Just some Incans

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all boils down to individual ability.
A 6 d loaded with heavy nimh cells is no issue for me to swing.
Gotta use something matched to your capability.
Mom had a 7c to carry when she walked at night.
She never needed to use it other than as a light.
And yes she could swing it if necessary.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if you could imagine when I was in Jr High I had access to a Ruger MKII Target and these CCI rounds that were hypersonic and split into three pieces on impact and Remington Vipers if something was behind cover, say some sheet metal or drywall. Could hit a tin can at 100 metres 11/11 times rapidly. This calibre was popular with Israeli air marshals and that just happened to be where my training came from back then. Unloaded chambre, rack slide/bolt as you draw and double tap, or 1, 1, 2, and 1, and 1 if shooting mutiple targets, etc.

In high school I upgraded to Glock 27 with access to battle rifles such as SKS but no training on long guns other than hunting/comp stuff but I guess accurate fire is better than nothing.

A short time later I get another Glock with a rail. Of course I get a GTL10 to put on it. Seeing a target at night is important and probably as close as I get to weaponising a light. I ran 124gr JHP 9mm +P so thats 16 in the gun and another 99 in 33 sticks in my pocket because if you need to shoot you might as well have plenty of lead to be generous with.

Eventually I get a CCW permit. Which trains you not to brandish, kill the trouble maker, and don't run after them and gun them down, oh and use a lot of rounds.

At that point I move up to carrying FN 5.7 because chances are my problems wear a vest. Thats 21 rounds of armour piercing ammo that is effective at 300 metres if my skill level was that high but still pawning things at 100 metres though. And I can carry 101 rounds on my person along with a very untactical Petzl headlamp that isn't going to be used during contact.

I airsoft frequently with my buddies one of which is a former serviceman for some force on force training but still a bit lacking.

At some point it is suggested I can't own guns but if you are already breaking very many laws that isn't so much of problem.

I move up to Kalashnikov and Minimi but the guns don't make a man so I get some training and learn some better tactics from ???? I can now manage maybe 200 metres with these weapons. I put a Zenitco on the kalash but really fro night use I didn't wanna attract some fire so I got Gen3 NVGs. I was planning on getting an IR device but they are sketchy to use if your enemy is also using NVG so I guess use right before pulling the trigger. I also had a Fab baton and took training on it as to not hurt someone behind me or damage things other than your target when swinging it. Probably only good when not wanting to attract attention with gunshots.

I really don't think of using lights as weapons even if I've put them on guns. At night chances are the action is up close and you wont need one anyways and don't some LEOs train to hold the light over your head as it attracts bullets?

Now for lights I sure do like using them for all sorts of illumination tasks and I haven't once used one in an SD encounter. Maybe some policemen here have but there are better tools for the task. If you don't have a gun or a bayonet you can possibly think oh this situation is dangerous maybe I should leave. Or have a better tool for defense than a light that is shorter than a baton and has a larger surface area that distributes the energy. It seems if police is moving away from lights as a weapons and safer batons. My cop neighbour showed me his rubber baton he used that was safer than the old metal types. Remember a lot of tactical stuff is more marketing to sell products than solid advice.

Just my 0.02$

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Could hit a tin can at 100 metres 11/11 times rapidly."
Since you did not say you used an optic or a rest, this is a questionable claim. What do you define as "rapidly"? How many ranging shots did you take before this accomplishment? Was this tin can the size of a Buick? Maybe you could provide strong video evidence of this boast.

The institution I worked for in the '80's provided a 6 (or 7) Maglite for us to patrol. All the other security personnel used them. (The Mags were missing the rubber cover to the switches but activation was no problem, just maybe a little slower). While they were lugging that weight around, causing a substantial imbalance to their walk, I was hands free with the angled, 3 C cell B-Lite (Streamlight later) tucked under my belt in the back. This allowed me to ride my mountain bike as well as walk miles more than the other employees. I used ambient light to navigate while the others were limited by the spot illumination from their clubs. No one was allowed to carry a firearm.

Guaranteed I was faster on the swing than anyone could hope to limber up one of those long Maglites.

What was the name of that movie from the '90's? Oh yeah, The Quick and the Dead.

If a person feels better with a big one, great.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
"Could hit a tin can at 100 metres 11/11 times rapidly."
Since you did not say you used an optic or a rest, this is a questionable claim. What do you define as "rapidly"? How many ranging shots did you take before this accomplishment? Was this tin can the size of a Buick? Maybe you could provide strong video evidence of this boast.

The institution I worked for in the '80's provided a 6 (or 7) Maglite for us to patrol. All the other security personnel used them. (The Mags were missing the rubber cover to the switches but activation was no problem, just maybe a little slower). While they were lugging that weight around, causing a substantial imbalance to their walk, I was hands free with the angled, 3 C cell B-Lite (Streamlight later) tucked under my belt in the back. This allowed me to ride my mountain bike as well as walk miles more than the other employees. I used ambient light to navigate while the others were limited by the spot illumination from their clubs. No one was allowed to carry a firearm.

Guaranteed I was faster on the swing than anyone could hope to limber up one of those long Maglites.

What was the name of that movie from the '90's? Oh yeah, The Quick and the Dead.

If a person feels better with a big one, great.
Was thinking the same thing Ruger MKII at 100 meters on a tin can with open sights is questionable.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was thinking the same thing Ruger MKII at 100 meters on a tin can with open sights is questionable.
A little over 100mm x 73mm sized can. I don't see how that is so amazing when people all the time hit a clay pidgeon that fly through the air and it is much bigger target than the steel rams I was shooting at 100 yards.

Since you did not say you used an optic or a rest, this is a questionable claim.

No optic, open adjustable sights the stock ones found on MKII Target. See pic I found online. No ransom rest or sandbags.

What do you define as "rapidly"?

I would guess maybe 11 in 20 seconds. Which was a higher rate than I noticed when shooting comps with .22 rifles. Of course this is with a selfloading pistol with minimal recoil. The FN 5.7 is along those lines too but I was much slower with it.

How many ranging shots did you take before this accomplishment?

That matters little or possibly not at all. Once the gun is sighted in and you can use it over a long period of time with repeatable results unless you switch ammo, get a new lot, or the sight somehow loses alignment.

Was this tin can the size of a Buick?

Hardly average size. That said I once had an HK P30 .40 that I couldn't hit a 55 gal drum with at 25 yards. It went to the gun show. The grip was ergonomic but it was somehow useless.

Maybe you could provide strong video evidence of this boast.

I wish.

Attachments

• 89F4AA7A-4F83-4B4F-88E7-5A1418D15758.png
    89F4AA7A-4F83-4B4F-88E7-5A1418D15758.png
    620 KB · Views: 24

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that this is a letschat thread, and he took a tangent...

Wind drift on a 22 lr bullet is substantial. Irregular wind would guarantee no success unless one had telepathic abilities. Holdover would require so much that I would be interested in your method. Did you have a mental picture of barrel and receiver, aligning the front sight on the target?

Long ago I had a used High Standard Supermatic Trophy .22lr with barrel weights and compensator (kind of silly). Sweet machine but could not consistently do what you are saying you did (5%?). Foolishly traded it.

In the 70's I paid for through my father a satin nickel .45 Colt Combat Commander that would not pattern decent for Anyone. Got most of the value out of it in trade.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
See #2. Sights aligned below the target just so slightly as to see all of it. Instead of in the middle as with an optic.

I sold or traded nearly all my guns except ones that were stolen, missing, or seized. Either way I ended up nogunz.

After seeing that guns didn't get better as time went on I from time to time wish I had kept some better quality ones. Like a 70s S&W wasn't as good as a 2016 S&W.

Even spending a lot on guns wasn't a guarantee of quality either. The new designs I look at from time to time don't seem to interest me. It is as if the golden era of firearms is over too.

Attachments

• 9D924CB3-F6BD-47A4-9F4D-4301B2583A7A.jpeg
    9D924CB3-F6BD-47A4-9F4D-4301B2583A7A.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 24

thermal guy

Flashaholic
See #2. Sights aligned below the target just so slightly as to see all of it. Instead of in the middle as with an optic.

I sold or traded nearly all my guns except ones that were stolen, missing, or seized. Either way I ended up nogunz.

After seeing that guns didn't get better as time went on I from time to time wish I had kept some better quality ones. Like a 70s S&W wasn't as good as a 2016 S&W.

Even spending a lot on guns wasn't a guarantee of quality either. The new designs I look at from time to time don't seem to interest me. It is as if the golden era of firearms is over too.
Looks like you hit high just above the bullseye 😁