JETBeam PA10

swan

Banned
Earlier I didn't know I could use 14500 to my Nitecore D10. Then I read about it and tried. The brightness is the same as with AA, also the very low brightness was still there. That can be considered as an advantage. But actually I more like the possibility to vary the brightnesses by changing the battery. Xeno E03 is several times brighter with 14500 than with AA, and I really like that! Using AA the medium and high brightness is enough for allround use and with the low mode the runtime will be very good. Using 14500 the lowest mode is almost the same as the highest with AA and the medium and high are awesome! Therefore I think I would like Jetbeam PA10. I can change between AA and 14500 depending on the purpose and situation.
Thanks Swedpat, you seem to get it.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both a PA10 and PC10? I want to see if the heads can be switched. It would be cool to know whether the PC10 can run on a 14500 and AA with all modes available

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote to the kind people at Jetbeam, the PA10 loses the ability to change modes when running on 14500's. Which is why I ended up getting a Sunwayman V10A XML T6 instread. 460+ lumens, variable output!

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
after emailing JetBeam... no, the heads cannot be switched... now i really can't bring myself to buy this flashlight.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get another, that's what I did! :)

Jetbeam will make another winner! I was told that after this Chinese new year, they will be coming up with a few new lights.

iron potato

Enlightened
If PA10 can make full modes on 14500. . . . if. . . . :duh2:

Jetbeam will make another winner! I was told that after this Chinese new year, they will be coming up with a few new lights.

I can't wait..... pls surprise me :naughty:

Racer

Enlightened
I wrote to the kind people at Jetbeam, the PA10 loses the ability to change modes when running on 14500's. Which is why I ended up getting a Sunwayman V10A XML T6 instread. 460+ lumens, variable output!

The V10A is probably going to be my next light. I want an AA light where I can see the full benefits of the 14500 not reduced functionality. I'll probably get another BA10 though too since I miss the one I gave away.

How is the lowest low on the V10A with a 14500 compared to an AA? Understandable if it's a little higher but hopefully not too much higher.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Well, I'm using the PA10 with an IMR 14500. I don't mind not having the multiple modes etc. If it really bothered me, then I might consider the JetBeam RRT0 XML. That thing seems to go from .005 - 550 lumens with the twist of the ring; but that sucker is pricey!

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
JohnnyBravo said:
Well, I'm using the PA10 with an IMR 14500. I don't mind not having the multiple modes etc. If it really bothered me, then I might consider the JetBeam RRT0 XML. That thing seems to go from .005 - 550 lumens with the twist of the ring; but that sucker is pricey!

I love my RRT-0 XML. At first, I was bothered by the danger of driving it on turbo too long and destroying either the battery or the light (high heat or amps) but I realize I don't use turbo as often as I thought I would but that adjustment ring is just awesome when you need some light but not too much or too little (depending on the situation).

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
GForGeep, do you run yours w/ AA, 14500, CR123, or RCR123?
I love my RRT-0 XML. At first, I was bothered by the danger of driving it on turbo too long and destroying either the battery or the light (high heat or amps) but I realize I don't use turbo as often as I thought I would but that adjustment ring is just awesome when you need some light but not too much or too little (depending on the situation).

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
JohnnyBravo said:
GForGeep, do you run yours w/ AA, 14500, CR123, or RCR123?

Whatever i have available :)

But I usually try to keep an RCR123 lately so I can keep it smaller without the AA extension (been EDCin' my SC80 and my microstream the past week). But if i make it my primary, it's on a 14500 so I can grab a AA if needed. I run it at about 50% most of the time and it's usually more than enough light. And if I need the extra power, it's there. It's output on an AA eneloop (at least mine) seems close to the 110 lumens jetbeam says it puts out.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The V10A is probably going to be my next light. I want an AA light where I can see the full benefits of the 14500 not reduced functionality. I'll probably get another BA10 though too since I miss the one I gave away.

How is the lowest low on the V10A with a 14500 compared to an AA? Understandable if it's a little higher but hopefully not too much higher.

I don't have a V10A xml. But I do have a V10R XML. Running on AW IMR 16340 batteries it's very bright. And the selector ring works perfectly. The lowest low on the V10R is VERY low.... lower than on any of my other lights (including Zebralights SC51, SC80 and SC600).

