Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & NiMH

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Great review: Hope I don't fry my new batteries.

Ran one more set through it so far, this time measured with a fluke, got 4.22 on all 4, all were ET 3100 red and white types. Going to run a few more sets through to see if holds true for other brands of batteries. Also noticed that on two batteries, it barely gets warm. On four, this little sucker gets hot, hot enough to make that hot plastic smell we all know. Played with different ways of letting it set, seemed to stay cooler if standing on end. Wife joked could use as a heating pad for sore muscles while charging batteries.

KILLER_K

Newly Enlightened
Re: Great review: Hope I don't fry my new batteries.

Here is what I'm seeing on my charger. Let them charge and all bars are full. Let them trickle charge for a good while. Remove the 4 batteries and place them back in and it then shows 2 bars and starts charging again. They are 4.2v - 4.2v - 4.19v - 4.2v. They shouldn't need charging after that, let alone be showing only 2 bars.

Perhaps the charger could possibly going on a type of sleep state after a long amount of time? As the batteries are fully charged and maybe the charger senses it and stops? But it still shouldn't see only 2 bars after resetting the batteries.

Yes, it is indeed likely to do that - but you should find it terminates again with a matter of seconds to minutes. Given the very low current at termination, this won't affect the overall charge status.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion &

Don't worry about the number of bars -how long does it take for the charger to terminate, ands what it's the voltage? You should find the difference to be negligible.

KILLER_K

Newly Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion &

From what I'm seeing is like 5 - 10 minutes after placing them back in. I do notice rolling the batteries sometimes fixes the issue. Again just passing the info along. The voltage was 4.2v - 4.2v - 4.19v - 4.2v.

Don't worry about the number of bars -how long does it take for the charger to terminate, ands what it's the voltage? You should find the difference to be negligible.

py702

Newly Enlightened

What type of DMM are you all using? Any recommendations for an accurate one at a decent price? I've read 4.24v both on an Eagletac 3400 and an old AW 2200. Both were right off the charger (Jetbeam i4 pro) and felt cool to the touch so I wasn't really worried.

I'm currently using a cheap radio shack DMM #22-820, so I figured it may be inaccurate.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can find someone with a good meter and test yours against it, then if it shows 4.24 and yours the same, yours is good enough. If it shows 4.22 and yours shows 4.24, yours it .02 off. etc etc Can buy a fluke for around a hundred dollars, used ones less. Its an old model, but I picked up a Fluke 23 series 2 for fifty. See 113's going close to 100 or so.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, two sets of ET and three sets of NCR-A's later and its going back. Odd that the ET lights come out at 4.22, while the NCR-A's came out at 4.23. Either way, still to high so its going back. Will try another, if it doesn't work ill move to another brand.

jred23

Newly Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & Ni

Just got my jetbeam i4 pro. My only problem is I bought it overseas and the wall plug is different from ours in the US. So I got this universal ac adapter that is rated 1500mah 1.2a max and I charge using the 12v dc setting. It is for fenix arb l2 batteries for now and later I will get some good aa rechargables for my nitecore ea4. I hope this is ok to use the universal adapter with this charger. Anybodys opinion on this?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam i4 PRO Intellicharger Review: Current/Voltage Comparisons for Li-ion & Ni

Just got my jetbeam i4 pro. My only problem is I bought it overseas and the wall plug is different from ours in the US. So I got this universal ac adapter that is rated 1500mah 1.2a max and I charge using the 12v dc setting. It is for fenix arb l2 batteries for now and later I will get some good aa rechargables for my nitecore ea4. I hope this is ok to use the universal adapter with this charger. Anybodys opinion on this?
I'd say it's unnecessary. I can't say anything about your convertor, but since the regular plug's socket (the one shaped like an infinity sign) on the charger is rated for both 110 and 220/230V outlets, just get a cable with this plug. You can almost certainly get one for under five dollars.
They are commonly known as "figure eight" or "shotgun" connectors, but they're also referred to as euro-connectors or C7/C8 plugs/sockets respectively. (Disclaimer: I just learnt about this from Wikipedia)

UVsqEFAl.jpg

I ordered my i4 (non-pro) from the UK. The box included a UK cable, so I just went to a local electronics shop and bought a 0.5m cable to replace it.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Actually, that sounds more like a transformer/converter than just a power adapter. It would be unnecessary, as the i4 pro runs on either 110V or 220/230V. So all you need is replacement cable (as oKtosiTe points out), or a simple travel plug adapter. The latter should also not cost you more than a few dollars.

jred23

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I tried a US "figure 8" plug at the local electronics store and it didn't work! I also tried a US plug adaptor and it didn't work either... luckily the other power port worked!! I'm not sure what its called but the other one on back of the jetbeam i4 pro. The back of the adaptor I bought for the charger says:
Universal AC/DC Adaptor
Model :pST-15M
Input :100-240v~ 50/60Hz
Output :3/4.5/6/7.5/9/12V
1200mA max

Since my "figure 8" port isnt working is this ok to use as long as I'm on 12v mode? Sorry I don't have a pic but its nice and compact and only about 9 dollars. I think the brand is Rhino - model PST-15M
Thanks guys!!!

jred23

Newly Enlightened

Thank you oKtosiTe for your help. I failed to mention my "firgure 8" port doesn't even work with travel adapter or even a plain US figure 8 plug.. You think my adaptor will be ok for my batteries? I know it works. But you think its safe? I would exchange my charger but the seller is way too far for me to send it back. Thanks again oKtosiTe!!!

ozzie

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for an excellent review. I wanted to order the Nitecore I4 and asked the supplier if it would charge LiFePO4 batteries, but they can't tell me. I know it doesn't say it will, and your figures only show voltages higher (or lower) than the 3.2 volts required, but it would be nice if I could use this charger for these cells as well as the others. It seems from your review that the charger measures terminal voltage to determine the type of cell, which implies it may not be able to detect the 3.2 volts of a LiFePO4 cell, or think it's a Li cell and try to charge it to over 4 volts. Still, it's worth asking, in case you've tried these cells, before I buy the charger. I admit I haven't read all the hundreds of posts, so please forgive me if the answer is already buried there somewhere. I've only just joined this forum.

wertzius

Newly Enlightened

In short: it is not possible, you will overcharge the cells.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

In short: it is not possible, you will overcharge the cells.
That's my understanding as well. I don't see how this charger would be able to distinguish between different types of Li-ions. You would need to get a proper dedicated charge for those lower voltage cells.

danbruski

Newly Enlightened

I'm finding quite difficult to get a manual for the JetBeam intelligent charger i4 Pro I just ordered off Amazon. I wanted to know what the flashing lights meant. I found the answer in the OPs great review, but things like banking and such would be nice to find a manual. I went to [email protected] after seeing their manual link gave a 404 web error. They replied, ">
I am sorry, we are not the mfr. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer for you either. Please contact.
http://www.jetbeamlight.com/Contact.asp " While an honest answer, not a very good one since all I asked for was a manual or at least a description of the blinky lights. So I went to the manufacturer site and no manual online there either, so I emailed them and received this automated reply from Fanny,

"Dear All,
I will be out of office from Jan 15,2014 to Feb 9,2014.
As new order,please contact my colleague Jessie.
As after-sales service,i will reply you once coming back.
Best regards"

Shouldn't be so darn hard to get a manual or description.
This is exactly what mine looks like... it says "Intellicharger" not the misspelled version...
http://www.jetbeamlighting.com/images/Jetbeam/JETBeam-i4-PRO.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

lmh0t3p

Newly Enlightened

The reviews on this site are very detailed and informational.

I am planning o buy some AW18650 IMR 2000mAh batteries.

I will be charging two batteries at a time. Do you recommend using the i2 and charge at ~350mA or the i4 and charge at ~750mA?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

The reviews on this site are very detailed and informational.

I am planning o buy some AW18650 IMR 2000mAh batteries.

I will be charging two batteries at a time. Do you recommend using the i2 and charge at ~350mA or the i4 and charge at ~750mA?
Actually, the i2 charges at 500mA, and the i4 charges at 375mA or 750mA depending on whether paired or unpaired slots are used respectively.
Both should be completely suitable, but the wait is a bit longer with the lower charge rates. If you'll want to charge more than two cells at a time, the i4 is a good choice.
If you want more control, have a look at Xtar's offerings.

lmh0t3p

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for clarifying that. After i posted this, i read about some reliability issues with nitecores and I am getting a little skeptical about them.

My first pick was the xtar wp2s. I think it is a PILA lookalike for a little cheaper. I haven't heard many complains about that one.
It should be somewhere in the middle of PILA and Nitecores.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Thanks for clarifying that. After i posted this, i read about some reliability issues with nitecores and I am getting a little skeptical about them.

My first pick was the xtar wp2s. I think it is a PILA lookalike for a little cheaper. I haven't heard many complains about that one.
It should be somewhere in the middle of PILA and Nitecores.
It's been on my wishlist for a while, but I recently set my sights on the VP2 instead (neither charges nickel cells BTW).
That said, my i4 is still serving me well. I regularly top off my four EagleTac 3100s with it without issue.

Oh, and before I forget: :welcome:

Last edited: