JETBeam PA10

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone knows the amp draw of the PA10 at 650 lumens? Is it safe for a 14500? I know the RRT0 XML is too high for an RCR123 at 550. Hope the 14500 can handle a little more drain.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone knows the amp draw of the PA10 at 650 lumens? Is it safe for a 14500? I know the RRT0 XML is too high for an RCR123 at 550. Hope the 14500 can handle a little more drain.

Probably not. AW ICR 14500 and AW ICR 16340 both have the same 750 mAh capacity. If it's not safe for one it's probably not safe for the other. To output 650 lumens, the PA10 is definitely pulling much more than the safe maximum discharge rate of 1.5 amps for ICR cells of that size.

Solution: Use IMR cells only. An AW IMR 14500 can handle up to 5 amps draw I think. It should easily be able to safely handle the draw from the PA10. Just make sure you don't let the light run all the way down as the IMR cells have no protection. And only run it at max in short bursts in your hand as heat could be a real issue.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
So what battery can be used with no issues to give you the full use of the XML?

This is my first attempt at running a unprotected cell. Kinda don't want it to blow up in my hand and take some fingers with it.

Sent from my LTE 64GB iPad using Tapatalk HD

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW protected 14500 seems to be performing fine on my PA10. I say "seems" because I have no way to measure the lumens but when I compare it to my XT2C and PC20 both with fresh batteries, I can see it is brighter. It's an approximation but it tells me a AW protected 14500 is working fine.

I have no way to tell if the umprotected AW IMR 14500 gives better runtimes or more lumens. IMO, even if does I have reason to doubt it will perform significantly better - e.g.: much brighter or much longer runtimes so I have no reason to use unprotected cells, much more so since so far I only have FW 139 charger. Maybe since you have the Pila you can give it a try. Protected cells are generally speaking safer though.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I just figured since it's said that protected cells don't support such high current draw, that they weren't suitable for high current draw lights such as high lumen XML lights.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

matamosca

Newly Enlightened
I registered on this site in order to say "Thanks" for supplying good info about the JET-Beam PA10. This was the first thread listed after a Google search of your site. However, I also wanted to say that my PA10 (received this morning) also allows cycling through the "User-defined" modes with AW 14500 battery installed. I hadn't expected this (after reading this thread) but am very pleased about this. Maybe the newer models now have this feature enabled, while the original models didn't?

The PA10 is a replacement for my Zebralight SC50+, which stopped working after 7 months. Kudos to Flashaholics, who offered me a free replacement after Zebralight had failed to respond to the warranty claim after almost 3 months.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, I also wanted to say that my PA10 (received this morning) also allows cycling through the "User-defined" modes with AW 14500 battery installed. I hadn't expected this (after reading this thread) but am very pleased about this. Maybe the newer models now have this feature enabled, while the original models didn't?

That's very interesting but also very strange: I'd imagine JetBeam would advertise if newer batches of PA10s would have access to all modes when running on a 14500.
Maybe you just used a new AW 14500 without charging it first and it was nearly out of juice?

matamosca

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you just used a new AW 14500 without charging it first and it was nearly out of juice?

You're right. I'd inserted the 14500 that I took out of my SC50+ before returning it, without charging it first. Last night I used my PA10 (on low power) and the battery died after a couple of minutes so I changed to my backup 14500. Although this hadn't been charged for several months, it obviously had retained its charge well enough, as with the fresher battery installed my PA10 no longer allowed cycling through the different modes. Sorry, I jumped the gun on my initial report. Another obvious difference I noticed: my PA10 died with no warning when the battery ran down whereas my SC50+ used to ramp down for a short time before dying.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a PA10 and I'm really liking it. I only use NiMH AA cells and don't own a single 14500 nor do I plan on getting one so it's a non-issue for me. IMHO the way this light has its modes set up (tighten for high, loosen to choose modes) is what 4Sevens should have done with their Tactical series.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI on the PA10 is not bad at all - I like the fact that it has memory on the daily mode.
Together with the forward clicky it's what makes me like this light as much or slightly better than the Fenix LD10.
I would have personally preferred a XP-G R5 instead of the XM-L T6 though and all modes available on the 14500 even it would have meant half the current lumen on a Li-ion battery.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally I got the PA10. Ordered it from SBflashlights with -$17,49 discount.

