Looking for info on USB memory sticks

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks Grubbster...on the way to check it out as soon as I log out here. I hope I didn't take your thread too far off topic? My apologies if I messed the thread up!

Grubbster

Enlightened
Sigman said:
Thanks Grubbster...on the way to check it out as soon as I log out here. I hope I didn't take your thread too far off topic? My apologies if I messed the thread up!
No problem. I am becoming really interested in these things and am interested in getting and sharing any info available. There are some really cool ways to set these up and use them. I have only scratched the surface so far. Truecrypt is a great way to encrypt your files if you are interested in that. I don't keep sensitive (financial) info on mine, but I do keep a lot of password information that I would not want in the wrong hands.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Kinigston DataTraveler II plus Migo edition. It's much cheaper than SanDisk and it might be faster. Kingston advertises its speed (13 MB/s write, 19 MB/s read) but SanDisk doesn't.

It doesn't have U3 but maybe Migo does the same thing. Anyway I don't have much use for Migo at this time.

I do like the DataTraveler part though. I have a small encrypted partition where I keep my passwords.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I have a Sandisk USB 2GB Cruzer Titanium U3 and I want to tell that I am very happy with it !!
I really like the U3 functionalities..because I have all my profiles with me for :
Opera 9.1 + Widgets (all links+ passwords)
All my email accounts (I have 5)
Gaim (inlcuding all my accounts and history)
Antivirus
Antispyware
A copy of "my documents" folder
Totalcommander
etc...
It is really nice to get all these informations with you in a such small key !!
And the Titanium cruizer is one of the quickest in data speed transfer.

IT's possible to include all the portable apps that you can find at this link :

http://portableapps.com/

Here is a link on how to include these applications on an U3 compatible device :
http://www.elitenews.org/2006/05/installing-programs-on-u3-smart-drive.html

But if you don't want U3, you could buy any USB key and install portablesapp applications too !!!
What I like the much is the possibilities to synchronize outlook and "my documents folder" with your desktop PC...

And now a Titanium 4GB U3 USB key are available for $140 !!

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1167)-NEW__SanDisk_Cruzer_Titanium_USB_Flash_Drive.aspx

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Is it difficult to remove the U3 software from a USB stick that comes with it? Are there instructions in the documentation that comes with these? I've been avoiding sticks that come with the U3 software preinstalled.

On a different tangent, I'm aware that you can use sticks with up to 4 GB of memory to speed up Windows Vista; it can use the stick instead of reading system files from the slower hard drive. (BTW, I have no plans for upgrading(?) to Vista for quite a while, if ever.)

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of those thumb drives that take a SD card. They are sometimes useful but they are slower than molasses in February. I don't know if it's the drive or the SD cards. It takes over 1/2 hour to write 512 megs of data.

For moving data from one computer to another, I now use my Kingston DataTraveler. Faster than greased lightning.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
Is it difficult to remove the U3 software from a USB stick that comes with it? Are there instructions in the documentation that comes with these? I've been avoiding sticks that come with the U3 software preinstalled.

Very easy to do. We bought a bunch of the SanDisk Micros at work and they came with U3. Fortunately SanDisk offers a removal tool.
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1415

I don't know if this removal tool works on other brands with U3, I have only tested it on SanDisk drives.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonBoy said:

On a different tangent, I'm aware that you can use sticks with up to 4 GB of memory to speed up Windows Vista; it can use the stick instead of reading system files from the slower hard drive. (BTW, I have no plans for upgrading(?) to Vista for quite a while, if ever.)
Easy as Pie - you can just format the whole drive IIRC - you don't even need their removal tool (but I'm sure that works fine too). It might be a second partition - forget what I did but it wasn't hard at all. Set mine up to boot Damn Small Linux (only 50 Megabytes includes browser, email nice GUI and about everything you could need). I added Opera and Wine so I can even run some Windoze proggies. With the USB drives getting as big as they are I've even thought of installing a limited size XP on one. Very cool gizmo's.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frencyled - sounds like a good setup and I see you are one of the lucky ones who have discovered Totalcommander :)
Frenchyled said:
I have a Sandisk USB 2GB Cruzer Titanium U3 and I want to tell that I am very happy with it !!
I really like the U3 functionalities..because I have all my profiles with me for :
Opera 9.1 + Widgets (all links+ passwords)
All my email accounts (I have 5)
Gaim (inlcuding all my accounts and history)
Antivirus
Antispyware
A copy of "my documents" folder
Totalcommander
etc...
It is really nice to get all these informations with you in a such small key !!
And the Titanium cruizer is one of the quickest in data speed transfer.

IT's possible to include all the portable apps that you can find at this link :

http://portableapps.com/

Here is a link on how to include these applications on an U3 compatible device :
http://www.elitenews.org/2006/05/installing-programs-on-u3-smart-drive.html

But if you don't want U3, you could buy any USB key and install portablesapp applications too !!!
What I like the much is the possibilities to synchronize outlook and "my documents folder" with your desktop PC...

And now a Titanium 4GB U3 USB key are available for $140 !!

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1167)-NEW__SanDisk_Cruzer_Titanium_USB_Flash_Drive.aspx

Dutch

Enlightened
RebelRAM said:
Very easy to do. We bought a bunch of the SanDisk Micros at work and they came with U3. Fortunately SanDisk offers a removal tool.

It works quick and easy also.

I forget how much space it clears up by removing it, but it was significant.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
bobisculous said:
Sandisk prices just recently dropped. The 2gb titanium mini is $43 on Newegg.

As far as reviews, Newegg will definately be your best bet. It is what made me happy with purchasing the drive I have, along with all the parts inside my computer.

-Cameron
I usually like Newegg but their 2GB titanium seems to be $58.99 at this time not $43. $45 or so is closer to what they can be had at quite a few places. Can anyone verify that they also see $58.99 at Newegg (I remember when some online retailers were placing cookies or other markers for return customers and some people would see different prices and pay more than others depending on what you had bought before).

ryball

Newly Enlightened
Another Sandisk 2gb titanium cruzer user here. I love Sandisk as a whole, and have never had a problem with the 20+ that I have bought for work.

ibcj

Enlightened
Watch Amazon. I bought my 2gb Titanium Sandisk for $39.99 last week.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
We like the SanDisk ones with the retractable port, no cap to lose. The only drawback I have found though is that when carried in a pocket, they seem to attract pocket lint. Not something you want to be cramming into your USB slots on your computer.

gorn

Enlightened
I have had a flash drive since the release of the 4MB "Thumbdrive". The only problem I have encountered was related to Windows XP (pre sp2) corrupting not only flash drives but USB HDD's as well. Once I learned the registry hack to get past that problem, and since sp2's release i've had no problems. I even had one drive accidentally dropped into a glass of Dr. Pepper and survive.

The last one I bought was a Trancend 2GB with built in fingerprint reader. This thing is great. when you plug it in it will show a user sized partition. When you authenticate it with your fingerprint it opens up the second invisible partition. I store some sensitive info and run some very expensive programs off of the flash drive. It is nice to have an easy way to protect it.

You have to make sure to back up all of your data onto something else. Once a flash drive corrupts, in my case because of win xp, you will not be able to recover the data in most cases.

wquiles

Flashaholic
gorn said:
The last one I bought was a Trancend 2GB with built in fingerprint reader. This thing is great. when you plug it in it will show a user sized partition. When you authenticate it with your fingerprint it opens up the second invisible partition. I store some sensitive info and run some very expensive programs off of the flash drive. It is nice to have an easy way to protect it.
Don't you have to install the USB drivers for this feature to work? Or is yours one of the new ones that is platform and driver independent?

Will

gorn

Enlightened
wquiles said:
Don't you have to install the USB drivers for this feature to work? Or is yours one of the new ones that is platform and driver independent?

Will
It autoplays the fingerprint reading software. No drivers to install. There was some complaints about the drive not reading fingerprints very well. I finally found out that you need to apply some presure to the reader as you swipe your finger over it and it works every time.