LED Compilation List

gnarlycreature

Newly Enlightened
Im sure there are many of you who found themselves on this board in search of a better led, a brighter bulb, or perhaps an altogether better flashlight. I am fairly new to this forum, but this isn't my first time here. I am wondering if there is a compilation or list of LEDS, best place to purchase, lumens at x amount of feet, power consumption,reviews, ect. floating around on these forums?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard! You just have to hang out and read/join the discussions. LEDs are in constant flux (pardon the pun). They are improved and new products released very often making lists challenging to keep up to date. There are discussions about many of the new LEDs and flashlight reviews here on CPF. So poke around and you may find what you are after and if not, ask away.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
LED's aren't cheap and easy to replace like bulbs. The closest I can think of is drop ins, which are easy, but not cheap due to all the extra parts that go with the LED. LED's are cheap, but just swapping an LED is not easy because it requires soldering and dealing with thermal adhesive or compound.

Last edited:

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering if there is a compilation or list of LEDS, best place to purchase, lumens at x amount of feet, power consumption,reviews, ect. floating around on these forums?

Even typically-used LEDs of today get updates, and their datasheets reflect this. You're sadly going to have to rely upon a member's personal knowledge or you're going to have to keep track of the LED maker's spec sheet. Example, the Cree XM-L series had an update recently bringing out the U2 series bins, which have higher efficiencies. Unfortunately, due to this LED industry change, there is no one spec sheet listing for all the LEDs we deal with. Even LEDs from ten years ago might have newer and better specs today, despite having the same code/bin number.

gnarlycreature

Newly Enlightened
LED's aren't cheap and easy to replace like bulbs. The closest I can think of is drop ins, which are easy, but not cheap due to all the extra parts that go with the LED. LED's are cheap, but just swapping an LED is not easy because it requires soldering and dealing with thermal adhesive or compound.

I have a lot of experience re- flowing and working with (soldering) pcbs and have done a lot of r&r of 0603 surface mount LEDs.
I am trying to avoid asking what's the best LED for my current project.