Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & NiMH

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & Ni

I think the above discussion underscores the need to invest in a decent DMM when working with Li-ion cells. Personally, I wouldn't trust ANY charger to terminate at a reasonble level without testing resting voltages myself. While a few millivolts above 4.20V won't make a huge difference, values nearing ~4.25V should be strenously avoided.

I don't mean to suggest everyone should run out and get a Fluke, but you should be willing to spend at least as much (and preferably a little more) on a decent DMM than you would on any given charger.

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & Ni

I'll suggest it, though. Everyone should run out and get a Fluke! :D It's fun having a good meter, just like it's fun having a good light.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I'll suggest it, though. Everyone should run out and get a Fluke! :D It's fun having a good meter, just like it's fun having a good light.

You can get other good meters, try a Agilent. They are just as good as Fluke (Ok, I will admit that I only have one Agilent and 7 Fluke, but I tried to get a 2/6 score, except I could not find anywhere to buy the Agilent I wanted).

Russel

Enlightened

Gossen Metrawatt also makes some excellent quality multi-meters, although very pricey even compared to Fluke.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Gossen Metrawatt also makes some excellent quality multi-meters, although very pricey even compared to Fluke.

I love their Energy meter and Fluke has nothing that can compare to that.
My usual test DMM's:
DSC_0750.jpg

dazler

Newly Enlightened

Okay, my i4 is definitely overcharging. Still don't have a fluke, but one of my protected batteries got fried for good just after 2 charging cycles. Resting voltage dropped from 4.27V to 3.5V overnight, so it doesn't hold it's charge anymore.

After that I noticed one other protected battery made i4's charging channel go offline when the charging was nearly completed according to i4. All the charging leds went off. Removed and after a while reseated to other channel. Charged for a few minutes and same thing happened. So the batterys own protecting circuit cut off the charging process twice before i4 did. Now I'm worried. This charger is lethal to the batteries.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Okay, my i4 is definitely overcharging. Still don't have a fluke, but one of my protected batteries got fried for good just after 2 charging cycles. Resting voltage dropped from 4.27V to 3.5V overnight, so it doesn't hold it's charge anymore.

After that I noticed one other protected battery made i4's charging channel go offline when the charging was nearly completed according to i4. All the charging leds went off. Removed and after a while reseated to other channel. Charged for a few minutes and same thing happened. So the batterys own protecting circuit cut off the charging process twice before i4 did. Now I'm worried. This charger is lethal to the batteries.
That's exactly what it sounds like is happening - your charger is over-charging the cells until the built-in protection circuits are tripped (usually by ~4.28V).

Do not use that charger again - it should be returned.

Tryptos

Newly Enlightened

I'm a bit wary of substandard chargers or even fakes.
Can anyone please recommend an ebay seller to buy an i4 pro from?
I'm in the UK but not in a rush so a HK seller is fine.

appliancejunk

Enlightened

Nice review, thanks!

vespagt200

Newly Enlightened

Hello, I am a new flashaholic, just got the bite after acquiring a Fenix TK41U then added a LD22 G2, PD32 UE and my fav TK75. I ordered the JetBeam Pro i4 from Amazon and it is listed as the ver 3 2013 enhanced model. Being new to 18650's and learning as much as I can about safety and chargers is this one any different than the pro model being discussed here?

Thank you for any help and love my new hobby!

Sean

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome:

I have not heard of any newer charger other than the one listed in this thread.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello, I am a new flashaholic, just got the bite after acquiring a Fenix TK41U then added a LD22 G2, PD32 UE and my fav TK75. I ordered the JetBeam Pro i4 from Amazon and it is listed as the ver 3 2013 enhanced model. Being new to 18650's and learning as much as I can about safety and chargers is this one any different than the pro model being discussed here?

Thank you for any help and love my new hobby!

Sean

I thought we were talking about the Jetbeam Pro I4 charger? :confused:

Although I am very familiar with the Xtar VP1. :D

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Great review: Hope I don't fry my new batteries.

Great review, as you always do, Selfbuilt.

I just picked one up from Amazon, and I have a batch of 4 brand new Orbtronics 3400mAh on there. Maybe I should have tested with just one, now that I see some of the units may overcharge. I may just pull a few off before I go to sleep, and just let one finish the cycle. Does stopping and restarting the charge cycle damage the battery at all, with LiCo?

PS: I have a Pila charger as well, but I grabbed this so I could charge 4 at once, for my new incoming 3 and 4 * 18650 torches.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Great review: Hope I don't fry my new batteries.

You can pull Li-Ion batteries off the charger prior to receiving a full charge without doing any damage to the cell. I personally would use the Pila charger over the other charger. AND you shouldn't leave the batteries on the charger overnight while you go to sleep. Not very safe in my opinion. Always monitor the charge cycles.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

GMaybe I should have tested with just one, now that I see some of the units may overcharge. I may just pull a few off before I go to sleep, and just let one finish the cycle. Does stopping and restarting the charge cycle damage the battery at all, with LiCo?
You can pull Li-Ion batteries off the charger prior to receiving a full charge without doing any damage to the cell. I personally would use the Pila charger over the other charger. AND you shouldn't leave the batteries on the charger overnight while you go to sleep. Not very safe in my opinion. Always monitor the charge cycles.
Yes, there is no problem with pulling Li-ions off the charger early. I also agree about not leaving cells on a charger over night. As a general rule, the greatest risk of an incident with Li-ions is during the charging phase (as opposed to primary cells, where it is in the discharging).

Given the over-charging report by a member in this thread, I would strongly recommend you confirm the resting voltage of your cells at termination with a DMM. Of course, that is useful advice for any charger.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened

I tested 4 new 3400mAh and one older 2200 mAh 18650 cells at termination:
Pila: 1 cells at 4.20
i4: ranged from 4.09, 4.13, 4.17, 4.21

I put the 2 with lower volts on the Pila, and they topped off at 4.17 and 4.18.

I am thinking the 4.21 from one of the i4 bays is probably ok, given the probable standard deviation of accuracy in most electrical testing equipment. I still will use the i4 when I need to charge more then 2 batts at once, just way ore efficient then hanging around for multiple cycles.

I'm hoping the termination circuits in these things are reliable, because I don't have time to hang around babysitting the charger everytime I charge up a batch. If not, I would go to another chemistry. (I do use a lot of eneloops in my AA and AAA lights and gadgets).

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far ran three sets of 4 through it. Each measured from 4.24 to 4.26 so will grab another meter tomorrow to double check. If its what I think, its going back.

KILLER_K

Newly Enlightened

Great job as always selfbuilt. Did you happen to try unplugging the charger after all the batteries reached the full charge. Then just plug the power back in and see how the charger acted after that? It seems to act like it is resetting and starting over after you do that. Even though the batteries are fully charged.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

So far ran three sets of 4 through it. Each measured from 4.24 to 4.26 so will grab another meter tomorrow to double check. If its what I think, its going back.
That's not good. If you consistently get that with a quality DMM, I would definitely send the unit back. Let us know more ...

Great job as always selfbuilt. Did you happen to try unplugging the charger after all the batteries reached the full charge. Then just plug the power back in and see how the charger acted after that? It seems to act like it is resetting and starting over after you do that. Even though the batteries are fully charged.
Yes, it is indeed likely to do that - but you should find it terminates again with a matter of seconds to minutes. Given the very low current at termination, this won't affect the overall charge status.