light and shotgun, I'd suggest Shotgunworld.com for info. Check the basement.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. :whistle:

BTW, LSM, I've added links to two threads in my previous post which are very good reading, particularly the second one. Enjoy,

Actually, you linked one thread twice. Was it the particularly good one? :p

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Actually, you linked one thread twice. Was it the particularly good one? :p
:crackup:LOL, good zinger. I'll dig up the other thread...
Edit:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225818
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188610 <- particularly good
At least I 'over-emphasized' the one I liked more.:p

My sincere apologies for taking this somewhat off topic for a moment, but here's one line that I think makes the previous thread applicable to this thread, mounting a flashlight directly on a firearm:
Having gone through a few low light schools I can attest that people will instinctively shoot towards the light! Almost every time!!! The F.B.I. method is far better because you are holding the light at a distance [...]

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allow me. For the record, I would say this even if I didn't work here. Somebody said it perfectly "What is your life worth?" Or, what is your family's life worth? There are some things in life that should not be compromised on. When it comes to the security of my family I will NEVER compromise. Do not mount a flashlight, even a SureFire, which was intended for handheld use on a weapon with such violent recoil like a shotgun. LED or otherwise. Spend the money and buy a dedicated shotgun forend and do it right the first time. My two cents.

I've always hated this question, but I'll answer it honestly and you'll know why: Today I hit the bank; it's worth $104.

Stuart, at the risk of decreasing any visceral reaction that may have caused, why not? The 6P was originally designed at 1" to be weapon-mountable with standard scope rings. I understand recoil does bad things to incandescent bulbs, but using a delrin (?) o-ring around the + battery contact should prevent the most common kind of battery failure. Any LED module should be more resilient than an incandescent bulb, and Surefire sold the Classic Universal system for a long time without a shock-mounted bezel.

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
"Why not?" First, I go with what is proven. I know that sometimes it seems you can get the same solution by going a more creative and less expensive route. However, time will show that the decision will cost you more in the end. If we, SureFire, were selling classic systems without shock isolated bezels it was well before my time. There is also a reason that we would have moved to shock isolated bezels. Necessity? Likely. There are many things at work in a dedicated forend that protect the lamp and system beyond just the bezel. I wouldn't trust my family's life to anything but the best.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't trust my family's life to anything but the best.

Circumstances conspire to force me to; I suggest not declaring the discussion over, as some of us are broke college students or something and are comfortable with a solution that only has to work once, until (say) shots are fired and the filament gives out. A single-shot 12ga with a duct-taped-on 6P would be a huge upgrade for me right now, and I think the middle-class among us forget that sometimes. If I have to replace a $20 lamp, $2.50 worth of batteries and $3 worth of shell, well, I don't plan on doing that often anyway.

By the way, the LED Universal System uses the P60L without any shock-mounting, save that integral to the module. If that's not an endorsement...

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Dont know if anybody has mentioned this, sorry if someone already did. Here's the "cheap" set up I have been looking at while I save for my SF 623F shotgun weaponlight. http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=50&page=1&id=79 You have these choices The $9.49 Mag Clamp/Accessory Clamp (SL Scorpion in photo) or the STM1200 for $7.99 (6P in photo). I guess you could get the Solarforce (6p clone/lego) with the Malkoff or the SF P60L (80 Lumens). Currently waiting to see if I get this SF 3P if I do I will post photos with ATI mag clamp on my Mossberg 500A. GL. Please no duct tape.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great link, Biglou; unfortunately, their website's gone down. x_x

Flashlights are easy, but an equivalent weapon light would cost more than double what I spent on my most expensive, before I buy a Malkoff for the thing. I've used a Malkoff'd 6P and cheap Walmart scope rings on an airsoft gun, which seemed that it'd hold up fine; however, I don't own any railed weapons. That Mag Clamp looks (sounds) perfect.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duct tape. I'da laughed, but that's exactly what was used (with a straight face) by a firearms instructor and former LAPD SWAT sniper on my .308 M1A Scout rifle during some night training (flashlight--Strion). Is it ideal? Certainly not. But it did work to get me through a series of dynamic exercises--jumping out of cars, proning out, shooting moving targets. Another LOSER (16 year old kid) had the same setup using the instructor's .308 SOCOM, with a Surefire 6P taped on instead of a Strion.

All the cool dudes (Air Force PJ, SWAT) and the instructor had the weapon mounted Surefires on their M-4's.

There are times to spend the extra cash and get the good stuff, and other times you can do as well or better and spend less. Is a duct taped flashlight going to cost a citizen their life? In a big world, it could happen, but I doubt it. For a citizen to have a gun at hand when threatened is the crux of the problem. Surefire weaponlights are gravy.

Latest posts