Line up for basic woods bumming

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks brother. Here is one of my older 1XAA favorite setups. Fenix LD10 and ZL H501. Wouldn't have any problem cracking those out again.

Definitely can't go wrong with those. I carry 18650 mostly now but I put together an anker solar panel a I cell nitecore charger 5v and USB cord with a voltage meter to see how much power the sun is putting out if cloudy. It's not real heavy and it does take awhile to charge but sure comes in handy. I'll see if I can locate puctures.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I'm looking for a way to recharge cells in the field. How well does that setup work? In direct sunlight only? How long to charge? Details...

I keep reading reviews on web sites about many different solar panels, but can't justify purchasing one without more information than they offer. This is one subject that I don't want to spend time buying, using, and buying another, and using, and buying another...etc... I would like to get something that I know is proven to work.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I'm looking for a way to recharge cells in the field. How well does that setup work? In direct sunlight only? How long to charge? Details...

I keep reading reviews on web sites about many different solar panels, but can't justify purchasing one without more information than they offer. This is one subject that I don't want to spend time buying, using, and buying another, and using, and buying another...etc... I would like to get something that I know is proven to work.

I did a few video reviews of my Allpowers Solar panels. They're really inexpensive so bought like 3 of them. Didn't review them till had a year under my belt. Got the videos if you would like to see um. That said truth be told most of the thru hikers are using USB power packs to run their phones etc. Their headlamps and lights are AA/AAA primaries or rather that's what I saw. Sometimes I take an Anker to power the phone and camera in the woods along with extra batteries. IMHO it's better to just carry power aka batteries. Aw heck I can run a 18650 3400 mAh for a long time in the woods within terms of actual use aka night hiking to camp and bumming around. Never mind that spent 5 days in the woods a few weeks ago using only one 14500 and Eneloop pro.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a few video reviews of my Allpowers Solar panels. They're really inexpensive so bought like 3 of them. Didn't review them till had a year under my belt. Got the videos if you would like to see um. That said truth be told most of the thru hikers are using USB power packs to run their phones etc. Their headlamps and lights are AA/AAA primaries or rather that's what I saw. Sometimes I take an Anker to power the phone and camera in the woods along with extra batteries. IMHO it's better to just carry power aka batteries. Aw heck I can run a 18650 3400 mAh for a long time in the woods within terms of actual use aka night hiking to camp and bumming around. Never mind that spent 5 days in the woods a few weeks ago using only one 14500 and Eneloop pro.
I would like to see your videos . That's really cool. Thx

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
This is awesome guys!

I know I have a hard time actually killing my batteries. It's very seldom I need the highest setting of any light have, honestly it's too much for most tasks.

Investing in a decent solar charger would be a great way to go though.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast

It charges at 5 volts it takes a while but so do my in house chargers . I'll do a time test for you and report back here and in a pm. With pictures.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I ended up with an AllPowers 16w solar panel and a Liitokala single battery charger. Works great in direct sunlight. Have yet to try on an overcast day.

IMG_20161010_142932_zps63gas6tk.jpg

IMG_20161010_142955_zpsp3fmikj2.jpg

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up with an AllPowers 16w solar panel and a Liitokala single battery charger. Works great in direct sunlight. Have yet to try on an overcast day.

IMG_20161010_142932_zps63gas6tk.jpg

IMG_20161010_142955_zpsp3fmikj2.jpg
Well done tex you'll be happy with your solar set up. I have 2 now both capable of running 2 single 18650 chargers. I use it daily off grid!!

JS_IN_KY

Newly Enlightened
I started out hiking with my Zebralight H51W and a Quark QT2A-X. I wanted everything to run on Eneloop AAs so my lights and GPS would all use the same type of battery. I changed out my headlight to a H52FW to get more flood and used that setup for quite a while until I lost my Quark on the trail. I ended up replacing the Quark with a Zebralight SC600W MKII. Now I'm debating on whether I should stay with the AA headlight or change over to a 18650 one so I can share the same batteries with my flashlight. We've done a lot of hiking over the last year and our Zebralight H52Ws have really worked well for us, I also got one for each of my sons.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started out hiking with my Zebralight H51W and a Quark QT2A-X. I wanted everything to run on Eneloop AAs so my lights and GPS would all use the same type of battery. I changed out my headlight to a H52FW to get more flood and used that setup for quite a while until I lost my Quark on the trail. I ended up replacing the Quark with a Zebralight SC600W MKII. Now I'm debating on whether I should stay with the AA headlight or change over to a 18650 one so I can share the same batteries with my flashlight. We've done a lot of hiking over the last year and our Zebralight H52Ws have really worked well for us, I also got one for each of my sons.
18650 for sure:)

JS_IN_KY

Newly Enlightened
18650 for sure:)

That's what I'm thinking about doing is going with a H600FW to go along with my SC600W. I'm really enjoying being able to run the light on brighter settings and still get good runtimes. That's always a trade off on the AA lights, at high lumen settings you don't get much runtime!

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
That's what I'm thinking about doing is going with a H600FW to go along with my SC600W. I'm really enjoying being able to run the light on brighter settings and still get good runtimes. That's always a trade off on the AA lights, at high lumen settings you don't get much runtime!
I'm on that fence to, just picked up a thrunite th20 that I want to run on eneloops for a bit. The ui is what I liked, that must be available in 18650s as well though.