La Crosse Technology BC1000 reviews? Experiences?

rcozer

Newly Enlightened
Gadget Nut posted his meltdown pictures (Jun 2011) of the BC-9009 which was bought in Mar 2011.

Here is the link to Gadget Nut's pictures http://goo.gl/k4Zlb

It shows:
- Melted covers on 4 Powerex Imedion AA batteries
- Warped back cover of BC-9009 (clearly identifying the model number)
- Warped front bays of BC-9009
- Picture of AC adaptor (with Roman number IV)

Last edited:

beegdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

I just bought a BC-1000 a few days ago.

Was comparing between the BC-1000 (the 900 was out of stock in Amazon) and the C9000 but eventually decided to go with the 1000 as I didn't want the backlight.

I've been charging and testing my AA inventory over the past few days and haven't burnt down my home yet.

Some of my AAA batteries registered 50mah @ 1.0V...

beegdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Just an update to share what I've been doing for the last few days.

Over the past few years, I've bought quite a fair bit of different brands for my camera, flash and son's toy trains...

• Eneloop 2100mah
  • GP Recyko 2100mah
  • Energizer 2400mah
  • Imedion 2400mah
  • Sony Cycle 2700mah
All the cells had never been tested for their capacity (until now).

So what I did was:

1. TEST all my AA and AAA batteries at 1A charging rate to get their actual capacity mah
2. If the TEST cycle shows capacity is at least 80% of stated capacity, the battery is classified "OK" and put aside
3. Otherwise, the cell undergoes DISCHARGE/REFRESH after all other cells have completed steps 1 and 2

In general, I found using the charger to be extremely easy. The setting of the charging current and functions was a cinch and I found myself cycling through the display almost as often as I would check my handphone for SMSes.

But one thing I noticed was that the unit resets itself whenever I pulled out a battery that fit my 80% criteria before it registered FULL. It happened twice (I set the setting of all 4 slots together) and the other 3 cells defaulted to 200mA and CHARGE.

Due to the 1A charging rate, the charger does run a little hotter but nothing that can't be dealt with by a fan.

I'm quite pleased that I'm now able to test my cells and am actually finding out more how to pair the cells optimally so that I can get maximum mileage out of them.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
But one thing I noticed was that the unit resets itself whenever I pulled out a battery that fit my 80% criteria before it registered FULL. It happened twice (I set the setting of all 4 slots together) and the other 3 cells defaulted to 200mA and CHARGE.

Thanks for the follow-up! I'm deciding between this and the Maha C9000 and details like this are valuable. I do pull out cells this all the time with my charger and wouldn't like such a reset to happen. I rather like the display on the BC-1000 though. Meanwhile, I'm not very pleased with my Maha 808M which is turning out to be not very reliable, at least in my environment/house so I'm looking to avoid the Maha C9000 if possible.

Anyone else had similar problems with their BC-1000 or perhaps even the older BC-9009 or BC-900 models?

beegdaddy

Newly Enlightened
Here're some pics of the charger and batts that I've been charging:

WP_000190.jpg
WP_000191.jpg

I've also been pulling out some batteries (which were in the REFRESH mode) before they registered FULL but I've not gotten any resets anymore.

budynabuick

Enlightened
Thanks for the follow-up! I'm deciding between this and the Maha C9000 and details like this are valuable. I do pull out cells this all the time with my charger and wouldn't like such a reset to happen. I rather like the display on the BC-1000 though. Meanwhile, I'm not very pleased with my Maha 808M which is turning out to be not very reliable, at least in my environment/house so I'm looking to avoid the Maha C9000 if possible.

Anyone else had similar problems with their BC-1000 or perhaps even the older BC-9009 or BC-900 models?

Hello. Man i went 2 months deciding which one 2 get as i liked them both but decided 2 go with the 9000 and do not regret it one bit. I then got a 401fs (great simple charger) and i think i will also get a new lacrosse as well since one can never have 2 many batts, chargers or flashlights.

Keith

RBWNY

Enlightened
Hello. Man i went 2 months deciding which one 2 get as i liked them both but decided 2 go with the 9000 and do not regret it one bit. Keith

Don't know if this thread should be used to ask this question...............

So obviously you didn't find the "programming" of the 9000 to be too overwhelming, as others in the past have said? "too many button sequences to remember" they commented. And the display is not too restrictive, for viewing separate cell status' when you want?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if this thread should be used to ask this question...............<BR><BR>So obviously you didn't find the "programming" of the 9000 to be too overwhelming, as others in the past have said? "too many button sequences to remember" they commented. And the display is not too restrictive, for viewing separate cell status' when you want?

New poster, long lurker here, so hello.

I've been itching to get a good charger/tester for a while and did some research over the past two weeks. I had all of my ducks in a row and bought a BC-700, MaHa C9000 and some AccuPower AA/AAA batteries from an Ebay vendor. I've now fiddled with the two chargers and they each have their 'quirks' so to speak.

For the LC BC700, you have this timing segment that begins the moment you insert a battery, to shift through the modes. You have 8 seconds to figure out where you're going and then you have to hit the mode button to move off of the 'default' charge setting. You're supposed to hold the mode button down for 5 seconds to get it to move through the four choices, but mine will rotate without the 5 second press, so that's a quirky trait.

Once you've got the right mode for the first battery, you need to hit your charging current button within 8 seconds of the last button press, or you're SOL and stuck on the default 200ma setting. Now...you need to keep in mind that if you're going to charge 4 different batteries at four different rates, you need to have the 'highest rate' in bay #1, so that requires minor planning prior to starting the process. Sometimes, you start to mull over what you want to do and that 8 seconds goes by pretty fast. You need to pull that battery and start over, but this isn't anything that you don't overcome the more you use the unit.

I'm getting faster at it after a week and not geeking out, like I was on day one.

For the MaHa C9000, you have the vertical menu on the left that flashes MODE and you need to use the 'arrow' buttons to move up and down. There's a 'slot' button and 'enter' button and sometimes I found myself instinctfully hitting 'enter' before scrolling down to the desired selection, nothing major, but it took me a few tries to get the 'steps' down.

The MaHa has a nice bright screen, but you can't turn it off. How many hours is it rated for? La Crosse has no light on their display, but the text of a smaller font, so you need decent light in the room to check on things.

These are just some minor observations after a week of use. I'm glad I got both, as I a) always try and have a 'backup' and b) for what I paid for the BC-700 w/8 AccuPower AAA 1200s, it was a drop in the bucket. The BC-700 is nice because it's more of an 'idiot proof' charger in that you can't really screw your killer battery collection up, when using it, like you can with the MaHa C9000.

The MaHa has a more robust chassis, but these are electronic gizmos and you're only as strong as your weakest 5 cent Chicom resistor that's being used, so time will tell.

I decided today, that after spending $300+ on batteries, lights and chargers, I'm going to enroll in AA for a few weeks.

Chris

Last edited:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Hello. Man i went 2 months deciding which one 2 get as i liked them both but decided 2 go with the 9000 and do not regret it one bit. I then got a 401fs (great simple charger) and i think i will also get a new lacrosse as well since one can never have 2 many batts, chargers or flashlights.

Keith

I've got to admit... While flashlights are fun, playing with chargers and batteries can be too! I've been playing with chargers since the days of those bright yellow Eveready Ni-Cads! Remember those? I even had a "Buddy L" charger that claimed to be able to charge alkaline batteries by up to another 10 times! It actually did work somewhat but then some internal springs and plastic bits broke and some alkalines ended up leaking into the charger.

That's where my problem with chargers has always been: Reliability. I've got two Maha MH-C808M, one much older than the other, but three of the eight bays will no longer terminate charging probably due to internal circuit resistances or something. Mind you, the newer one had the same problem and I managed to get it replaced during the warranty period but the new unit will not have a brand new warranty and now there are signs that two bays could have termination problems on the lower charging rates. The other 6 seem okay at any charge rate. I've also had two DSD chargers for li-ion cells and both their power supplies have failed. I also have a WF-139 and that has also had problems. Can't remember what problems specifically though as I no longer use it.

The only charger that has been reliable for me are the Pila IBC chargers of which I have three. However, at close to $50 each, it's not a wonder why they're reliable: They charge at only one rate, charge only lithium chemistries, terminate at only one voltage, lack a display, have no capacity analysis function, does not cycle batteries and has only two bays and two buttons which are merely reset buttons.

For this reason, I'm considering some of those hobby chargers too like the Duratrax ICE, but chargers like those will need a separate balancer, your own charging cradle and even power supply will have to be bought separately. It's effectively a 4-product charging solution and will not be travel friendly! In time, as more and more of the mainstream start using eneloops and other LSD batteries, I'm sure economies of scale will enable higher quality, more user friendly chargers to be built at lower price points with more features, but at the moment, we're not quite there yet! Hopefully the La Crosse BC-1000 (infameously poor customer support) and Maha C9000 (will it hold up in the long run?) can change that impression for me. Mind you, both have already had histories of melting down in one form or another! Guess I'll only know in a few years!!!

In the mean time, even talking about chargers can be fun!

Last edited:

Train_Watchman

Newly Enlightened
Disclaimer: I am not a hardware engineer. I'm reading technical reviews to find a low cost, smaller smart charger to measure battery capacity (like the BC700).
I'm not an engineer, either, I'm just trying to find out if the BC1000 has any big advantage over the (less expensive) BC700. Thanks for summarizing some of NLee's comparisons. (I've read all the Amazon reviews, especially his, but after awhile it's just too hard to decide which would be the better buy. :confused: )

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one La Crosse and a Powerex MH-C9000. Off to do some more research . . .

Edit: Okay, one big difference:
BC700--Charging Current Range: 200 mAh, 500mAh, or 700mAh.
BC1000--Charging Current: Selectable charging current : 200, 500, 700 or 1000mA. When only channel 1 and/or channel 4 are used, can select up 1500 or 1800 mA.

Ah ha! :candle:

Last edited:

67L48

Newly Enlightened
[...]I'm just trying to find out if the BC1000 has any big advantage over the (less expensive) BC700. [...]

On 7/9/2012 at Amazon:
BC700 is $34
BC1000 is $60

For $26, you get:
4 AA
4 AAA
4 C spacers
4 D spacers

To buy at Amazon, these would cost $37. To me, that's a no brainer, as I need both the batteries and spacers.