Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, duct tape is fine as a one-time expedient. Is a duct tape mount going to last over time, sitting in a safe, gravity pulling on it and stretching? Going to the range once or twice a week, training with the light? Do you really think that you are going to constantly remove worn duct tape and apply fresh tape as the adhesive starts to get gummy and slides around when it is 100F outside on the range or when the barrel heats up?

There is economy and then there is false economy.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I would personally prefer a handgun with a handheld flashlight for protecting my house. Let's say 90% of the people reading this aren't trained professionals and maybe 30% are even proficent with their weapon so I'm gonna say the same thing you'll hear in AR forums. Before you put on an $800 acog or eotech learn how to use your iron sights! Same principle applies here. Before you go dressing your gun up go buy you a bunch of rounds and go to a local shooting range or preferably a friends farm and get comfortable with your gun and make sure you'll only ever need one or two shots to do the job!
And think about this... You walk around a corner and the bad guy grabs your barrel... Now your helpless. Idk I guess that's why I've always prefered a handgun.

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
I was not implying that was the end of the discussion. I realize that not everyone has the funds to be spending on SureFire, I am not a fool. I was simply stating that FOR ME this was the only route acceptable. Thats all. Just my two cents.

Paladin

Enlightened
I have more than a few Surefire weapon lights, but I don't lose any sleep over using a Streamlight TLR-1 for HD purposes at short ranges, and backed up with a handheld light.

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

When your life, or those of your loved ones may depend on it????
HPIM0517-1.jpg

HPIM0515-1.jpg

Nope...

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than a few Surefire weapon lights, but I don't lose any sleep over using a Streamlight TLR-1 for HD purposes at short ranges, and backed up with a handheld light.

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

Paladin, I use the same mount on my other 870. One of the better one's for the 870, and the only In-Line one I've seen that doesn't mount directly to the barrel. I use this, the Streamlight mount, and a 1" scope/light mount and a G2/6P w/ P60L's, when used with my other one, and this is about the cheapest I'll get. But then again, it's not my home defense gun, which should be a shot-gun IMHO. This would be my ONLY recomendation for a "cheap shot-gun light", or a good pistol light, like your set-up.

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, this is what I went with:

Solarforce L2 on the end of my Mossberg.

Thanks for all the tips and feedback.

Yes it has been fired with flashlight attached and yes it's still going strong.

shotgun2lowest.jpg

Last edited:

Burntrubber87

Newly Enlightened
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Burntrubber87/105_0994.jpg
This is the budget setup for my Mossberg, its a UTG 1'' barrel mount that uses 3 set screws right agains't the barrel, a 1" ring and a SF G2 with a P61. I like the mount, its pretty much bomb-proof..the material is about 1/4'' thick at the thinnest point, aluminum. the light and mount were about $60 at gander mountain, not including the p61. It looks like it would be hard to activate the light but that is where my left thumb is usually resting, and its not much of a stretch. But if you got the money I would recomend a SF forend. As for using a handheld light on a shotgun, i'm not trying to troll here but something is better than nothing, if you have the money to buy a expensive dedicated light, great. But the cost of a dedicated light would double the price I paid for my 12 gauge. and so far any SF i've had can take anything a shotgun can throw at it and more. And Angelofwar..that is one sick collection.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, looks like the mods thought my photo was too big. I resized it to half its sized and lowered the resolution by half. Hope this works.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or just throw the light away....just kidding...keep it handy for a loaner? ...but the mount itself looks pretty useful for "hands free lighting". nice find biglou!!! Now I can attach my M4 Devastator to my bicycle! :devil:

Latest posts