is there any flashaholic here that doesn't like Lightsabers?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought of them as a large plasma torch in a magnetic bottle. You probably could eventually make a device like that. Not really a practical weapon though.

From Wikipedia:
Plasma is an effective means of cutting thin and thick materials alike. Hand held torches can usually cut up to 2 in (48 mm) thick steel plate, and stronger computer-controlled torches can pierce and cut steel up to 12 inches (300 mm) thick. Formerly, plasma cutters could only work on conductive materials, however new technologies allow the plasma ignition arc to be enclosed within the nozzle thus allowing the cutter to be used for non-conductive workpieces.
Since plasma cutters produce a very hot and very localized 'cone' to cut with, they are extremely useful for cutting sheet metal in curved or angled shapes.

Of course those machines are rather large.

Esenstially, thats what people are thinking will eventually be our lightssabers...thing is that in the starwars universe, the lightsaber is a "laser sword" so..yeah..

Crenshaw

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
i would think it would be impossible to create a lightray that is controllable and energetic enough to cut through steal

plasma seems like the only plausible way to do it

Burgess

Flashaholic
When LightSabers are outlawed,

only Outlaws will have LightSabers.

:devil:
_

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see it know. There will be forum posts about light saber tint bins, and people happy or upset about what they got in the Lux...er ...lightsaber lottery.

Burgess

Flashaholic
And a Whole Bunch of stories posted in the thread:

Things I Learned the Hard Way

_

Cydonia

Enlightened
The Lightsaber concept in Star Wars was interesting and fun...

It's just that the radiation and magnetic field strength intensity of a contained plasma arc like that would present problems to living things.
You know, stuff like fatal to severe radiation burns and instant blindness. :ironic:

The fabulous energy levels required (and in such a small self contained package) are all impossible today... and perhaps will be for centuries to come. That part doesn't bother me, funny enough, because who knows what zero point energy or fantastic energies contained within a planets magnetic field could be tapped. It's probably doable, and perhaps in use right now, somewhere in this Galaxy... or another :naughty:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
you know, like the star wars lightsabers. is there anyone here that has a flashlight fetish and doesnt also think that lightsabers are awesome? and does it work vice versa? do we need to get more star wars fans over here?

someone make a lightsaber flashlight please. with an insanely tight beam, and exactly 1 meter of throw. very blue tint is ok.

:popcorn:

Once I had the chance of seeing someone's lightsaber, it was a heavy piece of @#$%, but it was awesome!

1 length of copper based tubing [with hand made decor on top but the bottom screws out and attached to it a holder for a laser pointer. the copper tube was followed by a plastic collar of some sort, attached to that is a solid bar of smoked acrylic. about the thickness of a half dollar but about 3 feet long. the laser pointers holder was 4 30-60-90 triangles assembled so that the long side of the triangle holds the laser pointer from all sides. the rigidity and snugness of the holder assembly keeps the pointer engaged as long as its in the holder. the acrylic was the cool part, a very even output with the exception of the tip, which was capped off using a rubber sleeve.

I wasn't a star wars fan, but I lived around star war fans when I was in high school.:poke:
Can someone create a flashlight that uses the same principle but can be disassembled?

imagine....a Mag623 turned into a light saber:nana:

m16a

Enlightened
Jedi Crystals are natrual, and you have to travel to its homeworld to get a crystal of a certain colour. sith crystals are synthetic,and therefore usually come out red.

Lightsabers use a rechargable battery, most of them just one big cell (think AW rechargable cells, but not C, but D format)...but more complex designs can use multiple cells ( think fivemega's 6- 2d holder). Qui-gon Jinn's (THE coolest jedi, along with Mace Windu) green lightsaber used multiple cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber

:)

as you can tell, im a starwars fan

Crenshaw

The crystals are found on many different planets. Windu's were on a planet with a particularly nasty group of natives. Also, 1-3 crystals are allowed. More than one makes it a multiphase lightsaber. Darth Vader's saber help multiple crystals and could both lengthen, as well as becoming as thick as a twohander or thin as a rapier. Corran Horn had an interesting multi mode saber that was purple in normal mode, and silver when extended in length! Yeah, I'm a star wars geekazoid also!!!:nana:

1 what

Enlightened
Who said Lightsabers don't / can't exist?
Here's a photo of mine sitting on its' charger.
I just have to figure out how to insulate one end so I can hold it.

weaponski2.jpg

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
One of my best friends had a replica of Mace Windu's purple lightsaber. The thing looked awful because it used blue LEDs (63 of them IIRC) with a fluorescent pink plastic filter to render the color sort of purple, but not at all uniform in appearance. I pulled all of that out and replaced it with a green Lux III driven to 750 mA on a copper heat sink. I installed a mirror at the far end to even out the beam which is focused by an optic. It it so bright and 'realistic' that kids were asking me if it was real in all seriousness. My friend is obviously a huge Star Wars fan, and needless to say he is very happy with it. Here is a pic of the finished mod posing as a cue:
P1010191-1.jpg

mchlwise

Enlightened
I think the original premise of the thread fits any former Boy Scout in their late 30's - early 40's. We grew up on the original Star Wars, which was revolutionary.

Which one of us DIDN'T shine our lights into the smoke of the evening camp fire and pretend it was a light saber, whishing someday to have the real thing? :shrug:

tygger

Enlightened
I think the original premise of the thread fits any former Boy Scout in their late 30's - early 40's. We grew up on the original Star Wars, which was revolutionary.

Which one of us DIDN'T shine our lights into the smoke of the evening camp fire and pretend it was a light saber, whishing someday to have the real thing? :shrug:

While making the light saber noise of course......

Illum

Flashaholic
the sounds the difficult part, if they manage to build a flashlight that is sensitive to touch we might have flashlights that either say hello to you or argue with you every time you want to use it :candle::crackup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
And a Whole Bunch of stories posted in the thread:

Things I Learned the Hard Way

_

always always have the saftey on when youve got your lightsaber in your pocket...:poof:

"Windu's were on a planet with a particularly nasty group of natives."
i always loved the name of that planet, i think its the coolest planet name in the star wars universe...hurikane!

mudman, i envy you, those things are expensive! i have wanted one long before i wanted any high-powered flashlight..

Crenshaw

Latest posts