La Crosse Technology BC1000 reviews? Experiences?

DasFriek

Newly Enlightened
For a second there i thought i was gonna have to upgrade my charger to the newer higher specced and feature packed new version, But i just get it in black? Ill have to think that over as i do prefer black over blue'ish-grey.
BC9009 or BC1000 either way its a great charger.

MarioJP

Enlightened
I am still stuck on whats the difference?? I even compared the two PDF's side by side and yet only difference different wording meaning the same thing. "ton of new accessories" what?? lol. Its 10-12 bucks more. Reviews are in at amazon.

"
By
James H. Moss "Jim" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo..._bdg_help?ie=UTF8&nodeId=14279681&pop-up=1#RNThis review is from: La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger (Misc.)

I've used the predecessor to this model for years and loved it and when I saw the new one I had to jump on it. The first benefit is it tells you if your rechargeable battery is dead or rechargeable. When you have a battery that is on its last leg you can discharge and refresh the battery to get more life out of it. My rechargeable batteries last longer with this charger because the charger charges the battery as needed, keeping the battery from over heating. When the battery is fully charged the charger tells you how much charge each battery has allowing you to put the right battery in the right piece of equipment."

huh??

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I have the charger and all I can say is that it works as advertised. I have never used the other model so I can't say if there are any differences. It is 500 miles away right now but if anyone would like me to check any functions or anything just LMK. I would be happy to when I get back to Texas.

Sent from Colby's Samsung Infuse 4G

carrier82

Newly Enlightened
I found this on the net:
http://www.accupower.at/iq328_en.php

AFAIK Accupower IQ128 = LaCrosse BC700, IQ228=BC900, but what is this? Any experiences with this one? Seems to have similar properties as BC900, but lacks the buttons to configure individual cell charging. I bought one off Amazon.de and have done a bit testing with it, but can't say much yet. Voltage termination seems to be higher than MH-C9000's.

MarioJP

Enlightened
oh its 1000 that doesn't make any sense. Isn't it suppose to be 10000 since its suppose to be "higher" than the bc9009?? So if it's really BC-900 whats with the 9? I am confused:confused::confused:

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 of the BC-900 chargers and they have worked flawlessly for years - I really like the chargers and how they work. This new BC-1000 just seems like a newer revision with exactly the same features - hopefully LaCrosse will avoid bad reviews & comments by keeping a tight rein on quality control so that no meltdowns occur with this model.

It would be interesting to find out if any components have been changed or added - maybe some safeguards against meltdown have been put in?

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I have 2 of the BC-900 chargers and they have worked flawlessly for years - I really like the chargers and how they work. This new BC-1000 just seems like a newer revision with exactly the same features - hopefully LaCrosse will avoid bad reviews & comments by keeping a tight rein on quality control so that no meltdowns occur with this model.

It would be interesting to find out if any components have been changed or added - maybe some safeguards against meltdown have been put in?

That is what I am hoping. BTW La Crosse Tech never replied to my email. I guess they don't care about other potential customers? There's little to no info about this "new" charger anywhere. How hard could it possibly be to at least post if there are any differences between the two on their website? I'm glad the product hasn't disappointed me yet because the company behind it is.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I am hoping. BTW La Crosse Tech never replied to my email. I guess they don't care about other potential customers? There's little to no info about this "new" charger anywhere. How hard could it possibly be to at least post if there are any differences between the two on their website? I'm glad the product hasn't disappointed me yet because the company behind it is.
LaCrosse does not do customer service. This has been one of their traits for a long time.

MarioJP

Enlightened

Your best bet is to try to call them at least someone will answer.

rcozer

Newly Enlightened
Amazon reviewer "NLee the Engineer" has a good review on the BC1000. He owns and has reviewed the La Crosse BC-900, BC-700, BC-500 and the Maha MH-C9000. His favorite is the BC-900.

Summarized excerpts from NLee:
The BC-1000 may look exactly like the older BC-900 and BC-9009 from outside, but there is significant design overhaul that took place inside with extra controller 'glop' and four bulky thru-hole diodes ('B220' 2A 20V Schottky diode) on the PCB. The overhaul is probably to address thermal-related problems.

Amazon reviewer "Chris in SC" charged 3 sets of 4 Eneloops while monitoring with a temperature gun in an effort to find a good compromise between charging/discharging time and heat. With 1 set of cells, he observered the 127.4 degrees F cutoff and automatic resumption after cooling.

Read the original reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...owViewpoints=1

Disclaimer: I am not a hardware engineer. I'm reading technical reviews to find a low cost, smaller smart charger to measure battery capacity (like the BC700).

Diablo_331

Enlightened
BC-1000 = BC-9009
The same PCB and Firmware http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?307948-La-Crosse-changed-design-BC-9009
It's just proof that it's renaming ONLY
Where is your claimed "proof"? I see no evidence in the thread that you linked proving that the BC-1000 is the same as the BC-9009. Only a claim made by you that based on the manuals that they are the same. It's already been established that the manuals are the same. That doesn't necessarily mean that the two products are. Not bashing, but if you have a source to your information then I and many others would like to see it.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
А you compare PCB photos?;)
They are the same.
Firmware are the same too - 37
It are the same products

I happen to follow "NLee the Engineer" reviews on amazon as he and I have alot of the same tastes in products. He is an excellent reviewer that I trust. I'm sorry that it seems like I am taking his side when very little knowledge on the subject myself but I am doing so because his reviews have been spot on for me in the past. He says that there are differences between the BC-900/9009 and the BC1000. Until someone can PROVE him otherwise, I'll be siding with him.:sssh:

Amazon reviewer "NLee the Engineer" has a good review on the BC1000. He owns and has reviewed the La Crosse BC-900, BC-700, BC-500 and the Maha MH-C9000. His favorite is the BC-900.

Summarized excerpts from NLee:
The BC-1000 may look exactly like the older BC-900 and BC-9009 from outside, but there is significant design overhaul that took place inside with extra controller 'glop' and four bulky thru-hole diodes ('B220' 2A 20V Schottky diode) on the PCB. The overhaul is probably to address thermal-related problems.
His review should be read in it's entirety. It was already linked in this thread but here it is again. http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Mikl1984

Newly Enlightened
NLee haven't last generation BC-9009:)
I have new version and made very deep comparison between old BC-900/9009 and new BC-9009
NLee just confirm my prediction that new version of BC-9009 from 2010 is identical to new ;) BC-1000

rcozer

Newly Enlightened
1 vote for Mikl1984's observation in that La Crosse BC-9009 and BC-1000 are identical :thumbsup:

Summary of BC-9009 vs BC-1000:
Same firmware version 37 in both BC-9009 and BC-1000.
Similiar (if not same) PCB layout in both BC-9009 and BC-1000.
Note: BC-900 has less circuitry than BC-9009.

BC-900%25252C%252520BC-9009%25252C%252520BC-1000.jpg

References:
Mikl1984: BC-9009 http://goo.gl/eEGJr (scroll up)
NLee: BC-900 and BC-1000 http://goo.gl/AKg6Z

Opinions:
1. If indeed this is just a renaming of the model then I suspect it has something to do with Amazon's grouping of BC-900 and BC-9009 reviews under the same product. The new product tag BC-1000 would enable a new list of reviews.

2. Though it seems the frequency of reports about the BC-900/BC-9009 melting issue is much lower, there was one from Gadget Nut in June 2011 http://goo.gl/5YyQW. I have read the the forum threads regarding the design of the BC-900 power supply, mosfets, issues with aging batteries, etc and the poll on which La Crosse models melted http://goo.gl/AEUq2. This is a great forum with lots of good information exchanged.

3. Personally, I like best value deals. Given that no charger will last forever, my choice is "lower featured" smart chargers in the $20 to $30 range like those favored by NLee on Amazon or photographers with DSLR flashes.

Last edited: