List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches - with IMAGES

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A matrix of interoperability/proprietary fitment would also be helpful. Though the A2 and L1 have ACME threads, their tailcaps are not interchangeable. I used to run a K2 tailcap on my L5 and got two light levels (!).

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you read this?
The L1, L2 and A2 all use the Z62.

Well, you know what, you are RIGHT. For some reason my memory this am said they aren't the same. They are. ARGH. I used to interchange them between my A2 and L1.

OK, I admit it... blonde moment, and not the first. Sheesh.

Apologies one and all.

Sigh.

Its been that kind of week. Chronos, out.:tinfoil::mecry:

DM51

Flashaholic
Does anyone have a SW01 'slim' version? OK, obviously someone does, or there wouldn't be a pic there lol, but how rare are they?

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Aloha Tazambo,

With the introduction of the E1B, you now have a little updating to do. :naughty:

Thank you for a very informative post.

Bill

EV_007

Enlightened
Great job. Good to see faces to the tail ends.

I was just thinking of different options for my SF lights and just happen upon this post.

Most excellent. I agree, this would make a nice sticky.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
My Z41-BK for my 9P doesn't have the dimple in the knurling. It does have the groove on the edge of the tailcap....im guessing the Z41-BK pic you have is the old version?

Steve

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anatomy Of A Z59

Anatomy of a Z59 (C Series) click-on, lock-out tailcap (previous revision):
tailcap.png

Below are comparative looks at the latest Z59 assembly revision versus the previous:
revisions.png

Past failures could usually be attributed to the loosening of the assembly (possible dethreading from the tailcap shell) and slippage of the plastic toothed parts.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, apologies if something I'm about to say appears above... I tried to skim the thread as well as I could, but did so with a background din of three happy, crazy little boys running around trashing the house! :eek:oo: Please take pity on me if I missed something.

[size=+1]E-Series Clickies[/size]

I've noticed there have been several generations of these... in rough chronological order...

1. Z57 on L4, which had a tendency to get stuck in the on position. A few longtime CPFers had discovered a recipe for surgically correcting the problem. These have been off the market for quite some time, replaced with later revisions of the Z57.

2. Z57 with less tendency to stick, but still not perfect. Typically doesn't require surgery. This one has a black plastic post holding the spring on the inside.

3. Z57 with further improvement on the smoothness front. This one looks similar on the inside to #2 above, except the spring post is made from white plastic rather than black.

4. The clicky introduced with the E1B contains yet another revision of the clicky guts. The plastic spring post remains white but there is a solid metal ring around it. Seems to be the softest, smoothest, and quietest action yet.

[size=+1]SW01 Terminology[/size]

It's become commonplace for folks to refer to the more aggressive SW01 as the 'fatty'... not sure what the more refined one is called though... 'thinny'?

Speaking personally, I've been known to have nicknames for the versions of the SW01 related to what they remind me of... the more aggressive is the 'millstone' and the more refined is the 'bakers cap.'

:shrug:

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Woo Hoo, it been listed in a sticky thread...

Now, does anyone (? Size15's) know the z-number of the new E1B backup tailcap. And a better image than the one I have.

Steve, you'd be right, the Z41-BK image is different to the one off my 9P. I'd say the dimple in the knurling is an older style.

Regards
Dave

Size15's

Flashaholic
Now, does anyone (? Size15's) know the z-number of the new E1B backup tailcap. And a better image than the one I have.
It has no Z-number that I'm aware of (although I've not been keeping track recently.

Since it is only used by one model I doubt it'll have one.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also be interested in a different thread listing the various SureFire bezels, with pictures. I'm sure plenty of people would find this to be a useful resource with the popularity of SureFire "lego" as it is. Unfortunately my knowledge of the Z-numbers for anything other than tailcaps is poor at best.

Regards,
Tempest

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches

Z52 - Natural HA twisty lockout (E series)(*Discontinued*)
SF_Z52.jpg
Please do not taunt me with pictures of the venerable Z52. I am still waiting for Surefire to ship out my not so venerable replacement Z57...
Z57 - Natural HA clicky (E series)
SF_Z57.jpg
Stupid thing! I have no idea why they changed it. My little E1e is not getting any love now that it does not work. I have written to Surefire, indicating my disgust at the Z57, and requesting the return of the Z52 :thumbsup:.

Great post :twothumbs:, really good info, especially for those wanting to indulge in a little LEGO.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's a new one for you guys. This is the same as the Z52, but BLACK. No, it's not a Z54 though. Here's a partial ordered list of sorts of the versions of black E Series hotwires:

1) E2-BK = all black Type II with finish similar to a black "Classic" Series light (ex.: 6P)
2) E2e-BK = black HAIII body and head, standard Type II Z54 tailcap - these were shipped this way, even though the tailcaps didn't fully match.
3) E2e-HA-BK = ALL black HAIII, including push/twist tailcap - somewhere between 20 and 50 of these, from what I'm told (this is one of those with no Z number)
2) E2e-BK or E2e-HA-BK = ALL black HAIII, including tailcap - Z61 tailcap

I've posted about the light here.

SF_E2e-HA-BK-e.jpg

SF_E2e-HA-BK-f.jpg

Last edited: