Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotating the tailcap does not require two hands. This function is easily accomplished with the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the light.

This depends on the light, Most of the current multi mode models use the head as the switch.
Maelstrom 5 & 7
O light M21X
Eagletac T20C2 MKII

I know there are many more

The Fenix TK-21 and O light M20-S have a secondary button, but side switches are sometimes (almost always) in the wrong position when needed. Those who use a Magcharger or Streamlight SL-20 probably end up rotating the light around to orient the switch often

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Blackhawk Gladius and ASP Triad on the duty belt and a Scorpion and Surefire M3 Combat light in my bugout bag.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
Currently I run a Surefire G2X Tactical on the belt, but I have at least one, and sometimes two other lights on me to test out and play around with between training time.

In my last year or so on patrol I used my Streamlight SL20X with Terralux 600 lumen drop-in, an Eagletac P20A2 Mk II or Streamlight PT2AA clipped to my sap pocket, and a Streamlight PT1L on my belt. I also had/have a weapon-light on my handgun.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over my career I've carried many different lights and found they all have their pros and cons. Currently I'm carrying an HDS 170 dialed down to 85 lumens for better runtime. It's good but definitely better suited as an outdoors/camping/EDC light. Simple 'piston' switches like in the Surefire are preferable and better suited for stressful situations IMO.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Law Enforcement Duty Belt, What Do You Carry?

I am issued a Streamlight Stinger LED DS. It is pretty basic, but it is all I need most of the time.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
This depends on the light, Most of the current multi mode models use the head as the switch.
Maelstrom 5 & 7
O light M21X
Eagletac T20C2 MKII

I know there are many more

The Fenix TK-21 and O light M20-S have a secondary button, but side switches are sometimes (almost always) in the wrong position when needed. Those who use a Magcharger or Streamlight SL-20 probably end up rotating the light around to orient the switch often

TEEJ's post was specifically talking about tailcaps with a momentary only funtion with a twist for constant on or lockout. Those are the the segments I quoted and I specifically stated tailcaps in my post. I do agree, however, that twisting the head would be difficult with one hand if it had to be done quickly.

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Rotating the tailcap does not require two hands. This function is easily accomplished with the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the light.

Only problem, and why I don't use "twist for constant on" lights, is that when situations get really bad fine motor skills diminish. Even though it may seem like a simple task, the fact it involves two fingers makes it complicated (ONE of the reasons why many law enforcement agencies use Glocks - no safety to manipulate). Big button on the back of the light involves nothing but a click and the light stays on if I need to toss it in a room, down a hall, or up an attic.

That's also the reason I carry all my lights in the Blackhawk holster. No flaps, straps, buttons, velcro, etc to worry about. A quick tug and the light is out.

My current carry light is cetainly fancy, but with the trits now installed, I can find it a whole lot easier if I drop it ( I work nights exclusively), it's rechargeable, and bright. I lost my black Gladius in an alley after a foot pursuit- it was by chance one of my squad mates stumbled upon it by a dumpster and I was able to get it back.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I whole heartedly agree with you about fine motor skills. The problem is determining which motor skills and thought processes are most important. Try performing simple drills at the range such as moving and shooting with short burst of light. Then throw in reloads and clearing malfunctions. While using a soft press to momentarily turn on the flashlight, most people will inadvertently press too hard and activate constant on. Now their attention is directed to the function of the light and not on the threat. In a high stress situation something so simple can have dire consequences. If this happens during a reload or while clearing a malfunction, the officer is lit up so the bad guy knows what is happening.
Both arguments are valid and no one light will perform best in all scenarios. All I ask is that you train with your equipment and make sure it performs the way you expect it to.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I whole heartedly agree with you about fine motor skills. The problem is determining which motor skills and thought processes are most important. Try performing simple drills at the range such as moving and shooting with short burst of light. Then throw in reloads and clearing malfunctions. While using a soft press to momentarily turn on the flashlight, most people will inadvertently press too hard and activate constant on. Now their attention is directed to the function of the light and not on the threat. In a high stress situation something so simple can have dire consequences. If this happens during a reload or while clearing a malfunction, the officer is lit up so the bad guy knows what is happening.
Both arguments are valid and no one light will perform best in all scenarios. All I ask is that you train with your equipment and make sure it performs the way you expect it to.

