List of most of Surefire's Tailcap Switches - with IMAGES

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beretta1526,
What's "HAII" ?

So you're saying it's a Z54 except the Black is type III (HA) rather than type II

HAII is the shiny finish on the "Classic" series lights, the Satin Gray E2e, and on a MagLite. I don't recall where my documentation is on all the different types of anodization, but there are even different classifications for HAIII-Nat and HAIII with the black tint. IIRC, the black dye/tint makes it HA Type III, Class B or something like that. I'll see if I can find the documentation.

Anyway, the tailcap is the same exact finish as the rest of the light, like the Z61 tailcaps are. The old Z54 tailcaps (shiny) are HA Type II, which is not as durable as Type III. EDIT: Your purple A2 is most likely HAII. HAII is much easier to use colors and/or tints, as it doesn't change the structure of the aluminum nearly as much. The E2e-CJ and C2-CJ are also HAII.

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
I think Size15's was referring to the term "HAII"... It's either HAIII or Type II. No such thing as HAII

Size15's

Flashaholic
The term "HAII" is like saying "Hard Anodised Soft".
As mentioned anodisation can be either type II or type III. It can't be both as the processes are very different.

Another name for type III is 'Hardcoat' or 'Hard Anodised' (HA).

Within the [US] Military Specification MIL-A-8625 for type III anodised finish are two 'classes' - Class 1 has no dye (ie Natural), Class 2 has dye.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, now I get what you mean. It's been so long since I've been around, I forgot a few things. ;)

I'll correct the post with the TC pics.

alibaba

Enlightened
Wow, some of you folks really know alot about SF tailcaps! I got to this thread while looking for a twisty tailcap for my E1B but it looks like I'm about out of luck right? Here's hoping Size15's proves me wrong (seems like he's good at that :poke:). Does anyone out there have a twisty tailcap of any color that they can part with that will work on the E1B? Please PM me if you do and we can work something out.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if there were 2 versions of the scalloped tailcap on the e2d? There are 2 pictures on the e2d section of the SF sight. One cap looks completely flat while the other has a sort of gradient slope to it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Anyone know if there were 2 versions of the scalloped tailcap on the e2d? There are 2 pictures on the e2d section of the SF sight. One cap looks completely flat while the other has a sort of gradient slope to it.
The one you are referring to was a proto-type. I'm not aware of any having escaped SureFire.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Size 15's. That one looks really nice. Probably not so healthy for the hands though. I guess it has to be relegated to wallpaper status.:sigh:

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Great info!!! :thumbsup:

Is the Z68 an official Surefire product?

Reason is, I want to purchase it for my E1B but I can't find it on Surefire's website.

Batteryjunction also doesn't sell it. Only place I can find it is Brightguy.

An ebay seller who sells only Surefires hasn't heard of it before.

What other options are there of a grippier E1B?

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire have so many products not every dealer, nor SureFire's public face website can showcase them all.
Any Dealer should be able to order one for you - you'll need to contact the Dealer specifically requesting it.

Al

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to replace the stock 9P tailcap (Twistie lock-out) with a clickie that can stand on the tail...

There are many clickies listed but none appear to be tail-standable...

matt0

Enlightened
The Z49 is a clicky that will fit on your 9P. It has a rubber shroud around the button and will allow the light to tailstand.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many clickies listed but none appear to be tail-standable...

That does seem to be the case...

Some people have mentioned that the rubber shroud on the Z48, Z49 and SW02 is firm enough to allow tailstanding, and they all fit the 9P. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it though, especially with a long(ish) light like the 9P.

There are a couple of E-series tailcaps that can tailstand.

Regards,
Tempest

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the Zxx number for the G3 tailcap? Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought the G2 and G3 lock-out tailcaps are slightly different.

Also, is there a definitive number for the E2D scalloped tailcap (as compared to the non-scalloped one from the scoutlight?

Thanks,
Robert

Size15's

Flashaholic
What is the Zxx number for the G3 tailcap? Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought the G2 and G3 lock-out tailcaps are slightly different.
The G3/G3L uses the same LockOut TailCap as the G2Z/G2ZL. It's a different style to the G2/G2L LOTC. It doesn't have a Z-number.

Also, is there a definitive number for the E2D scalloped tailcap (as compared to the non-scalloped one from the scoutlight?
No - the E2DL/E2D crenelated TailCap does not have a Z-number, unlike the shrouded clickie TailCap used by the ScoutLight which is the Z68.
(btw, in SureFire terminology scallops are gentle whereas crenelations are aggressive)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G3/G3L uses the same LockOut TailCap as the G2Z/G2ZL. It's a different style to the G2/G2L LOTC. It doesn't have a Z-number.

No - the E2DL/E2D crenelated TailCap does not have a Z-number, unlike the shrouded clickie TailCap used by the ScoutLight which is the Z68.
(btw, in SureFire terminology scallops are gentle whereas crenelations are aggressive)

Cool, thanks for the info Size15's :twothumbs
Out of curiosity (I apologize if this is getting too off topic), will SureFire generally sell non z-numbered tailcaps if you call them (such as the G3/G2Z or the E2D/L tailcap) or is CPFMP one's best bet?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does seem to be the case...

Some people have mentioned that the rubber shroud on the Z48, Z49 and SW02 is firm enough to allow tailstanding, and they all fit the 9P. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it though, especially with a long(ish) light like the 9P.

There are a couple of E-series tailcaps that can tailstand.

Regards,
Tempest

I want something (1) clickie (2) ability to tail-stand with metal instead of rubber shroud... One would think that it's a pretty basic setup.