Just ONE Survival Flashlight

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the broad voltage 0.9-4.2V AA lights these day can give you a lot of battery options.

- 3.7V Li-ions ~ 800 mah
- 3.0V Li primaries ~ 1500 mah, CRAAa/14505s ~ equiv of a CR123
- 1.5V Li primaries L91 ~ 3000 mah,
- 1.2V NiMh ~ 2000 mah Eneloops
- 1.5V Alkalines ~ 3000 mah w/ low drain modes, ~700 mah w/ high drain modes

Including the ability to scavenge all those 1.5V AAAs and 9Vs (6xAAAAs), found in tons of household devices.

But yeah, if you're stuck with only one flashlight batt.. 18650s is hard to beat.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one yet but if what is usually reported about the armytek predator is true then it sounds like a great 1 battery, no resupply light. The doubled circuitry with failsafe firefly mode is a nice detail. You can do a Lot with firefly when the alternative is pitch black.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
So I guess 18650's are still the way to go if I've only one light and one battery at hand.

A bigger, longer light might also prove useful in certain situations.

The wind-ups also look very interesting. I've yet to see an ipx-8 wind-up though. Maybe lights with built-in solar panels are easier to waterproof as compared to wind-ups.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have a lighter so i could make fire on a stick :)
I can survive the darkness, but not the cold.

cal..45

Enlightened
Most lighters won't work in the cold at all. A fire steel is a much better way to start a fire, just make sure to have enough tinder. No joke, I always have a handful tampons in my bag when I'm out in the wild :) . Haven't found anything yet that is cheaper and works better.

cheers

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lighters won't work in the cold at all.
Lol sure they will. You have them in your pocket close to your body. And if the lighter is cold, (like the ones i got in my car). i heat it in my hand for like 30 sek, and it will light. I smoke, and live in the artic, so i should know :) Wet lighters, no problem. I like the lighters because i dont need tinder. Someting that can be hard to find a cold or wet winterday. To pull some frozen bark of a tree is a fast way to start a fire. But it wont ignite with a firesteel. A lighter last me a long time, usually loose them before i can use any of them up.

I bet tampons are not a cheap way of making a fire for a smoker :) 10 tampons a day for a year, cant be cheaper or better than one lighter :) (i do have firesteel, but i think a lighter is both faster and better, even at winter when it's freezing cold outside)

braddy

Enlightened
So I guess 18650's are still the way to go if I've only one light and one battery at hand.

A bigger, longer light might also prove useful in certain situations.

The wind-ups also look very interesting. I've yet to see an ipx-8 wind-up though. Maybe lights with built-in solar panels are easier to waterproof as compared to wind-ups.

A Nightstar shake light is the ultimate survival light for a world without batteries, and it is waterproof.

The company is modest when they describe, it does better than they claim, as far as run time.

dss_777

Enlightened
I'd take that 4D Maglight, hollow it out, and stuff it with a Malkoff MD2 with M61LLL drop in. Then, I'd fill up the rest of the space with spare CR123 batteries. You'd end up with useable high and low light output, insane run-time (weeks and weeks), in a rock-solid light.

The Maglight shell could be useful as described above, and as a great club when filled with sand.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol sure they will. You have them in your pocket close to your body. And if the lighter is cold, (like the ones i got in my car). i heat it in my hand for like 30 sek, and it will light. I smoke, and live in the artic, so i should know :) Wet lighters, no problem. I like the lighters because i dont need tinder. Someting that can be hard to find a cold or wet winterday. To pull some frozen bark of a tree is a fast way to start a fire. But it wont ignite with a firesteel. A lighter last me a long time, usually loose them before i can use any of them up.

I bet tampons are not a cheap way of making a fire for a smoker :) 10 tampons a day for a year, cant be cheaper or better than one lighter :) (i do have firesteel, but i think a lighter is both faster and better, even at winter when it's freezing cold outside)

And if you are in a hurry you can cup a butane lighter in your hand so that one hand cups it in place while you rub your hands together, using The Force... the friction of your non cupping hand will raise the lighter's temp rapidly.

DTF

Enlightened
Maybe this Vortex Underwater Crank Flashlight. It's a waterproof handcrank flashlight and it also has an output jack for recharging cell phones, etc. That's a pretty handy advantage.

koenfm

Newly Enlightened
A survival light is the light you have on you when you need it, so in my case a Fenix LD01 R4 I always carry on my neck. If I'm lucky and haven't lost my jacket or bag, there's a Nitecore D11.2 and/or a LD22 in there.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1L (two mode)

I like stupid simplicity and ruggedness over features. Plus, if you use your light for an average of 2 hours per night, the 48 hours of runtime will last you 24 days.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1L (two mode)

I like stupid simplicity and ruggedness over features. Plus, if you use your light for an average of 2 hours per night, the 48 hours of runtime will last you 96 days.

Me thinks you need to replace the battery...... on your calculator. ;-)

braddy

Enlightened
A survival light is the light you have on you when you need it, so in my case a Fenix LD01 R4 I always carry on my neck. If I'm lucky and haven't lost my jacket or bag, there's a Nitecore D11.2 and/or a LD22 in there.

That is awesome light power, and battery life.

I currently carry the old LOD-CE on my key chain, and a new LD12 on my belt.

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
A Nightstar shake light is the ultimate survival light for a world without batteries, and it is waterproof.

The company is modest when they describe, it does better than they claim, as far as run time.

Indeed. In fact I just found that one of my nearby Ace Hardware stores still had the gen3 in stock and incorrectly priced at $12.99 instead of $39.99. I cleaned them out.

braddy

Enlightened
That is an incredible find.

I got mine at a garage sale and after playing with it for a while, became a true believer, it is the real version of a shakelight, military standards.