LensLight new (proto) website and show your lights

B@rt

Flashaholic
I had the light shipped to csshih to review it and came up with another problem...

According to this pdf document it is waterproof:
DESIGN CONCEPT

We were looking for a small flashlight in the realm of about 2.8 to 2.9 ounces that would be smooth of contour, so that it could fit into a pocket or purse and not be obtrusive. We wanted a light with great endurance that would not inadvertently drain the batteries. We wanted a light that was waterproof, environmentally tough and able to withstand being dropped. Too sum it up, we wanted a light that was beautiful, smoothly contoured, compact and ergonomically sound to handle and do all the things that we described.
While testing it in the kitchen sink it became apparent this is not the case.

Third, although minor, it seems the emitter isn't perfectly centered.

I have asked for an exchange, I will post the outcome here.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mini has a small bubble in the aspheric too, it doesn't seem to affect the beam at all. I haven't tested its waterproofness.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hmm, I'd like to hear from more owners if they have the same bubble or not, maybe they changed the source for their lenses and this is the way they all look now? :shrug:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to quote something from their website:

Candlepower vs. LUX: With most flashlights, their brightness is measured in terms of candlepower, or lumens.

Who can spot the flaw.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Well, I got a reply from Lenslight about my light and I will send it back for inspection. :)
The "bubble" is not a flaw:
The imperfection in the lens is actually the two lenses meeting, this illusion does not affect the beam quality, the out-put, or the integrity of the lens system. The PDF you are referring to is a PDF for our Model 01 and Model 02 lights that are no longer available. For more information and specs on the LensLight Mini please visit www.Lens-Light.com/store. The LensLight Mini is designed to be waterproof, however in order to convert this system from weather-proof to waterproof you will need a secondary waterproof twisty tail cap. Although these tail caps are not available at this time, we hope to have these in production by mid 2010.

Kudos Lenslight for a quick and satifying answer. :thumbsup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mr. Ted Bear picked up one of these for me a number of years ago and I have had it in a drawer ever since. Very impressive machine work and feature set. I was surprised they didn't get more notice on CPF but then the light is "different". Mine is probably an early version and the tail cap with variable control struck me as something requiring considerable care and attention in battery change; given the three small wires that connect it to the light body. I also figured they were an easy target for Mag (actual justification never being an issue).

Mine doesn't say Lenslight on it anywhere. In the logo, instead of Lens Light I have two graphics engraved. Mine is also a 2xAAA light. If the long number engraved around the head is a serial number then should I make something of the fact that mine has 000001 engraved on it?

My light also has a "turbo" head on it 1 3/16" OD. This might be the same lens package as the current lights but with a AAA battery tube just looks like a turbo head?

I think that's cool that they have some using the GDuP converter!! :thumbsup:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
seems severely over-priced...and the last product i bought that measured in lux was a fleabay P60 dropin (before i found CPF) it was angry blue and a self-destructed within weeks. Call me a skeptic but looks like they scanned CPF for an hour and then decided to build a flashlight They don't state what type of LED it is, they charge extra for the clip and the pouch, and i'm not really sure what the difference is between premium grade and generic "o-rings" but premium grade is apparently an advertising feature...i dunno...i would buy one for 29.95, not for 159.95 (i looked at the mini). Obviously I'm not holding one in my hands, but judging from the advertising, my mental spam filter kicked in pretty hard... I don't know if i can quote their website but i'll try and if the mods edit thats ok, but from the weaponlight description:

"This rugged American Made weapon light system has been vigorously tested and has proven itself as the longest lasting most durable weapon light on the market. For the finest in weapon light technology, look no further than LensLight."

I think we would have heard about that...i guess i'm just cynical

post tenebras

Enlightened
Trying to order one of these is as frustrating as trying to order a Peak!

Emailing and calling LensLight has gotten me nowhere.:thumbsdow

loszabo

Enlightened
Ohhh, boy...

I've accquired (won it in an auction) my LensLight in a forum, so I can't comment on dealing directly with them. TAD Gear also offers those lights, but there seems to be troubles with restocking as well.

As the company took several months to update the website and no new posts are going on in the sub-forum, I guess/hope they are busy.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to order one of these is as frustrating as trying to order a Peak!

What's so hard about ordering a Peak spotlight? I just got my Peak 10 mcp Halogen spotlight locally last week (Big Lots - $20) so maybe I can offer some advice.

You can PM me about Peak spotlights if you'd like to keep this thread on topic. :)

loszabo

Enlightened
seems severely over-priced...and the last product i bought that measured in lux was a fleabay P60 dropin (before i found CPF) it was angry blue and a self-destructed within weeks. Call me a skeptic but looks like they scanned CPF for an hour and then decided to build a flashlight They don't state what type of LED it is, they charge extra for the clip and the pouch, and i'm not really sure what the difference is between premium grade and generic "o-rings" but premium grade is apparently an advertising feature...i dunno...i would buy one for 29.95, not for 159.95 (i looked at the mini). Obviously I'm not holding one in my hands, but judging from the advertising, my mental spam filter kicked in pretty hard... I don't know if i can quote their website but i'll try and if the mods edit thats ok, but from the weaponlight description:

"This rugged American Made weapon light system has been vigorously tested and has proven itself as the longest lasting most durable weapon light on the market. For the finest in weapon light technology, look no further than LensLight."

I think we would have heard about that...i guess i'm just cynical

I read several mini-reviews and decided to grab one. As I die-hard SureFire fan, this was my first AA light. The Mod 03 is very similar (output, build, quality) to my LX2, except for the different batteries and the variable beam. The LensLight tailcap is as good as a SureFire click-on tailcap, which in several cases is an expensive after-market item (e.g. for the 6P, M2, etc.) with SureFire.

I'm not believing every hype in the tactical industry, but this Hollywood studio equipment company is indeed producing a very fine flashlight in limited batches. So, I think calling this kind of semi-custom light too expensive is unfair, as it can be directly compared with a SureFire light w/o any doubts. I hope the price will go down, when they start producing more.

Yes, the comment on the weapon light might be too much marketing BS, but other companies aren't that perfect either.

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened
So...Can anyone make a recomendation for either the AA or 123 version?
Is the Mini 2 (123) better because it has 2 stages with the Gdup converter?
Can the Model 3 compete with the likes of Fenix and 4-Sevens in the AAx2 category?
Is there a clear winner here?:thinking:
I can only get one...and even that's a stretch!

Latest posts