Low voltage LED options for the FM C-cell “C” bodies w/ SF KT-2 TH **More Beamshots**

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
So as not to excessively hijack Kestrel's thread, I will just mention that I finally built the 4P K-bin MC-E AW tower using a GD1000 boost-buck driver (250mA per core), all installed in a KT1/2 TH on top of a FiveMega 3xC body. Power supplied by 3xAccupower LSD NiMH cells, total resting voltage of about 4.03V.

Got a tailcap draw of 0.865A, hot spot lux of 4700 lux, and midpoint spill lux of 130 lux. Swapping the tower into an SRTH, I got 5000 and 130 lux. In comparison, a 2S2P K-bin MC-E AW tower driven by an SOB1000 buck driver (500mA per core) in a KT4 TH measured 6500 lux and 230 lux, respectively for hot spot and midpoint spill. The same tower in an SRTH measured 7400 and 220 lux. A tower with an SSC P4 U2SWOH-bin instead of a K-bin MC-E in an SRTH measured 13000 and 70 lux.

I'll post construction details and beam shots later in the Homemade and Modified Lights forum.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread..

M30 on 3xC does look a little brighter than M60...

As I said, I run M30 on 3xAA and at first, the alks are pretty bright but diminish quickly. Of course it rocks on 3xAA L91 Lithiums.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Great thread..

M30 on 3xC does look a little brighter than M60...
Thanks for the :thumbsup:.

re: the M30/3xC in this thread appears brighter than the M60/2x17500.
I know, I've been wondering about that exact observation in the 'underexposed' beamshots for quite some time now. Besides the possibility of an underachieving M60 (an older model that I have photos of here (the one on the top): https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2943772&postcount=18 ) or an overachieving M30, my other guess is as follows: The tint of my M60 is on the warm side, while this particular M30 is rather cool. Perhaps it might be a tint artifact that photographs differently in beamshots? (I'm only using a point&shoot Canon - set to manual - which tries to outwit me if I'm not paying attention.) Needless to say, I am not able to differentiate the brightness between the two Malkoffs visibly, but the photos suggest differently, as you've observed.

At any rate, the M60 I am using for a standard in this thread is a beautiful thing during actual use, the best of the five Malkoffs I've seen.

Edit: I know that the optics are different, but the older M60's supposedly have an optic that provides a smaller hotspot with possibly higher lux. Geez, I don't know...:confused: Your opinion on the hotspot size in the pics?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As I said, I run M30 on 3xAA and at first, the alks are pretty bright but diminish quickly. Of course it rocks on 3xAA L91 Lithiums.
I've been trying to pursuade a machinist friend of mine to make a 4xC body for his (used to be my) M30. It should be ~280 lumens at that voltage (as measured by MrG on a benchtop power supply). It would also make for a great baton.:huh:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good idea, but I suppose it might also depend on whether you like a tailcap button or a side button.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
How about cannibalizing a Mag 4C tube? Then all he has to make is a M30 -> Mag tube adapter.
The thing I really like about these FM bodies is that they take a P-series bezel so well, and that the threads on the head & tailcap are really nice, much better than the tailcap threads on those other bodies.:green:

Edit: You know, thinking about an FM 4xC and then looking at 26650's like in this new thread (3.7v nominal, 4000 mAh LiMn), https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232520
What would things be like with an FM 4xC body, three of the above would fit perfectly in a body of that length. There was much gnashing of teeth when the 3300 mAh LiIons left, 3x26650 has approximately the same watt-hours as 4xC(LiIon), but in a safe chemistry. If you could live with the length of a 4xC host, this would provide ~45 watt-hours vs ~20 watt-hours from 4xC alkaline.

:thinking: Now if someone had a FM 2xC that, when cut down, could fit one of those 26650's (diameter still could be the issue), that would make a great single-cell host and would blow away the AW IMR26500, providing 80% more runtime over the single 26500 for only 15 mm more body length. It would also provide ~40% more runtime than 2xC alkaline, and would be 35 mm shorter.

Ahh, the advantages of high voltage that I've eschewed for this build...;)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a size comparison of a 2C and 3C FM vs a 2C Maglite:
2Cand3CFMbodies2CMag.jpg

Rat6P

Enlightened
Bump from the past, but was just wondering if there have been any more developments in this area.
I am a big fan of the 2 cell format and these FM bodies are sweet.
How does a M31 fare in the 2 C body.

On a similar note I have been experimenting with similar dimension lights. I picked up a FM Megallenium 26500 x 2 and a custom module for Lumens Factory Seraph P7 TH. The driver is the same 3 mode that LF run in their 4.2v modules. The led is still a P7 with that beautiful creamy neutral tint LF have.
A great mod for what I wanted. Obviously not a thrower like the high voltage P7 module but it puts out as much light or more as a similarly driven xpg.

I have been thinking about an MD10 with an M31 driver for a normal M3 bezel. I have a spare bezel lying around and it looks good on the FM body.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hey there Rat6P. :wave:

Bump from the past, but was just wondering if there have been any more developments in this area.
I am a big fan of the 2 cell format and these FM bodies are sweet. How does a M31 fare in the 2 C body.

Probably pretty well - I really like the M31 since it is considerably better than the M30 in a number of respects. The thing is that I eventually sold off these setups of mine since I wanted to get away from the 'C' form factor - 18650's and Eneloop AA's are really nice and have gotten the bulk of engineering improvements by various manufacturers. I do agree that these FiveMega bodies seem to be extraordinarily well-made, the only bodies I've seen (personally) that were considerably nicer than any of my SureFire hosts.

Edit: Looking back at those beamshots, I do miss that throw a little; I don't have anything that does that quite so well ...

Last edited: