Is this something I need to do?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
After buying a new Canon digital camera that takes AA batteries I bought the La Crosse BC-900 charger. Along with the batteries that came with the charger I have 16 Duracell AA 2300 mAh batteries. My camera takes 4 batteries. I have a scanner that takes 6 batteries. Remotes that take 2 batteries. And so on. Do I need to somehow mark the batteries so I don't have batteries that have been charged more than others in the same item?

Last edited:

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't hurt! And it is fairly simple to do so. I mark mine with different colored felt tip marker pens right in the space around the positive terminal.

sbebenelli said:
........ Along with the batteries that came with the charger I have 16 Duracell AAA 2300 mAh batteries. ......

That is amazing!!!! I never heard of AAA Rechargables with even half that capacity! ;)
I know, just a typo; Couldn't resist teasing.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a good idea. You might want to run your cells through a couple of test cycles on the LaCrosse and make your sets from cells that are closest in max charge capacity.

I use a sharpie to number the cells in sets. Coloring the tops is another good idea.

Put the weakest sisters in the remotes and the strongest probably in your camera.

The LaCrosse is a great charger which makes this type of matching easy.

Mark

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Is it OK to test new cells that have only been charged once or should I use them for awhile and check them after they have been charged a few times?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
sbebenelli said:
Is it OK to test new cells that have only been charged once or should I use them for awhile and check them after they have been charged a few times?

Good question. Apparently there is some amount of "break-in" on new or long unused cells.

The test cycle on the LaCrosse first charges, then discharges and then recharges. I have found on my cells which are PowerEx 2300 mA, that two times through the test cycle seems to stabilize them and make them quite repeatable as to the max charge level.

I don't know if using them first would really help this process or not, but I don't see how it would hurt. In the end you would still have to run a couple of test cycles to get the most accurate picture. It seems certain that the discharge portion of the test cycle will be much more consistent than discharging them in various gear.

Mark

bullmastiff

Newly Enlightened
Foxx510 said:
It is important to keep them in matched sets so they charge equally.

Just so you know batteries will never always stay the same charge in pairs.

Battery charging is big business in RC vehicles. To keep them matched, every so often you have to zap them. Lithium I know are different, but they will not always discharge at the same rate or charge at the same rate.

And as a digital camera salesman you don't have to keep them matched. Your camera will be fine.

Bryan

Foxx510

Enlightened
It is my understanding that if you are charging two or more cells in series, and one cell reaches capacity before the others, it will be overcharged. The other possibility is that the delta peak sensing will terminate the charge leaving the other cells not fully charged. It depends on the charger. Also, keeping them in matched sets means that all the cells are of the same age/cycle history, so are of a similar capacity.
It is my understanding that "zapping" is more to do with improving internal electrode bonding, thus increasing voltage under load. To balance cells, they should all be discharged to .9v individually, then charged as a pack.
I will respectfully disagree with you in this case Bryan!

All the best
Adam