Short impression:

Very nice gray finish and the light provides a really high quality feeling. More floody beam than Fenix LD10, I find the beam profile perfect for this kind of light. No doubt: PA10 is the brightest 1AA light I ever experienced until now, as well with AA and 14500! And I find the 55lm mode to be very good allround mode.
Then I tried with a fresh charged AW 14500. Yes; this is amazingly bright for that sized light! But not regulated with 14500 as we know: I noticed with the lightmeter the brightness drops pretty fast the first minutes. If the initial brightness is 650lm it drops below 500lm within a few minutes.

The bad: cycling through the brightness modes is impossible without passing strobe and SOS, really annoying!

The good: in opposite to Fenix LD10 and Xeno E03 it has momentary on.
Memory: at night I can use it at the night stand with 1lm mode, and change to 55lm mode for daytime.

I am very pleased with PA10. The tint is cool white and could be more neutral, but still nothing really bad. The tint of the neutral Xeno E03 would be awesome!

Without any doubt PA10 is the finest 1AA light I have ever owned! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........The bad: cycling through the brightness modes is impossible without passing strobe and SOS, really annoying!
............Without any doubt PA10 is the finest 1AA light I have ever owned! :thumbsup:

I bought one with the Black Friday sales and I have to agree with you on "The bad". That is so annoying that I have already resold mine. It was so disappointing because I did a run time test with my data logging light meter and it has been the most efficient single AA light to date out of about a dozen of well known lights that I've tested.

I might have preferred an OP reflector but could live without it to get the run time performance. I don't use 14500 though I did check it out. I'd just use it for the 1AA light it is.

So disappointing to have such high expectations and then have to cycle through the Strobe and SOS. The other really annoying aspect is that it would not hold memory if you had the head tightened and then used the light with momentary presses...........you're actually cycling the memory for the next time you go into "user defined" mode (head loosened).

I bought a PA20 also and it would never hold memory. Always cycled to the next mode regardless. And I suspect something might be wrong with it. So kind of off to a bad start for me with Jetbeam. I love my PA40 though...........one of my favorite lights.........totally works differently.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one with the Black Friday sales and I have to agree with you on "The bad". That is so annoying that I have already resold mine. It was so disappointing because I did a run time test with my data logging data meter and it has been the most efficient single AA light to date out of about a dozen of well known lights that I've tested.

I might have preferred an OP reflector but could live without it to get the run time performance. I don't use 14500 though I did check it out. I'd just use it for the 1AA light it is.

So disappointing to have such high expectations and then have to cycle through the Strobe and SOS. The other really annoying aspect is that it would not hold memory if you had the head tightened and then used the light with momentary presses...........you're actually cycling the memory for the next time you go into "user defined" mode (head loosened).

I bought a PA20 also and it would never hold memory. Always cycled to the next mode regardless. And I suspect something might be wrong with it. So kind of off to a bad start for me with Jetbeam. I love my PA40 though...........one of my favorite lights.........totally works differently.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! You are right, actually I didn't notice that! Even if it demands fast momentary presses it's still bad. Anyway I just think that when I am aware of these issues I will avoid them. Despite it's drawbacks I like PA10 more than Fenix LD10. But I hope that it will come out a better 1AA light. Simpleness is best I think!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually multimode AA-lights provide decent runtime at all modes except the highest using alkalines(if the second highest is half or less). Therefore I, as usual with AA-lights, measured the runtime, the battery was IKEA alkaline. Exp. date: 2017-01-30. My result was 2hours 36minutes flat output at 55lm before it ran out of regulation. Not close to the stated runtime for NiMh cell, but anyway.
The 55lm mode works good for most purposes at close distance and the wide hotspot is perfect.

Last edited: