Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

Bullman

Newly Enlightened
Call me plain jane: Streamlight DS HP

I carry the Streamlight LED DS HP and I think it is a heck of a light, I really don't use my ultra stinger at all anymore, it stays in the car on the charger, probably fried the battery by now. I have a 3 D cell mag with a malkoff upgrade that I get out of the car on "those" kinds of calls but other than that, the Streamlight on my belt is all the light I need. I just bought a Fenix TK40 yesterday and so far it hasn't wowed me like I thought it would, compared to my DS HP.

Spydermonkey

Newly Enlightened
On belt:
Surefire G2 w/KX4 head and McClicky hardpress switch in V70 holster

In car/duty bag:
Magcharger w/ Terralux TLE-300EX
Stinger w/ Terralux TLE-ST1
Maglite 2D w/ Malkoff drop-in

On patrol rifle:
Surefire 6P w/ KX4 head

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
It has been nice to read about cops who use lights other than Surefire and Streamlight. I got hooked on fenix several years ago and I have been using them ever since. I have a TK 21 on my belt and I use a TK 30 in my sap pocket. I had a TK 11 on my belt for two years and just recently upgraded to the TK21. +1 on lights that always come on in high mode... usually need that RIGHT NOW... if I need a low mode for vehicle search or ticket writing I usually have control of the scene and have both hands free.

Also +1 on clicky tailcaps, for me using a twisty tailcap failed more times then it worked. Wearing gloves when it is cold made finding a side switch hard with stingers, never have to look with a tail switch

Sad there are not more Fenix guys so far, most of the guys at my station have started using fenix lights and lots of other guys throughout the Dept. I even have friends from other neighboring agencies that started using Fenix once they saw the performance and the PRICE.

So far no reliability issues with any lights and I am sure you guys know how hard the average cop is on gear, one of my partners has a TK 30 that looks like it went through a cement mixer... still works great.

I have a Fenix TA20. It is one heavy duty light and keep it on my rifle.

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
Weapon
- Streamlight TLR2s on my G21

Primary(On belt in a modified SF V71 holder)
- Armytek Predator CREE XP-G R5 SMO/BLK

Secondary(On belt in a modified SF V71 holder)
- Olight M21X XM-L

Oh Crap Light(On Vest Strap)
- SF E2E w/ TNVC TLS Head

And I keep an Olight M31Triton w/ a M21X tailcap in the car that I can use in place of the M21X while searching larger areas.

V71 Holders modified like Angelofwar. (post #19)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?167156-surefire-V70-holster-scratches-my-6PD

bwcaw

Enlightened
Agreed. I find most of the folks I work with are incredibly brand loyal for anything work related. Doesn't matter if your talking boots, weapons, duty gear, foul weather gear, or flashlights most people do the "been using XXXX for years". I get why they are brand loyal, our lives can depend on this stuff after all, but I always liked checking out what other officers are using. I think I am a little more open to improvements in products and technology than most. Only time will tell if they are the ones playing it smart with their brand loyalty though.

Sometimes brand loyalty has very good reasoning behind it. I have been a cop for a few years now and have carried a few different brands of flashlight (streamlight, Fenix, Surefire, etc) but I keep coming back to Surefire. The reason is their customer service and the quality and design that go into their lights. Most surefire lights are purpose built for a law enforcement/military user. They have well thought out features that actually work for the intended use and they stand behind their product 100%. I have been a loyal customer of theirs for 10+ years and will continue to do so because there is literally no other competing brand that has the combination of functional design, durability, initial quality longevity and customer service that Surefire has had over the years and continues to have.

I currently have a Surefire C2 LED on my duty belt and an LX2 as backup. I carry an X300 with DG17 on my Glock 22 and have an M3LT as a large duty light for night shifts.

Surefire lights just work.

Some examples: Fenix tk 11 has a "combat grip" body similar to the surefire Z series. The combat grip was initially designed for use with a handgun and intended to be held like a syringe using the "rogers" technique. The TK 11 has the grip ring, but is very poorly designed for this use. The tail cap has sharp crenelations on it that dig into your hand if you attempt to use this method. Obviously designed by someone who saw a picture of a Surefire or Gladius and thought it looked cool without understanding the practical application of the grip ring.

Insight weapon lights. I have an insight procyon weaponlight. Its basically insight's answer to the surefire x200/x300. Well made light, bright and has a strobe feature which the Surefire x series do not. However, the light has a well documented problem when used in conjunction with the most common duty weapon around, the Glock model 22. The light will mount to the weapon's dust cover and lock on, but under recoil will fly off the weapon after only 4 or 5 rounds have been fired. Obviously they did not adequately test the light prior to shipping the units out. When customer service was contacted regarding this issue, they pretended it was the first time they had heard of it, even though a google search will reveal many other instances of this very thing.

I am not bashing these brands, they make good lights, but what Im trying to say is Surefire tests their products more thoroughly before they put them out on the street and they stand behind them when they do break. I once had an old M2 centurion. The light was never advertised as being waterproof, but I had a problem with the light fogging up on the inside after I had submerged it in water. I contacted surefire and they exchanged the light for a brand new one no questions asked. I broke the lens on my C2 one day, I contacted Surefire CS and they sent me a new bezel for it free of charge, no questions asked. I have never bought a surefire and regretted it.

I also feel somewhat better supporting a US company with my hard earned money than funneling it into the pockets of our new overlords, the chinese. Just my 2 cents.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Since starting this thread I have ordered the Klarus XT 11 and P1C along with a 4Sevens Maelstrom S12. I have a feeling once they come in my duty lights will be changing yet once again. I am very curious about the S12 and really looking forward to giving it a few "real world" tests. This light will be my first from 4Sevens and my first step beyond a 18650 power source. I'll be watching the mailbox closely until they arrive.

spc smith

Enlightened
Luvbelly,

I think your going to quite like the Klarus XT11=). I had my doubts about its step down. It seems to be a superior light (except plastic cigar grip ring) in every way possible. I just ordered mine too. Again, wifey was PISSED lol. I pay bills though so just the last time babe! no more fafights! lol But as we were back on topic of duty lights.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about using rechargeable batteries in your lights:

Has it ever been an issue trying to swap cells "on the fly", while in the field?

-Trevor

AusKipper

Enlightened
Im not in law enforcement, but if I was I would have a 4Sevens Neutral 123 Turbo.

Press a button it comes on max, press a button again it turns off. I can fool about with it if I want less light for more burn time (i would adjust the secondary mode not the primary) but in a high stress situation I dont want to be able to do anything by accident other than either turn it on to max output, or turn it off again.

The sheath that comes with the 4Sevens light I imagine would be far from ideal for law enforcement though (too hard to put away), so I might want to try and find something more suitable for it.

Thats just me though :)

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Luvbelly,

I think your going to quite like the Klarus XT11=). I had my doubts about its step down. It seems to be a superior light (except plastic cigar grip ring) in every way possible. I just ordered mine too. Again, wifey was PISSED lol. I pay bills though so just the last time babe! no more fafights! lol But as we were back on topic of duty lights.

I had a post disapear so Ill try again...... My Klarus XT11 and P1C arrived tonight. I am playing.....I mean experimenting with them now. As always very happy with the performance and build quality. The P1C will be an awesome EDC light for me and the holster for the 11 has already been placed on my duty belt. Really looking forward to the 4Sevens S12 arriving later this week. There is little doubt for me this will also go on the duty belt as my primary with the 11 acting as a back up. I have shot my one light a month pledge to all heck. I am sure the bill is not the only price I will pay for three lights in one month.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened

Has it ever been an issue trying to swap cells "on the fly", while in the field?

-Trevor

Not for me. I picked up a couple 18650s and always make sure to drop a new one in every day or two. Considering how much I use the light this is without a doubt overkill. I'd rather be safe than sorry. There is really no difference with rechargeable vs regular batteries. Both can fail and you need to have replacements available. Yes, in the case of regular batteries you can run to almost any store, but in the field regardless of power source you need to be prepared regardless.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Luvbelly,

My XT11 and P1C came in tonight. I love both lights. Playing....I mean experimenting with both as I type this. Very happy as always with the performance and quality. Really looking forward to the S12 getting here. When it does I expect my new duty lights to be it and the XT11. My XT2C will be my primary home light.

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened

-Trevor

I only use primaries in my duty lights. I have found that if I drop my light or something impacts the light sometimes the rechargeables will shut off. I dont want my light to shut off until either the batteries are depleted or I turn it off. I just keep 2 primaries in a delrin sleeve inside my pants pocket. I save the rechargeables for camping trips and night time walks with the family and pets.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
A new purchase yielded yet another change to the duty belt. Now residing next to the Klarus XT11 is a 4Sevens maelstrom S12. Some co-workers don't care for the size of the S12 but I like it. The light has a nice feel in hand and is still small enough to be easily carried. It is an amazing amount of light considering it's size. This is my first light from 4Sevens and I am happy with the purchase. I have also been thinking about the Zebralight SC600. While a flood kind of guy, I'm not sure if the SC may be to floody even for me.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
I carry the 3d issue mag light with the terra lux 1000 lumen insert plus the front bezel and rear glass breaker, hung of the belt.
I have a Sunwayman t20cs in a holder and a v10rt tied to my jacket.

Also carry the Jetbeam rrt 50 and the rrt 50 xml in the car as well I have two Scorpions one red lens and one blue.
Im alone in a massive area including ocean so I take what I can.....better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it......

Rudy222

Newly Enlightened
Very old school here. Streamlight SL-20 as a primary. However, I do carry a Jetbeam BC-10 in my sap pocket as a backup. I do like the "weapon" feature of the Streamlight compared to the Jetbeam though. In the past 28 years I have on more than one occasion had to use the Streamlight as a weapon rather than a light. (and it still has never failed me).