+1 on this regarding training with your light. There are courses for just for working with lights and firearms. Shooting with a light is not the same as shooting with two hands on the grip. I use a Klarus xt11 and have an Olight m20x that I routinely train with.

GF51

Newly Enlightened
Stinger LED DS and a Safariland RLS (since only the tac guys get weaponlights) on the belt, G2 in my bag. It really shocks me that some guys I work with still have original Stingers- I click on my DS and their light all but disappears.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Absolutely, it all comes down to what you are used to...to avoid screwing up under pressure.

There ARE stories of guys pressing too hard on a momentary switch if they are trained on a momentary that doesn't click on when pushed, and goes off when released (The dead man switch)....but the ones trained to click for on or off just as reflexively click the light off as naturally as the guys who let go to turn it off.

There are guys who train the twisty UI to the point where if you give them a NON-Twisty light, they might TRY to twist it off under pressure...as muscle memory takes over, etc.

It is natural for all the nerves to prime to operate large muscle groups when your adrenaline soars, so that fine motor skills decline to prime you for battle related large muscle action...and that easy twist may suddenly become impossible...as if your fingers were paralyzed. (Obviously, every one is different, but, it is a tendency)

So, you need to train with what will be in your hands when the situation you are training FOR arises. That means that you want the light you will have to be the one you're training with. Otherwise, you'll try to twist the clicky, and click the twisty, etc. :D

I have my own dyslexic hell, I shoot lefty even though I'm right handed, because my left eye is my master eye...so I'm reversed on a lot of tasks...adding to the fun. :sick2:

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
DSC00287.jpg

Hey Cap, what's the tailcap on your light? I recognize those Modoolar parts, but I must have missed that tailcap. I love the way it all comes together!

spc smith

Enlightened
Now i just thought about this. If i am correct, the Klarus XT11, if i may speak boldly, has all light powering buttons at the tail end of the light (making it easily accessable) with no recess to guard or protect from an accidental activation. in covert operations and traversing slow movements to gain a position, this could potentially give a well staked position away in the event of the light turning on. I now know why Olight did not change the side switch of the M20S to the newer prototype switch that was slightly more raised . Its recessed for a reason, but still there just the same without complication or after thought. Just strategically placed and recessed enough away from initial contact of hand. The back any light is considered a protrusion. with enough prolonged shock, movement or accidental falls or drops, it will turn on without the users consent. This cannot happen in "STEALTH MODE".

tree7NE

Newly Enlightened
Currently I carry a Fenix TK60 in a ring, an issued Stinger on my belt, and an Olight M20 in my cargo pocket. I'd love to ditch the Stinger, but I haven't been able to find a good holster for the Olight. I tried using the supplied holster, but it just doesn't seem to hold the light securely enough.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Now i just thought about this. If i am correct, the Klarus XT11, if i may speak boldly, has all light powering buttons at the tail end of the light (making it easily accessable) with no recess to guard or protect from an accidental activation. in covert operations and traversing slow movements to gain a position, this could potentially give a well staked position away in the event of the light turning on. I now know why Olight did not change the side switch of the M20S to the newer prototype switch that was slightly more raised . Its recessed for a reason, but still there just the same without complication or after thought. Just strategically placed and recessed enough away from initial contact of hand. The back any light is considered a protrusion. with enough prolonged shock, movement or accidental falls or drops, it will turn on without the users consent. This cannot happen in "STEALTH MODE".

You are correct. The main switch on the XT is a larger round tail button which protrudes beyond the lanyard attachment points. When I pressed the tail of my XT on a flat surface and applied pressure the light did come on in momentary mode. The secondary mode/instant strobe button is smaller and sits within the protected area of the tail cap. For someone who is involved with a more military/tactical type of employment this could be a major design flaw. Since tactical situations are possible but rare for me it not as large an issue. I actually like that I can operate the XT with gloves on (northern climate). I conceed however buttons easily hit can easily be hit accidentally. A trade off I am willing to make but others may not have that luxury.

ToNIX

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with M61W, high/low ring, running on 18650.

Quark AA Tactical running on 14500 clipped on my right shoulder.

1bRNG.jpg