JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more!

jzelek

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review - thanks! :wave:

I've been looking for a Light with these features for awhile now and your review helped me to decide to buy the Jetbeam Military.
I have until now only purchased American Made lights but after reading your review and looking at the photos it appears to be one of the better quality lights available.

I placed a order with Bug Out Gear today and can't wait to get it!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the support everyone. :grouphug:

For those not already familiar with JetBeam lights, I think this light would make a great introduction - the Jet-III M has the best build and feature set I've seen with JB. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
With optional Stainless Steel Crenulated Bezel

IMG_2312.jpg

Beamshots of warm tint coming after dark... :D

naked2

Enlightened
IMG_2312.jpg

I hope they come out with an actual "crenelated bezel" (somewhere in the neighborhood of the SureFire 6PD/SolarForce L2, or even as slight as the UltraFire 501 series), as this "aggressive attack bezel" is too aggresssive :twak: for my uses.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
this "aggressive attack bezel" is too aggresssive :twak: for my uses.

Ah, I too would also like the standard front bezel to be shaped similar to the tail bezel. As responsive as Jetbeam has been, I wouldn't be surprised if one comes available :cool:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a dark room to take some beamshots (antique white).

Here are the lights:
IMG_2335.jpg

All lights are on the highest setting, using a fresh AW 18650, the exposure and white balance is locked for all pictures. All emitters are Cree XRE.

Jetbeam Jet-III-M with OP reflector and Warm/Neutral Tint (Bin unknown)
IMG_2325.jpg

Same Jetbeam Jet-III-M, but with optional "attack" bezel:
IMG_2324.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 3SD, OP reflector and "Neutral" 5A Q3 Emitter:
IMG_2326.jpg

OLight M20 Warrior Premium, with OP reflector and R2 emitter. NOTE: The LED die is way off underneath the dome, so I'm sending this one back for repair/replacement next week.
IMG_2327.jpg

RaidFire Spear, with OP reflector and Q5 emitter.
IMG_2328.jpg

Here's my ratings for different aspects of these three lights:

Output (Reported Camera-Exposure):
(1) Spear, (2) M20, (3) DBS, Jet-III-M (tie)

My beam preference:
(1) DBS, (2) Jet-III-M, (3) Spear, (4) M20

Flashlight non-emitter quality:
(1) Jet-III-M, (2) M20, (3) Spear, (4) DBS

Purchased Cost (Lower=Better):
(1) Jet-III-M, (2) M20 < These Under $100
(3) Spear, (4) DBS < These Over $120

Looks (my opinion):
(1) Spear, (2) Jet-III-M, (3) M20, (4) DBS

Last edited:

naked2

Enlightened
Great comparison! :thumbsup:

Boy, that attack bezel sure robs the III M's useful spillbeam. :shakehead

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, that attack bezel sure robs the III M's useful spillbeam. :shakehead

Yes, but it adds other functionality and beauty. :D

The original bezel leaves a gap, the strike bezel goes right up to the head.

whc

Enlightened
Very nice EngrPaul, must fight, no more lights this months, even though it is hard not to go for another JET-III M with the warmer tint :).

FUI I asked JetBeam what bin they used in the naturel/warm tinted lights, this is the reply i got:
We use Q3 5A LED in the Neutral White JET-III M, you may contact our distributor for details, thanks!
So it is a Q3, you didn't get some lux readings of your first JET-II M? Could be nice to compare if you lose some output with the Q3, but overall it is probably nothing.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it is a Q3, you didn't get some lux readings of your first JET-II M?

I believe it's a 5A Q3, since it gives the same exposure value as the DBS when taking the picture at a constant F-stop and aperature.

whc

Enlightened
I believe it's a 5A Q3, since it gives the same exposure value as the DBS when taking the picture at a constant F-stop and aperature.
Yes your right (see my post #31), JETBeam confirmed the led is a Q5 A5.

Don't know if you have any Seoul SSC P4 USV0H, but if you have can you tell me if the tint is about the same (the USV0H is my favorite tint :D).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way, the USV0H is no where as near as warm as 5A Q3.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you want this light!

The only thing "warmer" that I have is the TK20, which is 5A Q2, IFRC.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No way, the USV0H is no where as near as warm as 5A Q3.
Agreed, the 5A "neutral" tints are extremely warm compared to the standard "cool" white tints we are used. 5A is nothing like a relatively warm cool white.

For a comparison, here is a pic I made comparing my Fenix TK20 (5A) to a standard Fenix L2D (both with the camera locked on daylight setting):

TK20.gif

Personally, I like a warmish cool tint - I haven't quite got used to the truly warm 5A tints yet.

IanT61

Newly Enlightened
Can anybody clear up some confusion around the ramp time on the Jetbeam III M. In selfbuilts review (great job by the way) its measured at 30 seconds but in the sections of the manual posted by EngrPaul it says 8 seconds??

30 seconds seems a very long time especially if it always starts the ramping sequence in the same direction ie if you were near the bottom but wanted to go lower would you have to wait for it to ramp all the way to max and then work its way back down which could be 45secs or so :confused:.

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Very tempted to buy this one, I had two nitecores which both went wrong (one of which seemed to short out and got very hot while switched off.
So I am still in need of a proper flash light to light up my night!
Could one of you happy owners please post up a pick of this in your hand?
There's no shops here in the UK so eBay from china is the only way to go, I get hit with to much tax when ordered from the states. And I would like to see a relative size.
Thanks Kam.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine takes about 15 seconds. :tinfoil:

Can anybody clear up some confusion around the ramp time on the Jetbeam III M. In selfbuilts review (great job by the way) its measured at 30 seconds but in the sections of the manual posted by EngrPaul it says 8 seconds??

30 seconds seems a very long time especially if it always starts the ramping sequence in the same direction ie if you were near the bottom but wanted to go lower would you have to wait for it to ramp all the way to max and then work its way back down which could be 45secs or so :confused:.