Let's Hear Your Accent

Why is it everyone has an accent when they pronounce Nicaragua? What's up with people sounding like some guy with a weeks worth of unshaved, black, stubble and a big sweaty cigar protruding from their mouths?

~ Chance

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Back in the 80s I spent a couple of weeks doing some work on Long Island. When I was talking about it iwith a co-worker afterwards, he asked me which airport I was flying out of. I said "Lah-guah-dee-ah." He then said "Oh! Sounds like you pickled up the local accent," and my response was "Huh? What are you talking about?" Co-worker: "The way you pronounced the airport." And I said "Well that's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced, so I thought that's how it's supposed to sound!"

Now excuse me while I sip on my cawfee. :p

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was born in Washington, D.C. and we moved to upstate NY (outside of Albany) when I was 9. Man, did the other kids give me a hard time. Lost that accent fast. Then we moved to Westchester, north of the city and I was expecting a Bronx accent. But no real accent. I don't think that I have much of an accent, but there are some words that I just can't pronounce. Also, I've spent a lot of years overseas and speak slowly. Not as slow as a Southerner though.

My wife is Japanese and her English is good - we only argue in English and she still wins every time. She works hard on the Ls and Rs and does pretty good. But "oh really" comes out like an Irish name - "O'Leary." I never say anything.