LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
I'm also interested in this. I have the 2XAAA version and would love to double my light output on this already fantastic light. I have a question though, was it very difficult to unscrew the head from the barrel? I've tried on the 2XAAA but it won't come loose. I've taken the switch end-cap off, and greased the threads, but that head won't come off! If you can post pics that would be great!

mike

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought but would the L0D head fit on the Stylus Pro 2 x AAA?

I'm going to try that tonight. I'm fairly certain the tail sections are identical. An LOD CE running on a pair of AAA Eneloops would be quite nice.

And, or course, all Fenix 1x AAA heads and bodies are interchangeable, so the MicroStream/Stylus Pro bodies and tails should work with any Fenix AAA head.

One curious point though... the joint in my MicroStream is at the junction between the body and the tailcap (just to the left of where the clip attaches to the tail section in the picture above), not between the body and the head. Maybe's there's two joints, and I just didn't notice it.

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
@Dark Vapor : I have only one 10440 (Ultrafire, unprotected) and it fits the streamlight bodies,
@Maikutis : there was a kind of glue on the threads,
@cac313 : the LOD head fits the Stylus Pro Body (2xAAA) and works !
lodheadstylusprobodywc1.jpg

@Nake : here are the threads, it seems to me that they are identical (very smooth to screw on)

lodmicrostreamstylusprone1.jpg

lodmicrostreamstyluspromc0.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
how did you get the head off the 2aaa?

mine is really on there

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
No, there isn't any contact, the streamlight head is too long, a small gap remains ...

But this way we´ll have spare battery carrier from L0D body and Microstream´s head. It should be very "no accidental switch on" proof..

and head will of course serve as spare light head and alternative version if you want switch back to simple one-mode light.

A killer combo :twothumbs

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
"@Dark Vapor : I have only one 10440 (Ultrafire, unprotected) and it fits the streamlight bodies, "

Thanks, cbubu. I think I'll be getting a Microstream, and running it with a 10440 and LOD Rebel head that's currently in transit.

Flashlike

Enlightened
BONDR006--you said "I found a local place that sells them for just $14.99".
Would you mind divulging where you found it? I checked all of the stores in my area that I **thought** might have one--****'s Sporting Goods, REI, Gander Mountain, and Cabela's. Nobody stocked the little guy.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Yes, I'd like to know too since I'm in your general area.
One thing I've noticed about my MicroStream, and others have mentioned it too, the switch has an odd sensitivity to sideways vibrations or impacts.
In other words, it presses normally and doesn't seem overly sensitive, but if it's laying on a table off and you tap or bang on the table like you're working on something, the MicroStream will flash on with each bump. Also if you lay it down it will flash on when it makes contact with the surface. This might make a multi-mode head a little more odd to use, but I guess if the head doesn't have a memory of the last level it would be ok. Just a note...

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure thing. There are two local places I found that has them. I called them both, and they both have them in stock.

DILLON SUPPLY COMPANY
440 CIVIC BLVD.
Raleigh, NC 27602
919-838-4200
800-662-7304

LAWMENS SAFETY SUPPLY INC
3319 ANVIL PLACE
Raleigh, NC 27603
919-779-6141
800-426-3486

Last edited:

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
just adding that not only the LOD head fits the Stylus Pro Body (2xAAA) but also that all levels work (w/ Alks or NiMh).
Regards,

judgecrandall

Newly Enlightened
So would the runtime be the same as a regular L0D?

Any chance this will work with other Fenix AAA lights?

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I've noticed about my MicroStream, and others have mentioned it too, the switch has an odd sensitivity to sideways vibrations or impacts.
Funny, my Microstream is not sensitive to sideways vibrations at all. Tapped it even on a couple of hard surfaces no problem.

But the switch on mine is VERY hard to get to click-on (momentary is fine). It requires too much activation pressure, so I've decided that I would not dismantle it and an L0D to make a Frankenlight. It's a pretty cool light on its own however, and for the price I like it.

It could be they have a few quality control issues however and the switch assembly might be a source of issues.

Next time I'm ordering something, I might just order another to see how the switch performs. Maybe I can break this one in.

Removing the switch looked difficult as no slots were in the retaining ring. I suppose I could drill a couple. Has anyone else disassembled the tail cap?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's not sensitive to any type of vibration either, at least right now. I smacked it all up, no problem. What I can't believe is that some of you guys got the head separated easily. I tried everything, finally got it off after squirting the seam with Tuf-Glide, putting the battery tube in a vise tight enough to slightly bend it out of shape, and then lock a vise-grip directly onto the metal head (*screeeeech*) to screw it off. Strap wrenches didn't work, nor did anything else until the extreme measures above. I put the battery tube back into the vise to bend it back into an "O" shape, works fine. Great job by the OP ... I never would have been persistent enough to get the head off that thing if I didn't already know the L0D fit on it.

Last edited:

Flashlike

Enlightened
Cbubu--I thought that this setup would be the perfect setup, so I **had** to order a Microstream to try it (I already have a Fenix L0D-CE).
The threads seem to match quite well, as you said. However, the switch on mine is a real bearcat..
StandardBattery said his switch was really hard to depress, too. In my opinion it is not acceptable. The momentary is OK, but I can't activate the switch (to constant on setting) using my thumb at all because it needs to be depressed too far to turn it on. And I can **barely** activate it using my index finger.
I'm sending mine back to Streamlight. I dislike a flashlight that is difficult to turn on and off!