Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I think that's the same thing...you can use what you're used to...and if if have to use something different under pressure, you are more likely to make a mistake.

I believe that was the point, rather than what IN PARTICULAR works for an individual.

One thing we see all the time...some UI, and techniques, etc...work great in some contexts, but in other contexts, OTHER UI or techniques are better. Those who use ONE context, feel THAT UI/Technique set...is "right". So we constantly see several people who are ALL right, who all disagree with each other.

I DO see a bit of over dogmatic references to the loss of fine motor skills....It does happen, but, its not like getting hit with a curare dart every time you're in a conflict. I'd say its more like a proportioning of the body fight or flight resources, than completely losing the ability to use a particular set of muscles.

Part of the problem might be the SELLERS of certain equipment, who have a VESTED INTEREST in propagation of certain dogma...making sure that people THEY TRAIN are spreading that dogma.

If you sell a product that requires a user to do ABC, and a competitor has one that only requires you do to AC...you make DAMN WELL SURE that B is VITAL, and that leaving it off risks life and limb, or durability, or whatever you can throw at it.

:D

Its not hard to do that really...Just the afore mentioned Glock/Safety issue - "Glock Leg" and other popular stories.

Its not GLOCK making sure you heard about the guy who pulled the trigger pulling the weapon shot himself in the leg, or coined the phrase....its a competitor...with a vested interest in making SURE potential Glock buyers know that "Glock Leg" is a liability (That it can BE a liability issue, or that the time lost to WORK a safety can be, is not the point..)

:D

Same with lights...Surefire was making damn well sure "That primaries were the only batteries for ANY weapon lights" as a dogma...until of course SUREFIRE had rechargeable batteries to sell....for their (Now able to run on rechargeable) weapon lights.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
On the belt a SolarForce L2 with a XM-l U2 single mode running at 1.5amps with an AW 3100 mah 18650 battery. Threads heavily greased with 100% synthetic white marine Lithium, this light stays water proofed. In the shirt I carry a Thrunite Neutron 1C.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
One of the first lights I used as an EDC on the beat was my tiablo a9. I changed my flashlights regularly as the new leds came out and now I carry a jetbeam bc-40. It is a little bigger but I like the throw and extra runtime. A couple other lights I carried along the way were a couple of ultrafires with xpg's and r2's. Truthfully, I am at the point where I am thinking to change again. Maybe a 26650 light?

Train_Watchman

Newly Enlightened
Still got my old Streamlight SL-20 (no X, P, or L), for which I just bought a new Streamlight holster, a new NiMH battery stick, SL35 lamp module, and an Empire charger. (<http://www.batteryjunction.com/empire-streamlight-charger.html>)
Pros: Simplicity (two settings, Off and Full Blast); power. Cons: Weight; halogen bulb/reflectors aren't the most shock-resistant things ever to be put into a flashlight.

On my belt right now is an Insight H2​X Typhoon in a Blade-Tech vertical light pouch with Tek-Lok.
Pros: Power; multiple modes. Cons: Multiple modes have a "learning curve," and tailcap/mode switch is sometimes fussy, needing to be tightened "just right."

If I go back into a uniformed job, I might just stick with the SL20, and put a Flasher-Dimmer Tailcap on it.

There's also a StingerXT available as a backup, and a TerraLUX LightStar220​. The LightStar is a great little light (2xAA), so it'll probably get clipped into a pocket to keep it close at hand, while the Stinger might ride around in its 12V charger.

Light is good, even if you're on day shift. :thumbsup:

sadtimes

Enlightened
I carry a surefire Z2 (oveready haIII, 18650) with vinh xml dropin (around 1000 lumens) in a surefire v70 holster.

I carry a preon 2 in my external vest, and a nitecore extreme infinity in my cargo pocket

Edit:
2 mags in the bag for when it is search and rescue time, both SST90 builds, lotsa light

Last edited:

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
XT-11 on the belt, Paladin i6 backup on the belt, and a Jetbeam BC-40 for the serious light when needed. Other backup lights in the bailout bag: XT-10, Innova T-4, a 6P with a Thrunite XM-L drop-in...

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Don't start that off-topic crap here. Hitting the slide release is no more of a fine motor skill than taking a safety off (for those non-Glock users) or even pressing the damn trigger. The slide release is THE QUICKEST way to get your pistol back in service after slide lock. Drop the old mag, insert new one - and just LOOK where your support thumb happens to be - RIGHT BY THE SLIDE RELEASE. Use it. It is far faster than reaching back up and over the pistol to release the slide by slingshot.

I have been in LE for over 25 years as a SWAT leader, and a force-on-force instructor. I am an IDPA master, as well as a certified NRA firearms instructor. I have tought small arms techniques throughout North America and have done a lot of contract work with LE agencies in Europe.

And muscle memory and repetition absolutely supercedes "fine motor skills" any day of the week. If it doesn't, you aren't practicing enough. You will fight like you train. Period.

Wow, such arrogant and condescending remarks. Especially the "outdated and flawed" remark. This way of thinking would put law enforcement training back a couple decades. Would be happy to discuss it further once I am able to get back in the underground so as not to further derail this thread.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Wow, such arrogant and condescending remarks. Especially the "outdated and flawed" remark. This way of thinking would put law enforcement training back a couple decades. Would be happy to discuss it further once I am able to get back in the underground so as not to further derail this thread.

Hey, its all good...he and I have zero problems, discussed and resolved....no need to re-hash all that.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Just wondering if you could clarify one point for me. You state that for an overall light you like the Olight best but end by recommending the Klarus for duty work. Since you have both, why wouldn't you recommend the light you like the best for duty work? Is it the light output/beam pattern you prefer on the Olight but recommend the Klarus because of the U.I.? Thanks for the input and quick comparison by the way.

Reason being like the feel of the Olight better but mostly because for everyday needs I find the beam on the Olight to have a lot of flood vs throw. For duty work I like the reverse. I want more throw/distance and more ability to stun/blind a suspect.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Don't start that off-topic crap here. Hitting the slide release is no more of a fine motor skill than taking a safety off (for those non-Glock users) or even pressing the damn trigger. The slide release is THE QUICKEST way to get your pistol back in service after slide lock. Drop the old mag, insert new one - and just LOOK where your support thumb happens to be - RIGHT BY THE SLIDE RELEASE. Use it. It is far faster than reaching back up and over the pistol to release the slide by slingshot.

I have been in LE for over 25 years as a SWAT leader, and a force-on-force instructor. I am an IDPA master, as well as a certified NRA firearms instructor. I have tought small arms techniques throughout North America and have done a lot of contract work with LE agencies in Europe.

And muscle memory and repetition absolutely supercedes "fine motor skills" any day of the week. If it doesn't, you aren't practicing enough. You will fight like you train. Period.

+1 on these sentiments

Train_Watchman

Newly Enlightened
For duty work I like the reverse. I want more throw/distance and more ability to stun/blind a suspect.
:thumbsup: Exactly.
I still remember the first time I "froze" somebody in the beam of my SL-20. Once I determined they were just a couple of guys taking a shortcut to the [enlisted] club, I was able to answer their "Hey, what kind of light is that" questions. And by that time, they were able to see well enough to continue their hike. :D

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
It has been nice to read about cops who use lights other than Surefire and Streamlight. I got hooked on fenix several years ago and I have been using them ever since. I have a TK 21 on my belt and I use a TK 30 in my sap pocket. I had a TK 11 on my belt for two years and just recently upgraded to the TK21. +1 on lights that always come on in high mode... usually need that RIGHT NOW... if I need a low mode for vehicle search or ticket writing I usually have control of the scene and have both hands free.

Also +1 on clicky tailcaps, for me using a twisty tailcap failed more times then it worked. Wearing gloves when it is cold made finding a side switch hard with stingers, never have to look with a tail switch

Sad there are not more Fenix guys so far, most of the guys at my station have started using fenix lights and lots of other guys throughout the Dept. I even have friends from other neighboring agencies that started using Fenix once they saw the performance and the PRICE.

So far no reliability issues with any lights and I am sure you guys know how hard the average cop is on gear, one of my partners has a TK 30 that looks like it went through a cement mixer... still works great.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Reason being like the feel of the Olight better but mostly because for everyday needs I find the beam on the Olight to have a lot of flood vs throw. For duty work I like the reverse. I want more throw/distance and more ability to stun/blind a suspect.

Thanks for the clarification.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
It has been nice to read about cops who use lights other than Surefire and Streamlight.

Agreed. I find most of the folks I work with are incredibly brand loyal for anything work related. Doesn't matter if your talking boots, weapons, duty gear, foul weather gear, or flashlights most people do the "been using XXXX for years". I get why they are brand loyal, our lives can depend on this stuff after all, but I always liked checking out what other officers are using. I think I am a little more open to improvements in products and technology than most. Only time will tell if they are the ones playing it smart with their brand loyalty though.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Law Enforcement Duty Belt, What Do You Carry?

Agreed. I find most of the folks I work with are incredibly brand loyal for anything work related. Doesn't matter if your talking boots, weapons, duty gear, foul weather gear, or flashlights most people do the "been using XXXX for years". I get why they are brand loyal, our lives can depend on this stuff after all, but I always liked checking out what other officers are using. I think I am a little more open to improvements in products and technology than most. Only time will tell if they are the ones playing it smart with their brand loyalty though.

I sort of have a tendency to be brand loyal as well, as long as it has been good to me. For example:

-Glock

-Danner

-Streamlight

-Pelican

-Inova

-Chevrolet

-Motorola

-Garmin

-Uniden

-Yaesu

Conversely, if I get burned by a particular branded product, it can take me a long time to forgive. For example, I had a couple of different Ford Taurus unmarked cars several years back. They were horrible. Specifically, the transmissions did not last and had filthy fluid when it was time to do a fluid flush. So filthy, the mechanics had to do a double transmission flush. Now that I am looking for another vehicle right now in my personal life, I have avoided Ford, at least so far.

Now back to flashlights, I sort of started with off the shelf flashlights as a kid. Back the, an Eveready Captain was a good flashlight! When I got to college I tried a Tekna light. When I got to sworn police work it was Kel-Lite, Maglite, and Streamlight. The first time I saw a Streamlight SL-20 (predecessor to the SL-20X I thought, "Wow, that is almost like holding an automobile headlamp in your hand!". More recently I was issued a Streamlignt Stinger (incandescent) and several years after that I was issued a Streamlight Stinger LED DS.

I would also suggest to my fellow CPF members here that there is something to be said for common chargers. For example, I own a Streamlight Stinger that I upgraded to the TerraLUX LED and have a Streamlight Stinger LED issued from work. I own my own charger, but there are some 5 Unit Bank "Smart" Fast Chargers at work. It is pretty handy to be able to use the same chargers for my Stinger as there Stinger.

I do, however, also like to check out what other officers are using. I think that is how I ended up with the original Inova T4. I liked that it was rechargeable, I liked the newer lithium ion battery, and I liked LED. I now have the newer T4 and it is even better than the original.

I also think that brand loyalty can be tied to service and support after the sale. Sometimes it is under warranty and other times it is not. Just this winter I had issued with three lights: Inova, Pelican, and Streamlight. The Inova would no longer power on. The good thing about Inova is they offered the new T4 for a $40 upgrade charge. The bad thing was they are slow at responding to e-mails. The Pelican 7060 tailcap cracked. I contacted them and they simply sent out another one free of charge and I had it very quickly. My older Streamlight Stinger switch malfunctioned. I stopped by a Batteries Plus near me and they replaced it, free of charge to me, while I waited. That is very convenient!

Train_Watchman

Newly Enlightened
Re: Law Enforcement Duty Belt, What Do You Carry?

When I got to sworn police work it was Kel-Lite, Maglite, and Streamlight. The first time I saw a Streamlight SL-20 (predecessor to the SL-20X) I thought, "Wow, that is almost like holding an automobile headlamp in your hand!"
Jeez, somebody else who not only remembers the SL-20, but remembers Kel-Lite, too. :thumbsup:
I even have at least two pairs of Kel-Lite Firepower speedloaders for my Colt Python, and at least one pair for my Detective Special.

Speaking of which, I haven't watched "Southland," but I did see an ad for it a couple of weeks ago where the woman detective was saying something to the effect of "I haven't worn a uniform since back when we could still carry Maglites." (I recently finished reading the three most recent books in Joseph Wambaugh's Hollywood series, with all the complaining by various characters about how they had to carry "mini-lights.")
[T]he high-intensity lights set the rubber sleeves on fire and almost incinerated a few rookies before the Department recalled all of those lights and ordered these new ten-ouncers.

And that's probably all I should say about that. ;)