Since the head on the V10R can use the body tube of the V10A, I see no reason why the V10A shouldn't work perfectly in low modes with a 14500.

STR

Newly Enlightened
I own two of the PA10 models. I use them on high all the time gassing it happily so to speak. :thumbsup:

I buy two of anything that I find to be exceptional. I own the BA20 and the BA10. Honestly this does what they both do as well as what my other lights do like the LD20 by Fenix or my Streamlights or TerraLux models.

The PA10 is a great wall of light. It doesn't throw as far as the TerraLux Lightstar100 on high due to the narrow focused beam of the lightstar. But it throws out there pretty well just a wider beam is all. The BA20 on high throws further and honestly the light appears brighter to me coming from the BA20 but when you do the small dark closed room test the PA10 certainly appears to light up the room better on a fresh battery. I like these lights personally. As I said though I use them on high only.

On the Jetbeam lights you twist the bezel end to adjust to different modes. High and low for example is a mere twist away. It sounds good in theory and it does work but what I'm finding with both the PA10 models is that once you twist the head then it can 'wobble' and what happens is by palm pressure it goes in and out of high and flutters because your hand is making the end move connecting the same as it does when tightened down. You can twist this out by going a little further but if you forget you end up having to repeat this exercise to correct the issue. The other thing I have issue with on one of my lights is that when on high the switch still moves from one setting to the other so that when you adjust it back to low mode to use the other settings it may be set on strobe now or S.O.S or the lowest setting depending on where you were in the settings. The lower serial number model does not do this as once the light is on high the operation of the switch to go through the various power modes and other options is apparently disabled. Not sure why it is not that way on the other one but we'll see how it goes. For me on high these things are amazing lights. The wall of light these little guys throws can't really be appreciated until night time. But you know even with their flaws and the fact that they do like batteries they work great and I have no real complaint for what comes out the shiny end! I don't use anything but regular Wal-Mart bought Duracell AA batteries in mine and its more than adequate for any of my needs. Haven't even tried a recharge type battery in the thing. I doubt I will.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened

The lowest low on the v10a on 14500 and aa, to me at least, appears to be the same. It is so low you can stare at it directly comfortably, and it is lower than any other light I've had. The only differences I've noticed with my v10a in using a 14500 vs. an 'aa' battery is that the high is insanely brighter.

Also, from what I understand the only difference between the v10a, the v10r, and the v20a is just the body that holds the batteries. The heads are supposedly the same.

The more I use my v10a, the more I like it.

Racer

Enlightened
That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks, kkeyser :)

I'm still on the fence about the V10A versus the SC51. I want a variable brightness AA light as a camping lantern but the V10A isn't really efficient or compact enough for what I'm looking for with the the backpacking I want to start doing this summer. Heh, maybe I need both. Or maybe the Xeno instead as a comprimise. Such a hard choice.

I did pull the trigger on an R10A though today. I was starting to think that SWM wouldn't ever sell them separately.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my PA10 today. I've just played it for a couple of hours and I'm happy with the way it works.
I've only tried it with a Eneloop 2000 MhA as I don't have a Li-ion charger yet.

As it was to be expected, it's floody.

I was a bit surprised to see more rings visible on the beam than with the PA20. They are only visible you keep the light close against a white wall, I'd say they are discernible if the flashlight is 1 m (roughly 3 ft) away from the wall or closer. Still, I was expecting a the beam to spread out more evenly despite of the smooth reflector. I'm not sure if I wasn't lucky with this particular flashlight or if the rings are more visible than with the PA20 because of the XML. In any case, it's not as big a deal as it might sound: as I said they only show if you are very very close to a white wall.

The tint is greenish, again more than the PA20 but not significanltly more. Not sur if this has to do with the LED or if it rather my PA10.
Any PA10 owner willing willing to chime in?

Body and finish are excellent. It's powerful enough and on high (140 lms) actually seems even a bit brighter than my Klarus XT1A (150 lms).

I'm planning to post my "2 lumens" with pics some time next week! If anybody has questions I'll try to answer them in the meanwhile.

jellyfish

Newly Enlightened
I love my PA10 as its pure tactical, nothing this small at this price comes near blinding 650, i carry a Lith or Enloop if the need arises. Great light .