Led Traffic Lights Dying Already.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps they knew the likelihood of one (and hence 4) LED failing and decided "eh, they're pretty cheap, and 4 LEDs failing is nothing compared to saving money"

Plus, I bet it's tricky running off mains

RODALCO

Newly Enlightened

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. Maybe the green is just on more often, or the lifespans are shorter. I'd imagine that at an intersection with an inductor coil and where one road is much busier than the other then the green would be on most of the day, likewise with the red on the perpendicular road. Perhaps it has gone unnoticed because it is less likely for one of us to travel one of those roads. It might be worth a trip down the less-driven perpendicular road to see if the same is true of the reds. I suppose the yellow would last the longest in most cases.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. Maybe the green is just on more often, or the lifespans are shorter. I'd imagine that at an intersection with an inductor coil and where one road is much busier than the other then the green would be on most of the day, likewise with the red on the perpendicular road. Perhaps it has gone unnoticed because it is less likely for one of us to travel one of those roads. It might be worth a trip down the less-driven perpendicular road to see if the same is true of the reds. I suppose the yellow would last the longest in most cases.
Another is that the green LEDs are likely less efficient than the other colors. Particularly for older fixtures that are several years old, green LED efficiency was quite low back in those days, so my guess is they might be driven harder than the reds in general. Very very few engineers I know are aware of how sensitive LEDs are to overdrive, that is, how expected life of LEDs (particularly epoxied 5mm LEDs) drops so severely due to increasing the current.

If I were designing street light assemblies though, I would want to overengineer the fixture assuming a worst case scenario: make the fixture robust enough to survive a 100% ON duty cycle, with record high ambient temp and humidity, and dirty mains power supply. Also use circuit boards aimed at surviving wide temperature swings -- Many of the failure modes I've seen in some of the oldest LED traffic lights (at least 10 years old) are single strips of flickering off an on, which wuold suggest a broken wire or trace on the circuit board, probably from thermal expansion/contraction over the years, causing a break on the circuit board.

For one, most of those fixtures have relatively few 5mm LEDs spread pretty far apart. They have room to fit more than 10x as many LEDs on the surface if they wanted to. IMO a reasonable approach would be to use 4x more LEDs in the same surface area, and drive them at maybe ~20% of the current as before, and get the same overall brightness with substantially less heat. 5mm LEDs are not that expensive, the extra unit price of those 5mm LEDs and circuitry would likely be less than the cost of the labor to replace something like traffic lights even once. Not to mention reliability/safety.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I'm glad to have found this thread. I've been wondering about why so many of the LED traffic signals have individual LED's out. I've had a snicker or two about our local idiot tree hugger city council buying into a "green" technology that doesn't work.

However, the LED lights are usually brighter than the incandescent lamps they replace. I've never seen an LED signal where there were enough of the lights out to make it hard to see the signal color. Even the worst LED signal has been brighter than the average incandescent.

The incandescent traffic signal bulbs do fail completely when they burn out, and the LED signals seem to loose some light, but still have more than enough light to do the job.

Do we have a real problem with LED traffic lights, or just something that looks bad?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's certainly a real problem, but less of one I think than the old Incan traffic lights had. Like you said the visibility even with half the lights out is still MUCH better during daytime than incan traffic lights. But that doesn't mean that it's "okay" for half the lights to be out, it's absolutely preventable, and I'm sure that most newer led traffic lights made in the last couple years have fixed the problem(or at least it should be fixed, there's no excuse now really).