L.E.D. Bulb assembly for the Surefire P90

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
What's a good LED bulb assembly for a Surefire P90? I've seen on ebay a bulb called the CREE R2 that boasts 290 lumens. Is it the real deal or just hype? Right now I just use the incandescent bulbs from Surefire but as you can imagine, this is getting a bit pricey. I'd like to switch to an LED bulb, but want one with the most bang for my buck. I thought about switching to the P60L, but I didn't want to sacrifice 25 lumens. I look forward to your questions, comments and/or snide remarks.

Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are 2 different CREE R2 bulbs: the first just had one output setting and the other had five different settings. I would prefer only one output setting. I mention the CREE R2 the most because I see it advertised everywhere. If you know any other brands that you reccomend please let me know.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
DCP117 - Welcome to CPF :wave:

I have a SF 9P and I put a SolarForce R2 LED in it and it works well. From what I have heard, the multi-mode versions do not support the higher voltages that you may get if you use 3 x RCR123s. The single mode light supposedly can, but I'm using LiFePO 3.0V rechargeables, so I'm not sure. In any case, the light is very bright and the runtime should be longer than the incan bulb. It was about $25 when I bought it. You can now get the R2 from DX for around $15 (I think.) You can check them out. Good luck.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight make a P60 drop in module which will fit into a Surefire C3 and 9P. I have the one stage Q5 with smooth reflector and it can handle up to 16v. This L.E.D. is driven harder than the R2 drop ins, which can be found everywhere. My Dereelight module has about the same output as my R2 module. This is because the R2 module is running at around 6A, which means, the 290 lumens claimed is not possible. The Dereelight module is run at around 1A and the runtime is far better than the standard SF P90 module. If you don't mind a little modding, you can put the R2 L.E.D. into the Dereelight module for lots of power. The lumen rating for this is around 260 and very bright.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
It's not an R2, but the Malkoff unit can also be run at 9v safely (primaries only!). I have one in a weapon mounted 9P because of the beam quality. I haven't tried the R2 drop-ins, but many of the other Q5s are ringy and that is not what I want for my weapon application (why I use Gene's product).

If you only care about raw output, the R2s are the current, p60/P90, LED, drop-in, king of the hill.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful in your dealings with DX.
Use a US dealer if you can.
I second the suggestion to use the Malkoff drop in. It is first rate in EVERY way.
The beam quality is fantastic. The Build quality is very good.
The brightness is exelant. Compared to anything at Dealextreme the Malkoff drop in is no comparson.
It is like comparing sunny delight (fake OJ) to fresh squeezed orange juice.
Yaesumofo